Deferment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScottieGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to defer admissions for a year before attending vet school? Specifically, University of Glasgow. I don't want to ask them if it is possible just yet, and was hoping someone here might know. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know how meaningful this is, but from http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/entryrequirements/vet/

"Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Entry requirements
Veterinary Medicine (BVMS) Admissions for the BVMS programme should be submitted to UCAS by 15 October.
The Faculty is unable to offer applicants deferred entry."

Sounds like a no, but sometimes if you ask there are exceptions. You really would need to call.

Don't know how meaningful this is, but from http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/entryrequirements/vet/

"Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Entry requirements
Veterinary Medicine (BVMS) Admissions for the BVMS programme should be submitted to UCAS by 15 October.
The Faculty is unable to offer applicants deferred entry."

Sounds like a no, but sometimes if you ask there are exceptions. You really would need to call.

My advice would be to send an email as opposed to calling...That way, you have the information on file, and also if you experience any problems, you have what they said in black and white, and don't have the whole 'he said she said' issue...If necessary call them, but I'd have documentation of all contact somehow...But like VAgirl said, I'd definitely contact them!

Members don't see this ad :)
i actually deferred from glasgow 2 years ago b/c i wanted to re-apply and make another try at the states. i just emailed joyce and she was totally fine with it. i don't think i even gave a reason for why i wanted to defer, just that i want to. at any rate, i was accepted to an school in the states and just emailed joyce to let her know she didn't need to keep holding my spot at glasgow. of course i lost my deposit though....

good luck!

thanks so much, I have emailed her now and hopefully will hear back soon. It is just a lot of money, and a year off of school would be nice!