Declining Abortion Meds soon to be a reality?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Make it over the counter so annoying homeschooled pharmacists can stop whining about having to dispense meds.

I know, I already said this earlier. It would remove the conflict and save the healthcare system money. Nobody reads my long, drawn out posts anymore. Ya damned bums.

I wouldn't judge all of them like that, though. Some of them legitimately think they are going to go to hell if they do it. No joke. The nicest girl I knew in pharmacy school couldn't handle being associated with the stuff. Is it mental illness? Maybe. I'm not trying to have a system that punishes people for being suboptimal, though. Just get someone else to do it. It's not that hard.

Saying that all real* Christians can't have jobs in pharmacy is silly...and a Slippery slope. Imagine a Hindu who won't dispense Armour thyroid due to its cow content getting the same amount of ****. He or she wouldn't. The only reason people are furious is because this is a political argument issue.

*Fake Christians that pick and choose what parts of their holy book to follow are what I call half assed Christians...and usually are fine with birth control. It's important to differentiate the two.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i'd be fine with making birth control OTC as long as there were a law requiring insurances to cover it

Reactions: 1 user
I know, I already said this earlier. It would remove the conflict and save the healthcare system money. Nobody reads my long, drawn out posts anymore. Ya damned bums.

I wouldn't judge all of them like that, though. Some of them legitimately think they are going to go to hell if they do it. No joke. The nicest girl I knew in pharmacy school couldn't handle being associated with the stuff. Is it mental illness? Maybe. I'm not trying to have a system that punishes people for being suboptimal, though. Just get someone else to do it. It's not that hard.

Saying that all real* Christians can't have jobs in pharmacy is silly...and a Slippery slope. Imagine a Hindu who won't dispense Armour thyroid due to its cow content getting the same amount of ****. He or she wouldn't. The only reason people are furious is because this is a political argument issue.

*Fake Christians that pick and choose what parts of their holy book to follow are what I call half assed Christians...and usually are fine with birth control. It's important to differentiate the two.
I would be just as outraged if I heard about someone not being able to get their armour thyroid or some pig based med from a muslim or jew. i don't care about the politics, i care about people not fulfilling their job (the main and core point of the retail pharmacist job is dispensing medication that conforms to the legal prescription while checking for drug interactions and prescription errors) because they are applying their personal beliefs to others. If they have such strong beliefs that even dispensing a medication is going to make them feel bad i think they should ensure they obtain a job that allows them an accommodation (by having other pharmacists available to fill or by taking a job that doesn't involve filling the objectionable medication) rather than forcing the accommodation on the patient.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i'd be fine with making birth control OTC as long as there were a law requiring insurances to cover it

While ideally, I'd like to see all healthcare be government administered with low copays...

...it is patently ridiculous that contraception (only for women) is the only thing that people flip out about being covered by insurance or not. Nobody can explain to me why this is the one magical medication that has to be covered. But, dammit, its a right all of a sudden. Where are the people protesting the fact that people with actual life threatening diseases have to pay copays for their medications? A business tries to not cover birth control and an army of psychotic idiots without any sense of how healthcare should be prioritized come out of the woodwork somewhere and raise hell. Someone please tell me I'm not the only one that questions the sanity of Americans in general when it comes to this ****.

The religious people are crazy, the feminists are crazy, everyone is ****ing crazy.

I would be just as outraged if I heard about someone not being able to get their armour thyroid or some pig based med from a muslim or jew. i don't care about the politics, i care about people not fulfilling their job (the main and core point of the retail pharmacist job is dispensing medication that conforms to the legal prescription while checking for drug interactions and prescription errors) because they are applying their personal beliefs to others. If they have such strong beliefs that even dispensing a medication is going to make them feel bad i think they should ensure they obtain a job that allows them an accommodation (by having other pharmacists available to fill or by taking a job that doesn't involve filling the objectionable medication) rather than forcing the accommodation on the patient.

So...you are saying that an objection is fine as long as the pharmacist has a reasonable backup for the patient? That's pretty much what I've said all thread.

So...you are saying that an objection is fine as long as the pharmacist has a reasonable backup for the patient? That's pretty much what I've said all thread.
That's actually what all of us have said this whole thread :thumbup:

There has to be a balance between the best interest of the patient and that of the pharmacist. If a patient is prescribed a prescription she should have the right to it. At the same time I understand for those who truly believe that abortion is murder this gets hairy. I think at minimum if you are going to object you need to inform someone before hand - I would feel like a real dingus if I prescribed something only to send my pt to a pharmacy that wouldn't serve her. If we are going to say that it's okay to refuse, it's only reasonable to let providers know ahead of time so that they can then send patients to the proper place that will dispense the drugs prescribed. Those seeking abortion have enough hoops to jump through already without adding having to drive around hoping someone will fill a freaking prescription. I have a real problem with the issue of access and I don't really have a solution to it.
First thing I said
:thumbup:

Others have taken a more "i can do what i want and the patient has to figure it out" sort of tactic. Also some discussion was held regarding what is reasonable backup. A two hour drive to get to someone willing to fill the med is not reasonable. Coming back the next day might but some people have transportation issues so unless they are informed ahead of time really the most reasonable thing is someone else there at the time to fill it (or to hand the thing over to the patient if it is filled and waiting)

related:
http://www.wgxa.tv/news/topstories/...iption-for-Miscarriage-Patient-299421801.html

Brittany Cartrett recently learned some bad news from her doctor about her pregnancy. She miscarried around five or six weeks along.

"So we made the decision to not do a D&C and to get a medicine. So he said I'm going to give you this medicine, you'll take it, and it will help you to pass naturally so that you don't have to go the more invasive route", said Brittany Cartrett.

The doctor's office called the Milledgeville Walmart to fill the prescription but they were told no and they were not given a reason.

"So we found another place to fill it but I still had to go up there to get another prescription so when I went up there she asked if I had any questions about this prescription I said no I don't but I do have a question about the other one. And she looks at my name and she says oh, well...I couldn't think of a valid reason why you would need this prescription", Cartrett said.

Cartrett told WGXA since posting her story on social media she's had several people message her who were in similar situations, one of whom had to go to five different pharmacies before she could get her medication.

related:
http://www.wgxa.tv/news/topstories/...iption-for-Miscarriage-Patient-299421801.html

Brittany Cartrett recently learned some bad news from her doctor about her pregnancy. She miscarried around five or six weeks along.

"So we made the decision to not do a D&C and to get a medicine. So he said I'm going to give you this medicine, you'll take it, and it will help you to pass naturally so that you don't have to go the more invasive route", said Brittany Cartrett.

The doctor's office called the Milledgeville Walmart to fill the prescription but they were told no and they were not given a reason.

"So we found another place to fill it but I still had to go up there to get another prescription so when I went up there she asked if I had any questions about this prescription I said no I don't but I do have a question about the other one. And she looks at my name and she says oh, well...I couldn't think of a valid reason why you would need this prescription", Cartrett said.

Cartrett told WGXA since posting her story on social media she's had several people message her who were in similar situations, one of whom had to go to five different pharmacies before she could get her medication.

Another mountain out of a molehill. Look it up on Google Maps. Literally a Rite Aid, Walgreens and Kmart a 2 minute drive down the street.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another mountain out of a molehill. Look it up on Google Maps. Literally a Rite Aid, Walgreens and Kmart a 2 minute drive down the street.
Meh. Pharmacist shouldn't have been a dick about it though.

Oh, sure, if it went down like that. But is an "allegedly." Patients trump **** up like crazy. I didn't let a woman have her Adderall 2 weeks early last week and the next day she was telling my PIC I was calling her a "low life drug addict." In reality, I just said "No, its a controlled drug, I can fill it next Friday." I'll hear the pharmacy's side of things before I judge, because we've all been there.

Sounds like they weren't rude over the phone and there are a bunch of other pharmacies nearby so I would say it was a decent way to handle it up until the in person interaction (which may not have gone down as she says of course). If she had called them all and none wanted to fill it then i would see a problem.

Sounds like they weren't rude over the phone and there are a bunch of other pharmacies nearby so I would say it was a decent way to handle it up until the in person interaction (which may not have gone down as she says of course). If she had called them all and none wanted to fill it then i would see a problem.

The account I read said the doctor's office called WM and they declined to accept the RX over the phone. So the doctor called and found a willing pharmacy and the patient got the med filled. THEN the patient went to WM to confront the first pharmacist.

The account I read said the doctor's office called WM and they declined to accept the RX over the phone. So the doctor called and found a willing pharmacy and the patient got the med filled. THEN the patient went to WM to confront the first pharmacist.
Yeah, probably didn't need to confront the pharmacist at all in that case.

Fine, that's just you. The people demanding that pharmacists not get a choice at all ran off.
i'm all for pharmacists making actual (i.e., medically necessary) interventions. i am one, after all. and if people decide that pharmacists should be allowed to refuse to fill but have to refer to a different pharmacy, then fine, that's what the people/legislature have decided. that's not how i would shape policy if i were dictator, and i still think it's ethically dubious, but it's not the worst thing in the world and i can live with it. but if a legislature decides that pharmacists can't refuse to dispense, i'm fine with that because i don't think pharmacists have some sort of constitutional right to refuse on religious grounds

This is a HUGE problem in rural Georgia. No bus services and only one or two pharmacies within a 40 mile radius. So both pharmacists refuse to fill (even though they know the patient doesn't have the transportation/means to obtain the meds elsewhere) because they don't want to be known as the pharmacist that condones abortion within their communities. What if their fellow churchgoers or <gasp> the reverend found out?? Healthcare providers are entitled to their own personal belief system but you're being PAID to help your patients within the limits of the law and your professional judgement. Personal judgement =/= Professional judgement.

Guess what. We all face societal pressure

I just don't see any reason that a pharmacist should be forced to fill a prescription that isn't medical necessity, nor should an insurance have to cover it.

A women has the right to find a doctor to write her a script for birth control, and she has the right to find a pharmacy to fill it, but no doctor should be forced to write it, no pharmacy forced to fill it, and no insurance forced to cover it if it is only being used for contraception and is thus not medically necessary. It's merely a service that she pays for and is in no way entitled to.

This is what gets me, if she was unhappy with the service at the first pharmacy, why did so go back there again? No, she didn't "have to go there to get another prescription", she could have transferred the prescription to the pharmacy that WAS willing to help her out and fill her prescription. People complain about bad service all the time, then they keep going back to the place that supposedly gives them the bad service.....this makes me not want to take any of their complaints seriously. If I get bad service, I may give the place/provider another chance, but I will remember the bad service, and if it happens again, I will take my business elsewhere. I wouldn't even waste my time complaining to the first place (unless it was something really, egregariously bad), I would just find better service elsewhere.

Basically line, people who are willing to keep paying for bad service, shouldn't be surprised when they keep getting bad service, and they shouldn't expect lawmakers to somehow "force" the business to give good service.

She likes feeling victimized because it gives her a sense of entitlement and crutch to lean on when she considers her shortcomings in life, thus returns to the pharmacy. These emotions are deeply rooted in her belief that the world owes her something.

Last edited:
She likes feeling victimized because it gives her a sense of entitlement and crutch to lean on when she considers her shortcomings in life, thus returns to the pharmacy. These emotions are deeply rooted in her belief that the world owes her something.
you must have learned this in your pharmacy communications class

Reactions: 2 users
The religious people are crazy, the feminists are crazy, everyone is ****ing crazy.

Every problem anywhere on these forums all comes down to this one immutable fact....

That's the number of people I've personally had a hand in killing.

There's a board on the wall that says how many people have you helped kill today with a marker so we can update it each time.

1583426152140.png

I spot a mail order opportunity. GetRoman needs to get on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.