Declared State of Residency for Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bewell24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just recently moved to Michigan. I was born and raised in Arizona, moved to Missouri for a post-bac program. I applied last year, using Arizona as my state of residence on medical school applications. I am considering changing it to Michigan for this application cycle (since there are 7 schools in Michigan, and only 2 in Arizona, also my boyfriend got a job here). I have searched for the requirements to declare residency on the AACOMAS and AMCAS, and was unable to find them. Does anyone know if or what those requirements may be? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on where to declare?!

Members don't see this ad.

Every state has different requirements to establish residency. Rather than finding residency requirements through AACOMAS/AMCAS, I found very detailed residency requirements for Louisiana through the websites of both their state schools. I'm sure the same can be said for Michigan! For AMCAS purposes, you literally just have to change your "State of Residency" in the application. It's the individual schools that will look into your residency prior to offering you an interview/acceptance. Hope this helps! I'm going through the process right now, so that's what I've gathered from my research.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Autoscreen state of residency: determined by what you put in AMCAS/AACOMAS/TMDSAS
2. Admissions state of residency (for instate preference): determined by each school's policy and/or state law, may include questions on secondaries about where you went to high school, may require you to submit proof
3. Tuition state of residency: determined by state law and/or individual schools, usually requires establishment of domicile, managed by a completely different set of people than admissions

Think of instate preference/tuition as a perk your parents get for paying taxes all your life, generally, and assume that deviating from that story is going to require you to do work to prove your case.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Think of instate preference/tuition as a perk your parents get for paying taxes all your life, generally, and assume that deviating from that story is going to require you to do work to prove your case.
Or a punishment...

Or a punishment...
well, the discount's a perk. but based on the cash outlay from the parents of my classmates not just in med school but in residency, i see your point. self-sufficiency ain't happening until the kids are well into their 30's, apparently.

1. Autoscreen state of residency: determined by what you put in AMCAS/AACOMAS/TMDSAS
2. Admissions state of residency (for instate preference): determined by each school's policy and/or state law, may include questions on secondaries about where you went to high school, may require you to submit proof
3. Tuition state of residency: determined by state law and/or individual schools, usually requires establishment of domicile, managed by a completely different set of people than admissions

Thank you! So helpful!