Degree before Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CPhTnerd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on what I should do. I graduated August of 2006 with a BS in Economics. After working in Risk Analysis for a little bit, I decided that my real love was for pharmacy. (I had been a tech for 6 years prior and during my first undergrad.) Now I am back in school trying to get my pre-reqs in order, and was wondering if it would be wise to get a BS in Chem before applying for pharmacy school? I feel a bit old (26) and pressed to finish quickly. (Not to mention a little worried, because my GPA is kinda low - 3.3)

What would you say the pros and cons are of getting that second degree vs transferring out? Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on what I should do. I graduated August of 2006 with a BS in Economics. After working in Risk Analysis for a little bit, I decided that my real love was for pharmacy. (I had been a tech for 6 years prior and during my first undergrad.) Now I am back in school trying to get my pre-reqs in order, and was wondering if it would be wise to get a BS in Chem before applying for pharmacy school? I feel a bit old (26) and pressed to finish quickly. (Not to mention a little worried, because my GPA is kinda low - 3.3)

What would you say the pros and cons are of getting that second degree vs transferring out? Thanks for your advice!

Get the pre reqs to the schools that interest you and apply. No need for another degree. When you apply play up the 6 yrs of experience and get good letters. Most places only look at science GPA so whatever science classes you have left should be aced. With a good PCAT score you'll be very competitive without another degree.

Hmm, interesting story. In short, being an economics major can work to your advantage - don't sweat having to obtain a science degree prior to applying to pharm school. It's awesome that you had this realization now and have the maturity to make plans to meet your goals.

If possible, I'd suggest looking into taking a your pre-reqs at a community college. Not only would classes there probably be cheaper, but hey, you can probably also apply earlier. Your GPA isn't THAT low, so try not to worry too much about that. Ace your classes, work towards your dreams, and you'd be surprised how fast the time flies. Best of luck!

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
You should take the pre-reqs and try to get all A's and B's and also try to get a job in a pharmacy again. I think the fact that you got your degree and worked in another field, then went back to pharmacy, because you loved it, would be a really good story to tell.

Thanks, I appreciate all the advice. I was leaning towards what everyone is suggesting, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Now that I am back in school, I took a job working part-time for a speciality dialysis pharmacy. It's been good, actually a huge motivator driving me back to school.

I am in the same boat as you! I have a degree in Business Econ and realized that I have a passion for Pharmacy later. I am going back to school to just do the 2 year pre-req and study well for PCAT and hopefully transfer to a pharm schoool later.