Notable Chicano physicians (MD/DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poetic Silence

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a first generation Mexican American, a first generation high school graduate, a first generation college student and an aspiring medical student. I'm anticipating the release of neurosurgeon turned Mexican immigrant, Alfredo Quiñones' autobiography. His story is an inspiring one that I'm hoping to share with my mother and father. In the mean time, I'm looking for some autobiographies and memoirs of Mexican immigrants or the children of Mexican immigrants who found success in the profession of medicine. So, I'd appreciate if you could throw some names my way.

Gracias,

Poetic Silence

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I met Dr. Eloy Rodriguez at a conference some time ago. He is not a physician but he is a scientist. A pretty revolutionary and inspiring one at that. I am not sure if he has a biography but I found this youtube clip of him speaking about his background and his views on science/medicine in his community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBf4uOWNbJk

You may consider sending him an email. He is extremely student friendly.

I remember seeing a Mexican M.D. Ph.D nuerosurgeon but I cant find his information now. I'll post it at a later time if I come across it.

Hope this helps

Lol wow, I graduated from Cornell last year and I took one of Rodriguez's classes. Very inspiring man. If you reach out to him, I'm sure he knows some notable Mexican physicians. For one of our classes, he brought in a prominent Hispanic physician (not sure whether they are Mexican/Chicano).