Declination angle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weaselodeath

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of declination angles does everybody out there have on their loupes? I’m a D1 ordering my first set and my thought was that I would just get my lenses set to “as steep as possible,” but I don’t have any of the necessary experience to know if that will be a mistake. Will ~50 degrees be too much?

Members don't see this ad.

I have 35 because my loupes couldn’t be made with a steeper angle than that, but I was told to sit a few inches further from the patient to correct that. If you search online you’ll see that proper ergonomics require the declination angle to be around 40-50. 50 seems like too much, I think 40-45 would be ideal. But some manufacturers won’t let you have that steep of an angle due to the style of the loupes (i.e. through-the-lens, which is probably the most common style now). Best bet is to call up the various companies and ask to make appointments with their reps to find out what the different angles feel like. You want to find a good balance between minimal neck flexion and eye strain (from rotating your eyes downward too much if the angle is too steep).

Are Your Dental Loupes Causing Pain? | Posturedontics

Reactions: 1 users