Delusional Non-Trads.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As I've said before, if I've made just one person smile today, I can go to bed happy.

I'm serious.

Come on, admit it. You're smiling right now, aren't you?

Of course I am. I'm always smiling. I have to admit, though, your don't-drink-the-Kool-Ade posts are usually well-thought out. And entertaining. And we know your heart is in the right place--well, maybe except for the few people who pressed the iggy button on you.

I also have to admit that it's fun to read your arguments with other people, though. Makes me run to the kitchen and pop some corn.:corny:

Members don't see this ad.

Of course I am. I'm always smiling. I have to admit, though, your don't-drink-the-Kool-Ade posts are usually well-thought out. And entertaining. And we know your heart is in the right place--well, maybe except for the few people who pressed the iggy button on you.

I also have to admit that it's fun to read your arguments with other people, though. Makes me run to the kitchen and pop some corn.:corny:

The way I see it, I am a melancholic. We're the St. Augustines, the Beethovens, the Van Goghs and Hemingways--the tortured souls wracked by conflicting emotions who, through the very clash of those conflicting emotions, produce great insight into the human psyche. Medicine is meant for cholerics. Nothing wrong with that; you just don't want to get stuck in a position that doesn't match your temperament. I'm all for cholerics going into medicine; I just feel that one won't be truly happy in medicine unless one really is a choleric, and one shouldn't allow oneself to be talked into becoming a choleric if deep down that's not what one truly is.

The way I see it, I am a melancholic. We're the St. Augustines, the Beethovens, the Van Goghs and Hemingways--the tortured souls wracked by conflicting emotions who, through the very clash of those conflicting emotions, produce great insight into the human psyche. Medicine is meant for cholerics. Nothing wrong with that; you just don't want to get stuck in a position that doesn't match your temperament. I'm all for cholerics going into medicine; I just feel that one won't be truly happy in medicine unless one really is a choleric, and one shouldn't allow oneself to be talked into becoming a choleric if deep down that's not what one truly is.

Bullsh*t.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bullsh*t.

Oh kill me now for responding to your quote of another. (The other of which I speak is on "ignore" mode. I read your quote of his.)

The truth is all of us are some kind of combination of those temperaments and more.

I've worked with plenty of melancholy-dominant types in healthcare. And many are quite right-brained and artistic, love music, play instruments with passion, are artists, writers, philosophers of sorts. They do quite well in the field and even have quite a love for it.

Some people will argue against whether becoming a physician is a calling of sorts. I will give them their perspective on that. They will see it as they see it. And although I believe those that don't see and know or agree to the calling perspective can be good or even great physicians, they may not ultimately and totally be happy and fulfilled in the role, b/c deep inside they may be led to do something else—whether they are aware of it or not. So they bite or file away at the corners of themselves--square pegs that they are, as they seek to fit themselves into the round holes. They focus on getting a more custom fit, and it may work for a while, but they will always feel their corners rubbing against the rounded hole as they turn within it.

But it may also be said that some may find a better fit within a wider sphere of what is medicine, or they may work in it for a time and then move into something else. Pragmatically speaking, I think that the something else must allow them to cover the debt amassed in pursuing medicine. It seems reasonable though that the profession would seek those that love it and seek to be an active part in it for a lifetime--or at least a considerable part of the person's lifetime. The thing is, there is no perfectly objective and foolproof way of testing for that.

Last edited:

Male Bovine Species Bowel Movements.

That paragraph is so full of self-regarding narcissism that I wonder if you are joking.

oh, come on. why are you guys calling BS? Tris is melancholic, all right.

If I'm a phlegmatic, does that mean I'm full of phlegm?

That paragraph is so full of self-regarding narcissism that I wonder if you are joking.

Is that you're insecurity speaking? FWIW I find what Tris is talking about to be very insightful and I would tend to agree with it. No narcissism, just a level of honesty that most people do not permit themselves to.

Carry on...

Its BS because of the inference that 1.) you must be a specific type to be happy in medicine, 2.) an individual can be only one type completely, 3.) one could be "talked" into another type altogether.

Medicine isn't for the elite only, regardless of how you determine status. Whether its a personality type or from a certain family. We need physicians of all backgrounds, philosophies, races, and certainly personality types. I might be more willing to agree if we were discussing specialties within medicine.

Its BS because of the inference that 1.) you must be a specific type to be happy in medicine, 2.) an individual can be only one type completely, 3.) one could be "talked" into another type altogether.

Medicine isn't for the elite only, regardless of how you determine status. Whether its a personality type or from a certain family. We need physicians of all backgrounds, philosophies, races, and certainly personality types. I might be more willing to agree if we were discussing specialties within medicine.

:thumbup::thumbup::love::thumbup::thumbup:

While I don't subscribe to the "ancient theories" of personality cited by Tris, I think he is right so far as certain personality types tend to have coping strategies that better equip them for dealing with the particular stressors encountered in medicine. And jl lin is right so far as any personality assessment can only speak to trends in personalities, and not absolutes. Even the more modern personality models (that try to deal with the problems inherent in trying to pigeonhole everyone into 5 personality types by taking on a multifaceted approach to their classification) recognize that these tests can only ever describe tendencies. We all still can (and often do) choose to act "against type". As far as being "talked" into becoming a different personality type, I think Tris was referring to his own personal experience of trying to change his personality type into something he thought he should be by going to med school, only to find out that it didn't work and he was in the wrong profession.

Good Lord. Tris and jl lin are both right. How the hell did that happen? It must be the 67th Horseman of the Apocalypse. I KNEW that those CERN experiments would be bad for the space-time continuum!

And I agree with you that we need all types of personalities in medicine. But what do I know, I can't even grow strawberries.

Is that you're insecurity speaking? FWIW I find what Tris is talking about to be very insightful and I would tend to agree with it. No narcissism, just a level of honesty that most people do not permit themselves to.

Carry on...

It's narcissitic because it is self-regarding about his self-regard. He's not only introspective he's also introspective about his intrspection. "Oh, look at the beautiful boy looking at his reflection of the water. Isn't he beautiful. Isn't his looking at himself beautiful! He's melancholic just like alll the great artists of the world. He should be a great artist because he loves himself so much."

Nonsense. There have been great men throughout the ages of many personalities. Some, like Newton, Churchill, Jefferson, Carnegie, Wesley, where cholerics, others, like Lincoln, David Brainerd, etc, were melancholy. But NONE of them spent their time analyzing their own personality and complementing themselves over it. They had a job to do and went about doing it, sometimes overcoming their depression or health problems.

Tris reminds me of those silly guys who purposefully look and act like geeks because they think that it makes them appear smarter. BUt the fact is that they are just average people trying to imitate the look of someone who is out of their league.

While I don't subscribe to the "ancient theories" of personality cited by Tris, I think he is right so far as certain personality types tend to have coping strategies that better equip them for dealing with the particular stressors encountered in medicine. And jl lin is right so far as any personality assessment can only speak to trends in personalities, and not absolutes. Even the more modern personality models (that try to deal with the problems inherent in trying to pigeonhole everyone into 5 personality types by taking on a multifaceted approach to their classification) recognize that these tests can only ever describe tendencies. We all still can (and often do) choose to act "against type". As far as being "talked" into becoming a different personality type, I think Tris was referring to his own personal experience of trying to change his personality type into something he thought he should be by going to med school, only to find out that it didn't work and he was in the wrong profession.
I see your point on it, but I dont believe its "personality types" that have coping strategies but people who have experience in life and have learned them. I know we all hold medicine up on a high pedestal but it does not have a monopoly on stressors. I think someone like Tris didn't get "talked into" a different personality type as much as a poor life decision and professional choice. Medicine isn't really a personality type, is what I'm saying. Being talked, or pushed into medicine doesn't really change your personality at all, otherwise we would see Tris exhibiting this kind of behavior about medicine and med school in general....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NGSl3CldFY[/YOUTUBE]

oh, come on. why are you guys calling BS? Tris is melancholic, all right.

If I'm a phlegmatic, does that mean I'm full of phlegm?

I'm not sure why I had such a intuitive and strong negative reaction to Tris's post. It may be because it is introspective without being insightful. It says, "I've found a pigeonhole for my personality and it happens to be the same pigeon hole that Beethoven was in - so I must be like Beethoven." A dog might as well say that he is like a human baby because he has incontinence problems.

The way I see it, I am a melancholic. We're the St. Augustines, the Beethovens, the Van Goghs and Hemingways--the tortured souls wracked by conflicting emotions who, through the very clash of those conflicting emotions, produce great insight into the human psyche. Medicine is meant for cholerics.

Sad but true. Melancholics simply lack the inner phlogiston to make it in medicine.

Well, yes, obviously I don't believe that there are four physical humors in our bodies and that the dominance of one determines our personality type. But I think the classical idea of the four temperaments represents no less insight into what people are like than any other, more modern system of classifying personalities. And yes, I didn't mean that I was talked into actually changing my personality, since I no longer believe that's possible; but for a time, I did, and I was "talked" into trying.

I basically fell for all this talk (some of which was self-originating once the feedback loop got started, since I thought it would get me the girl) about how we have a duty, an obligation, to use the brains God gave us and since I was "smart," I was "supposed" to become a doer, a mover, a shaker, an ambitious acheiver: i.e., a choleric. Now, you could call this view--that that's what everyone's supposed to do--a choleric view. Those who naturally have this ambitious, achieving temperament seem to think that everyone is supposed to be like them, and if we're not, it's only because we're stubbornly refusing to, we're not trying, we're not working hard enough. So, while I'm not trying to be high on myself, I actually do think that we more contemplative, ruminative, pensive, emotionally sensitive types have insight that others do not: we can see that we are like this and they are like that, while they can see only what they themselves are like. I don't consider this being down on cholerics; they are the movers and shakers, the achievers, the leaders in our social institutions like business and, well, medicine, and we wouldn't have the advanced civilization we have today without them. We melancholics would still be living in grass huts, gazing at our navels. I appreciate all that they accomplish, I really do; but no matter how much we say this, they continue to take a dim view of us.

It's narcissitic because it is self-regarding about his self-regard. He's not only introspective he's also introspective about his intrspection. "Oh, look at the beautiful boy looking at his reflection of the water. Isn't he beautiful. Isn't his looking at himself beautiful! He's melancholic just like alll the great artists of the world. He should be a great artist because he loves himself so much."

Nonsense. There have been great men throughout the ages of many personalities. Some, like Newton, Churchill, Jefferson, Carnegie, Wesley, where cholerics, others, like Lincoln, David Brainerd, etc, were melancholy. But NONE of them spent their time analyzing their own personality and complementing themselves over it. They had a job to do and went about doing it, sometimes overcoming their depression or health problems.

Tris reminds me of those silly guys who purposefully look and act like geeks because they think that it makes them appear smarter. BUt the fact is that they are just average people trying to imitate the look of someone who is out of their league.
Spoken like a true choleric. See above.

BTW, I never said that I was a Beethoven or Van Gogh, that I have produced anything of nearly as much value as they did; merely that I think we're the same personality type.

I see your point on it, but I dont believe its "personality types" that have coping strategies but people who have experience in life and have learned them. I know we all hold medicine up on a high pedestal but it does not have a monopoly on stressors. I think someone like Tris didn't get "talked into" a different personality type as much as a poor life decision and professional choice. Medicine isn't really a personality type, is what I'm saying. Being talked, or pushed into medicine doesn't really change your personality at all, otherwise we would see Tris exhibiting this kind of behavior about medicine and med school in general....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NGSl3CldFY[/YOUTUBE]

Now that was a great demonstration of a sanguine.

Myers-Briggs: My type is ENFJ.
"humors" model: I don't know; I have aspects of all of them. I pick Phlegmatic just 'cause the word makes me giggle.
Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families model: Peacemaker.
Numerology: My Life Path is 6 and my Destiny Number is 9.
Astrology: Sagittarius.
Chinese Astrology: Monkey.
Life experiences: Been through hell and back but I'm still standing and ready for more.

In the end, what does it really matter? Why do people make these attempts to qualify and quantify personality types, anyway? It is because they are attempting to answer some of the great questions in life: Who are we? Why are we here? Why do we do the things we do?

What makes one person able to undergo the most horrid poverty and/or abuse as a child and grow into an adult who is a tireless and compassionate champion for others? What makes another child who has every advantage you think would be needed to become a well-adjusted adult have his world absolutely shattered because his parents divorced when he was young?

Yes, our nature (inborn temperament/genetic disposition/however you want to describe it) has a lot to do with the people we are and the choices we make. Nurture (environment/life experiences) also shape those choices.

But what I find so curious is why so many people read into the statements Tris makes and get upset with him for saying things he didn't say. I don't agree with a lot of the things he says and I find his Debbie Downer routine foreign to me (a dyed-in-the-wool optimist). However, a lot of what he says has merit and is thought-provoking, at least to me.

Am I going to rethink my pursuit of a career in medicine because Tris is a member of the same club as Panda Bear and the Medicine Sux guy? No, of course not. But I find his beware-the-roller-coaster rants to be helpful to me. I am making a HUGE gamble pursuing this path, and there are many times when I have to do a reality-check. Can I do this? Will it screw my kids over? Can I accept the debt at the end of training, and will I be too burnt out by the process to pay the debt off?

When I read the "beware medicine" messages of Tris, Panda Bear, and the like, I really do think about the things they warn about and ask myself if I can live with it. So far, the answer is still yes. And I think that is what all the "beware medicine" club members are trying to do. They realized too late that a career in medicine wasn't what they thought it was going to be, found out it sucked, and are trying to warn others not to make the same mistake they did.

I don't know, I must be missing something here.

Spoken like a true choleric. See above.

BTW, I never said that I was a Beethoven or Van Gogh, that I have produced anything of nearly as much value as they did; merely that I think we're the same personality type.

Spoken like a true..... - stop it, Ed, stop it. Must remember to not call names.

Tris, you have a problem and it's not about personality. Narcissism is a disease that destroys yourself and people around you as horribly as does alcoholism or drug addiction. Whatever poor girl you talk into making a family with you will be miserable and that is not to mention the horrible effects on her children.

Shouting on an internet board is considered rude so I will not type in all caps. But consider the following statement to be said as loudly and strongly as it is possible to emphasize.

It's not all about you. You are not the most important person in the world. Everyone doesn't have to talk about you in order to be important. You're personality is of minor importance in the world. Taking a microscope to your own self is not only unnecessary, it is counterproductive. Try, with great effort, to think and be concerned about someone else in the world besides your own preeeeeeciousss self. gollum gollum.

Getting a medical degree is costly. The work is hard, but also rewarding. Not everyone will be happy in medicine. Good luck to you all! :)