DeLisa versus Braddom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMmetoHelp

Why so serious?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:love: :luck:

Any residencts or attendings have an opinion for an incoming PGY-2 (PMR-1) for THE BOOK for PM&R.

I need a book that I can take notes in, highlights, page markers, spill coffee and tears on..... and basically turn into my bible for the next few years...etc.

In med school I used my First Aid and Robbins Pathology for this.

:luck: :love:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a bit old to reply (out of training for 12 yrs), but I used DeLisa because the updated Braddom was not yet in print. The problem is, none of the textbooks come close to the vastness of your choice of profession. They will only be launching points. In my practice, my usual reference is the 10 years of PM&R Clinics on my bookshelf (they are in the library!)

I think that Braddom is slightly more comprehensive. Also, most of us will keep all of our books. The books I would clearly recommend to keep close at hand at all times:
Kendall (Muscle Testing and Function)--This is a great PT book that is hard to find.
Perotto (Anatomical Guide for the Electromyographer)--Good for all MSK anatomy, not just EMG
The anatomy textbook of your choice (Netter, Grant's)
Griffin (Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care) a great textbook by AAOS.
Kandel &Schwartz (Principles of Neural Science) I still use this after 20 years.
Finally, for neuromuscular medicine, go to the "Neuromuscular" web site at Washington University at St. Louis http://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/ This is a great reference site! I use it weekly.

buy both...
and wait for the new version of Cuccurullo to come out.

Members don't see this ad :)
my program pays for one of THE reference texts
I still have access online through my med school to DeLisa
so I will be buying Braddom
find out if you can access either online through your program before buying.

DeLisa book is supposedly a little bland and hard to read. We use Braddom now. I would NOT buy both.

And I agree with diamox to wait for the new version of Cuccurullo (which is supposed to be this Fall...but that's what they've been saying for a couple years now).

:love: :luck:

Any residencts or attendings have an opinion for an incoming PGY-2 (PMR-1) for THE BOOK for PM&R.

I need a book that I can take notes in, highlights, page markers, spill coffee and tears on..... and basically turn into my bible for the next few years...etc.

In med school I used my First Aid and Robbins Pathology for this.

:luck: :love:

Good to see someone is not just relying on a board review book to be their primary study guide! As an attending it saddens me when a resident's main source of knowledge is a board review book which boils down learning into bite sized sentences!

Either is good and solid; preview them in a bookstore or on Google Books if possible and go with one.

Nowadays in any field the book is just one tool in the armament; you need to supplement with current literature and review articles.

Good luck and thanks for asking!

Nowadays in any field the book is just one tool in the armament; you need to supplement with current literature and review articles.

Like wikipedia :D