Deferring my acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyedochopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've already accepted a seat at OSU, but I'm strongly considering declining my acceptance. I've always been interested in optometry, but I've had reservations about attending optometry college since my acceptance (way back in September!).

Basically, I have decided to pursue an MD instead (for various reasons- less limited scope, personally more satisfying, and at in-state schools WAY less debt).

But I want to be smart about my decision. I've never taken an MCAT, haven't applied to medical schools, and am not guaranteed to get accepted. Although my first practice MCAT without studying was good enough to get into most of the in-state schools I want to attend, who knows, something could go terribly wrong.

I've signed up to take the MCAT in April and will know my scores by May, but I won't know if I'm accepted until after I would start at OSU. I don't want to have the "if my MCAT sucks, I'll go to OSU instead mentality," but I also don't want to end up declining admission and not getting to go to medical school either...

So, can I defer my acceptance for one year? OSU's handbook says NOTHING about it. Has anybody had a similar experience? By deferring my acceptance a year, I can apply to medical school, see what happens, and, if something terrible happens, still fall back on optometry college. It's the smartest option, so I'd love any well-informed advice.

Thanks! And sorry this is so long!

Also,
Yes, I know I can contact the admissions office...that's my ultimate next step, but I wanted to check here first.
And, nothing against optometry, it's just not for me. So good luck to all applicants and the class of 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I know I can contact the admissions office...that's my ultimate next step, but I wanted to check here first.
And, nothing against optometry, it's just not for me. So good luck to all applicants and the class of 2018!

I think that says it all. If Optometry is not for you, please pursue medical school until you get accepted. It may be next year or several years from now but if you "settle" for Optometry, then you will be miserable your whole life. My 2 cents.

Correct me if I'm not understanding you, but are you asking if it would be possible to put your acceptance on hold for a year and just cash it in next year if you don't get into med school? If this is what you're asking, the answer is no. If you don't attend optometry school this year, you will have to apply all over again and hope you are accepted for next year. That being said, do not go to optometry school if you already know it's not for you. If you think you have a shot at med school, go for it. Even if you end up doing neither, whatever you do will be better than pursuing a difficult career that doesn't even interest you.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your stats and ECs? Most people need a couple years to switch gears like you are doing.

I don't see why it would take a couple years. If you have a 3.6 or above, with some good extracurriculars, just take the MCAT and apply. I'm guessing you are about to finish your bachelors if you haven't already done so, in which case waiting wouldn't help with your GPA or EC's. You'll probably just need to get some more shadowing in before you apply.

I don't see why it would take a couple years. If you have a 3.6 or above, with some good extracurriculars, just take the MCAT and apply. I'm guessing you are about to finish your bachelors if you haven't already done so, in which case waiting wouldn't help with your GPA or EC's. You'll probably just need to get some more shadowing in before you apply.

I don't really see why it would take me an extra year. I have a 3.85 which will most likely increase to a 3.89 after this semester. I took my first MCAT and got a 29 (not awesome, but good enough to get in to all of the schools I want to apply to). I've tutored biology for six semesters and actually taught recessional lectures, researched for two years, was in SGA, an officer of the chemistry honorary fraternity, and Vice President of my university's honors college in addition to other clubs. I was an optical tech for two years and haven't shadowed an MD yet, but will be able to soon.

But as far as the deferrals. I only asked because I know at many professional schools, it's actually a common occurrence. So hopefully the option exists in optometry colleges as well.

I say go for it. You have a good GPA, and if you're confident your MCAT score will be sufficient then bombs away. You might as well ask your school about deferring your acceptance, although it sounds odd to me and I have never heard of that every happening in any health profession program.

I don't really see why it would take me an extra year. I have a 3.85 which will most likely increase to a 3.89 after this semester. I took my first MCAT and got a 29 (not awesome, but good enough to get in to all of the schools I want to apply to). I've tutored biology for six semesters and actually taught recessional lectures, researched for two years, was in SGA, an officer of the chemistry honorary fraternity, and Vice President of my university's honors college in addition to other clubs. I was an optical tech for two years and haven't shadowed an MD yet, but will be able to soon.

But as far as the deferrals. I only asked because I know at many professional schools, it's actually a common occurrence. So hopefully the option exists in optometry colleges as well.
Sorry to burst your bubble but you're not going to get into Med School just based on your stats alone. There are thousands of candidates with your stats (and better) and many of them get rejected. It happens all the time--there's more to being a doctor than a good GPA and MCAT scores, it seems like you're unclear about this based on your "good enough to get into all of the in-state schools" statements lol. How do you know for sure 100%?

Why do you want to be a doctor? What motivates you? What've you done to educate yourself on the profession? What have you done to prepare yourself? etc. etc. etc.

Maybe an MD student can pitch in and help you lol

Last edited:
Sorry to burst your bubble but you're not going to get into Med School just based on your stats alone. There are thousands of candidates with your stats (and better) and many of them get rejected. It happens all the time--there's more to being a doctor than a good GPA and MCAT scores, it seems like you're unclear about this based on your "good enough to get into all of the in-state schools" statements lol. How do you know for sure 100%?

Why do you want to be a doctor? What motivates you? What've you done to educate yourself on the profession? What have you done to prepare yourself? etc. etc. etc.

Maybe an MD student can pitch in and help you lol

Nobody in this thread has said anything about entering medical school based on stats alone. The question was asked earlier about the OP's GPA and EC's, not about his/her personal statement (which would include the answers to your above mentioned questions). Apparently these qualifications are at or above the averages of the state schools that are being looked at, and therefore "good enough" for admittance. The only person who has said anything about being 100% sure of acceptance, is you, which would also make you the only person whose proverbial "bubble" has been "burst."

Nobody in this thread has said anything about entering medical school based on stats alone. The question was asked earlier about the OP's GPA and EC's, not about his/her personal statement (which would include the answers to your above mentioned questions). Apparently these qualifications are at or above the averages of the state schools that are being looked at, and therefore "good enough" for admittance. The only person who has said anything about being 100% sure of acceptance, is you, which would also make you the only person whose proverbial "bubble" has been "burst."

lol okay eyecaptain. thanks for the enlightenment.

Hi everybody,

I've already accepted a seat at OSU, but I'm strongly considering declining my acceptance. I've always been interested in optometry, but I've had reservations about attending optometry college since my acceptance (way back in September!).

Basically, I have decided to pursue an MD instead (for various reasons- less limited scope, personally more satisfying, and at in-state schools WAY less debt).

But I want to be smart about my decision. I've never taken an MCAT, haven't applied to medical schools, and am not guaranteed to get accepted. Although my first practice MCAT without studying was good enough to get into most of the in-state schools I want to attend, who knows, something could go terribly wrong.

I've signed up to take the MCAT in April and will know my scores by May, but I won't know if I'm accepted until after I would start at OSU. I don't want to have the "if my MCAT sucks, I'll go to OSU instead mentality," but I also don't want to end up declining admission and not getting to go to medical school either...

So, can I defer my acceptance for one year? OSU's handbook says NOTHING about it. Has anybody had a similar experience? By deferring my acceptance a year, I can apply to medical school, see what happens, and, if something terrible happens, still fall back on optometry college. It's the smartest option, so I'd love any well-informed advice.

Thanks! And sorry this is so long!

Also,

it sounds to me that you don't have your heart set on optometry. If that is the case why go with it and get yourself in that much debt? What did you decide to do anyways since you posted this about a month ago.

I almost forgot about this post! It seems like it's been forever ago, but I just finished my medical school application and wanted to shed some light on the central question of this post:

No, haha, it turns out OSU does not offer deferrals (although another person in my class was granted one, but I'm assuming it was for medical reasons since they told me no).

But, things are looking up. I ended up with a 4.0 my fall and spring semester of my senior year, increasing my gap to a 3.9, and received a 32 on my MCAT (I'm aiming for a state school, and this it perfectly fine to get in!!). I'm taking a year to continue my work in my research lab, and will be entering medical school next fall if all goes well.

Good luck to all of the future ODs out there! And if anybody ever begins to question their decision, take it from somebody who made the switch, it's much better to change your plans now and be behind a year than it is to have second thoughts for the rest of your life.

Wishing you all the best,
Former eye doc hopeful, current MD hopeful!

Reactions: 1 user