About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Definition - palisading nuclei

Discussion in 'Step I' started by osli, Feb 13, 2008.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. osli

osli Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I've seen this pop up in a qbank question or two, and I'm struggling to get a good definition. I know what palisading means regarding fences or cliffs, but what exactly are they talking about when applied to a malignancy?
  2. DragonWell

DragonWell Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Based on my path reading, my simple understanding is that palisading is where the nuclei line up, almost looking like a wall or fence, and pseudopalisading is where they are lined up with necrosis next to them like in a glioblastoma.

Palisading:
    [​IMG]

Pseudopalisading
    [​IMG]

I'm sure you know all that already, but I've never come across a good explanation of why the cells do this in certain neoplasms. Do the questions you're looking at require a deeper understanding than this?
  3. Jonathan13180

Jonathan13180 Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

Palisading-Ependymoma The cells are called Antoni A/B cells, whereas the space between them i think is called a verocay body.

Pseuodopalisading- Homer Wright Rossettes-Medulloblastoma. As is shown in the pictures above-with medulloblastoma, the cells are "palisading" around an empty space, whereas in ependymomas, they are around a blood vessel.

Not sure if this helps? Why do the cells do this? I have no idea.
  4. osli

osli Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Wow, a response with pictures! :thumbup:

I guess I know what the tumors look like and can identify them from histological inspection, but I was afraid that the push away from "buzz words" might leave me with a question attempting to describe 'palisading' that didn't ring any bells with me. Kaplan has used 'palisading nuclei' in a couple of questions, but perhaps the USMLE won't. I guess I'm worried they wouldn't say "nuclei lined up like fence posts" but something retarded like "replication centers migrating under influence of transcription factor 2x&8p:3r#". :laugh:
  5. lankysudanese

lankysudanese antibiotics fetish

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    palisading nuclei are also seen in basal cell carcinomas of the skin.
  6. osli

osli Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    That and glioblastomas are where I've seen them pop up most often in descriptions. :thumbup: