Deferring at LIU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogtortori

LIU C/O 2028
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I applied to LIU this cycle and I interviewed and am waiting for decisions this month (hopefully). Recently I’ve had some extenuating circumstances (losing support from parents 2 months before graduating with my master’s, mental health just plummeted, seeking professional help while trying to finish up grad studies) arise in my life and now I am reconsidering attending vet school if I get accepted. I talked to my boss at work and he told me I may be able to defer an acceptance for next year, and I was wondering if anyone at LIU has done this before? What’s the process like and does it seem possible with my situation?

I know I haven’t been accepted yet and shouldn’t think about this yet, but it would be amazing if I could defer rather than reapply again in 2024. Not that it would be the end of the world, but it would save me time and money. Should I email LIU about this now or wait until decisions come out?

I would also appreciate comments only directed about deferring and nothing with how to go about still attending vet school with my situation. I already found a therapist and plan on taking this year to work, become financially independent, and preparing mentally and physically for vet school :)

Members don't see this ad.

You can inquire about the process, but I would right out ask to defer until decisions come out.

Reactions: 2 users
With how new LIU is I think chances of someone on SDN having specific experience with deferring at this school will be slim. I wouldn’t ask until after decisions are announced. I’m not trying to be harsh but right now you don’t have anything to defer because you haven’t been accepted. Asking ahead of time probably wouldn’t affect your chances, but I wouldn’t want to do anything to rock the boat at all. Just wait and ask if/when you hear about acceptances. If you’re accepted you can ask about deferring and then you’ll have decisions to make if they say no.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With how new LIU is I think chances of someone on SDN having specific experience with deferring at this school will be slim. I wouldn’t ask until after decisions are announced. I’m not trying to be harsh but right now you don’t have anything to defer because you haven’t been accepted. Asking ahead of time probably wouldn’t affect your chances, but I wouldn’t want to do anything to rock the boat at all. Just wait and ask if/when you hear about acceptances. If you’re accepted you can ask about deferring and then you’ll have decisions to make if they say no.

you’re not harsh! This is my first application cycle so I was just curious when people ask about deferring. I mainly just wanted to know how long the process took so I can prepare I was waitlisted at Iowa as well but LIU is my top choice which is why I wanted to ask since Iowa is a bit more established

you’re not harsh! This is my first application cycle so I was just curious when people ask about deferring. I mainly just wanted to know how long the process took so I can prepare I was waitlisted at Iowa as well but LIU is my top choice which is why I wanted to ask since Iowa is a bit more established
Hi! I hope it all worked out for you. Did you end up getting accepted and/or deferring?