Degree of Medical Management?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering Optometry currently and have a few questions for current providers. My main question revolves around the extent of Medical Management conducted by Optometrists today. I know the scope of practice in many states has been expanding in recent years to allow more and more autonomy and practice avenues, however, what extent of a typical day (corporate or private practice) do you spend doing medical management of eye diseases or eye injury?

Do rural areas see a higher number of interesting cases? I hope to practice in a rural area and while I have absolutely no qualms about doing refractions all day if that is something I need to get used to, it would be interesting to get the odd ocular disease patient or eye injury. I don't really have any desire to do surgery and I love primary care and the clinic setting which is why Optometry seems right for me. However, it would be cool to be able to manage certain eye conditions or do some small procedures say if someone caught a spark in the eye or something.

Are these unrealistic expectations? Is there anything you wish you knew about Optometry before you graduated/pursued this career?

Members don't see this ad.