denied.. reapplying help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muscles00GT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. so i procrastinated a bit with the whole 2010 application process and only ended up applying to one school. i was denied. they said main reason was because of my gpa which is a 2.9. nothing great, but not horrible. my GRE was 1050 (640 math, 410 verbal) i have good experiences working with a variety of physicians and surgeons. i was a physiology instructor for 2 years at my undergrad. i recently created a youth injury prevention program for local baseball athletes in my county...and etc. i could go on and on, but i'm not here to list all my experiences. i dont have a whole lot of PT observation hours, but i'm at about 120 right now. by the time this next application comes around, ill have around 500 PT hours. retaking classes isn't really an option because of money..with that said, who else was in a similar boat and what can i do to ensure i get in this time around? i know for a fact i have the capabilities and knowledge to be extremely successful.

Members don't see this ad.

i know for a fact i have the capabilities and knowledge to be extremely successful.

Then why are you worried?

From my observations, the 2.9 GPA is to low. Everyone I met at interviews had 3.4 or above, but that was only at 4 different schools. I applied to 8 schools, it sucked, but it was well worth it. Increase the frequency of schools you apply to forsure, 1 isn't going to cut it.

I was wonder if year to year if things get a little harder and harder to be accepted?

unfortunately, a 2.9 is not really competitive. it seems like most places want you to at least have a 3.0, and at least a 3.3 or 3.4 is the norm. could you take some classes at a community college?? i hate spending $$ on classes especially ones i have already taken but you should consider it. also, maybe retake the GRE? you scored better than me but getting a high score like an 1100 might offset your GPA. honestly i think that will hold you back from many programs i'm sorry to say :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Then why are you worried?

From my observations, the 2.9 GPA is to low. Everyone I met at interviews had 3.4 or above, but that was only at 4 different schools. I applied to 8 schools, it sucked, but it was well worth it. Increase the frequency of schools you apply to forsure, 1 isn't going to cut it.

I was wonder if year to year if things get a little harder and harder to be accepted?

Yeah, I had originally planned on four schools, but one professor took too long with his letter of recommendation and as a result, those deadlines passed, so I was left with only one school. This time around I'll apply to more for sure.

I know the 2.9 GPA isn't grand, but it's not horrible considering things I had to go through and not to mention, taking organic chemistry which definitely didn't boost my GPA. I'm not using that as as excuse. Only reason why I'm somewhat worried is I feel too much emphasis is placed on the whole grade thing. Although schools claim to look at the "whole picture," some schools don't even conduct interviews. For all they know, the individual they are accepting could be some of the most socially awkward, introverted individuals.

I appreciate your response and advice. Hopefully this time around, since I'll have my applications in as early as possible, it will increase my chances.

unfortunately, a 2.9 is not really competitive. it seems like most places want you to at least have a 3.0, and at least a 3.3 or 3.4 is the norm. could you take some classes at a community college?? i hate spending $$ on classes especially ones i have already taken but you should consider it. also, maybe retake the GRE? you scored better than me but getting a high score like an 1100 might offset your GPA. honestly i think that will hold you back from many programs i'm sorry to say :(

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, taking classes isn't an option due to financial issues...even at a community college. I'm trying to pick up a better paying job, but the job market isn't too friendly at the moment. I really don't want to retake the GRE. I'm not so sure I can do THAT much better that it will make a difference. It's a possibility however. Thanks once again.

could not agree with you more. i feel the EXACT same way. which is why my advice was based off of grades which unfortunately can make or break applicants. i know a lot of great indivduals who will not get accpeted b/c of low gpas and lose those seats to people with 4.0 english majors who are socially inept. good luck to you-ask the schools directly what YOU specifically can do based on your stats.

could not agree with you more. i feel the EXACT same way. which is why my advice was based off of grades which unfortunately can make or break applicants. i know a lot of great indivduals who will not get accpeted b/c of low gpas and lose those seats to people with 4.0 english majors who are socially inept. good luck to you-ask the schools directly what YOU specifically can do based on your stats.

Thanks! I definitely plan on contacting schools to see what they say. I volunteer at a great private physical therapy clinic now, so hopefully they can provide me with some tips.

Every school I have looked at clearly says on their admissions page that a 3.0 overall and a 3.0 science gpa is required. Now whether they will wiggle on that, I don't know. I take it as a prereq just as the classes they say that are required.

I am sure there are some great folks that are turned away because they don't meet the gpa requirement, but I am even more sure that there are PLENTY of people with great grades that also are not social misfits. As far as "4.0" English majors getting in, I suppose if they take the prereqs required at a school and meet the gpa requirement then there is really no problem with that.

Just like when you were very little and the sign said "you must be this tall to ride this ride"......it really sucks when you don't come up to Donald Duck's hand, but everyone has cut-offs.

I bet there will be someone on here that knows of a school that has lower pa requirements. Good luck!

I take it you had to work a lot in undergrad hence the lower GPA. I worked but used mainly loan money to live off of so that I could get a great GPA which is an investment in the future (i.e. getting into PT school). I didn't know I wanted to be a PT (was thinking MD, PharmD, OD, PA etc.) so I aimed as high as I could and majored in Biochemistry. I still feel that doing really well in school has somewhat to do with smarts but it's more about motivation to get that grade. Most people are smart enough to get A's/B's in science classes, it's just how hard are they willing to go to get that grade IMHO. A good number of people won't put in the effort. I took organic chem and did really well but I had to study my butt off. Unfortunately you're this far already and you can't take the classes again. I would try somehow and go in with a chip on your shoulder, to prove to the PT committees that you have what it takes!

I believe schools want someone who can get the 3.4/3.5 but also have the leadership, volunteer hours, social skills etc. I don't believe you are well-rounded if you have all of these attributes but lack the GPA. I honestly hope this helps... I'm trying to speak the truth and not sugarcoat anything.

This conversation makes me think of Randy Pausch's last lecture (if you haven't seen/read it it's on youtube - about an hour, but time well spent). He says "The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people."

I'm not sure you want it bad enough. If you have a low GPA you need to bring it up. You can look for a better paying job, but you could also look for a second job, or mow your neighbors grass, or sell some belongings on ebay, or cancel your cable/internet service, etc. If you wanted it bad enough, you would figure out a way.

Why does GPA matter? Most schools require a B or higher in every course in order to continue in the program. If you're GPA is below 3.0 it doesn't reason that you'll be able to succeed. It doesn't matter how awesome you are in every other aspect if you can't earn a B in class.

Go back and re-read your posts. Whether you intended to or not, you are making a lot of excuses. It's not going to get you far in life. It's not the professor's fault for delaying a recommendation letter - it's your fault for not following up and also asking someone else to also write another letter just in case.

Last edited:
I take it you had to work a lot in undergrad hence the lower GPA. I worked but used mainly loan money to live off of so that I could get a great GPA which is an investment in the future (i.e. getting into PT school). I didn't know I wanted to be a PT (was thinking MD, PharmD, OD, PA etc.) so I aimed as high as I could and majored in Biochemistry. I still feel that doing really well in school has somewhat to do with smarts but it's more about motivation to get that grade. Most people are smart enough to get A's/B's in science classes, it's just how hard are they willing to go to get that grade IMHO. A good number of people won't put in the effort. I took organic chem and did really well but I had to study my butt off. Unfortunately you're this far already and you can't take the classes again. I would try somehow and go in with a chip on your shoulder, to prove to the PT committees that you have what it takes!

I believe schools want someone who can get the 3.4/3.5 but also have the leadership, volunteer hours, social skills etc. I don't believe you are well-rounded if you have all of these attributes but lack the GPA. I honestly hope this helps... I'm trying to speak the truth and not sugarcoat anything.

Valid points. I understand where you're coming from. I actually didn't work while in undergrad. I lived at my university and was frequently traveling back n forth due to family issues. I'm not going to get into it further, but I had a lot on my plate. Could it have been worse? Yeah, I could have easily dropped out. My last year I didn't have so many family issues and I made deans list with a 3.8. My ups and downs in undergrad weren't due to lack of effort that's for sure.

I appreciate you not sugarcoating and being straight to the point.

This conversation makes me think of Randy Pausch's last lecture (if you haven't seen/read it it's on youtube - about an hour, but time well spent). He says "The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people."

I'm not sure you want it bad enough. If you have a low GPA you need to bring it up. You can look for a better paying job, but you could also look for a second job, or mow your neighbors grass, or sell some belongings on ebay, or cancel your cable/internet service, etc. If you wanted it bad enough, you would figure out a way.

Why does GPA matter? Most schools require a B or higher in every course in order to continue in the program. If you're GPA is below 3.0 it doesn't reason that you'll be able to succeed. It doesn't matter how awesome you are in every other aspect if you can't earn a B in class.

Go back and re-read your posts. Whether you intended to or not, you are making a lot of excuses. It's not going to get you far in life. It's not the professor's fault for delaying a recommendation letter - it's your fault for not following up and also asking someone else to also write another letter just in case.

I've seen the lecture a few times. It's definitely a great piece. Do I want it bad enough? Absolutely. I wouldn't have turned down previous job offers if I didn't want to be a PT. I didn't spend the past 8 years of my life volunteering and working in the healthcare field for nothing.

As for your point regarding jobs, have you seen the job market lately? It's not exactly easy to just get a job. I've been looking for the past 3-4 months for a better paying job to no avail. Mowing my neighbors lawn for $10 every other week? Yeah, I'm sure that'll help. Selling my belongings on e-bay? I've done my fair share of that already through craigslist (it's free). I actually had some decent job offers upon graduation, but turned them all down.

As far as making excuses, that's your opinion. I'm not trying to avoid the matter. My GPA wasn't great nor was it horrible. Given my situation and things I had to deal with, I think I did pretty damn well actually. It is what it is. I can't go back and change it and nor do I wish I could.

With that all said, I believe I've found the answer to my own question. I'll meet with the admissions staff at different institutions and ask them exactly how I can improve my odds. I did only end up applying to one school, so it's not like I was denied from 10 different places.

Thanks for your input!

Yeah, I had originally planned on four schools, but one professor took too long with his letter of recommendation and as a result, those deadlines passed, so I was left with only one school. This time around I'll apply to more for sure.

I know the 2.9 GPA isn't grand, but it's not horrible considering things I had to go through and not to mention, taking organic chemistry which definitely didn't boost my GPA. I'm not using that as as excuse. Only reason why I'm somewhat worried is I feel too much emphasis is placed on the whole grade thing. Although schools claim to look at the "whole picture," some schools don't even conduct interviews. For all they know, the individual they are accepting could be some of the most socially awkward, introverted individuals.

I appreciate your response and advice. Hopefully this time around, since I'll have my applications in as early as possible, it will increase my chances.

Completely agree with you. The two schools I was turned down from were schools that accepted people based on paper and no interview. It was kind of funny, during my senior capstone presentation/research, one of the kids who was accepted to a school that I was denied could not talk his way out of a paper bag and had no social skills. However, I'm sure he had unbelievable grades...good luck with him during clinicals.

Get your overall GPA higher 3.00 and your pre-req GPA above 3.4 and apply early to rolling colleges. Apply to as many schools as you can stand filling out the applications too (8 was my max). It's not as hard to get into as you think, but everyone has to take a different path to get in. I remember talking to a girl at one interview that had applied 3 years in a row with no success, I admire that! I hope she's attending the school I am going to, she was HOT!:love:

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle. Consistency is key, I worked my butt off and was consistent for 4 year straight to get in.

Completely agree with you. The two schools I was turned down from were schools that accepted people based on paper and no interview. It was kind of funny, during my senior capstone presentation/research, one of the kids who was accepted to a school that I was denied could not talk his way out of a paper bag and had no social skills. His 30 minute seminar was horrid. However, I'm sure he had unbelievable grades...good luck with him during clinicals.

Get your overall GPA higher 3.00 and your pre-req GPA above 3.4 and apply early to rolling colleges. Apply to as many schools as you can stand filling out the applications too (8 was my max). It's not as hard to get into as you think, but everyone has to take a different path to get in. I remember talking to a girl at one interview that had applied 3 years in a row with no success, I admire that and maybe the schools do too! I hope she's attending the school I am going to, she was HOT!:love:

Last edited:
Completely agree with you. The two schools I was turned down from were schools that accepted people based on paper and no interview. It was kind of funny, during my senior capstone presentation/research, one of the kids who was accepted to a school that I was denied could not talk his way out of a paper bag and had no social skills. However, I'm sure he had unbelievable grades...good luck with him during clinicals.

Get your overall GPA higher 3.00 and your pre-req GPA above 3.4 and apply early to rolling colleges. Apply to as many schools as you can stand filling out the applications too (8 was my max). It's not as hard to get into as you think, but everyone has to take a different path to get in. I remember talking to a girl at one interview that had applied 3 years in a row with no success, I admire that! I hope she's attending the school I am going to, she was HOT!:love:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." --Aristotle. Consistency is key, I worked my butt off and was consistent for 4 year straight to get in.

Thanks for the kind words and great advice. I knew I'd get a mixed bag of opinions, but I appreciate your honesty and willing to assist. You met a girl that applied after she got rejected three years in a row? That's incredible. The determination there is unbelievable. The one intern who I worked with that just graduated from PT school was horrible when it came to social skills and the ability to execute under pressure. I assume she had stellar grades and they based her ability for success on that.

I'm trying my best to gain some income so I can retake a class or two. I'm keeping my head up. The road I've taken isn't the easiest that's for sure, but I'll reach the end goal.

This, exactly. I can only speak from my own program, but you will be put on probation and can be dismissed from the program for not keeping above a 3.0. PT school is harder than undergrad in general, so most schools will reason that if you can't maintain and 3.0 in undergrad, you'll probably struggle even more with it in grad school. Is it always fair? no. Might you do just fine? sure. But schools are receiving hundreds or thousands of applicants, and they need to set a cutoff; many schools are very clear that is a 3.0, which means your application will probably go directly to the rejection pile at those schools.

That being said, if it were me, I honestly wouldn't waste the application costs until you're there. If you're already at a 2.9, it shouldn't take much to bump it up that one-tenth. Finances are hard for a lot of people, but if you want it, you'll find a way to make it work. A few community college courses are pennies in comparison to the cost of PT school, and the application process certainly isn't cheap either. Then, when you are ready to apply, spread your application far and wide. I'd suggest aiming for some of the smaller/private/unranked schools and consider applying in areas where there is a high concentration of programs. And even though you said you didn't "want" to, retaking the GRE with a higher score will help prove that you can handle things academically, because it's not helping you right now.

I think you are on the right path... Talk to admissions, see what you can tweak to help get you the most out of your application. But I would really strongly suggest trying to tweak your budget to take 1-2 classes and doing really well in them to prove that you can do the academic work. There's a high correlation with higher GPA pass the PT exam, and unfortunately that is the breaks. I wouldn't pay $300 a credit for classes, but community college is usually $50 a credit, so a 4 credit class would be $200 dollars. Order an international edition of your text to cut down your expenses, and you could afford to take 1 class a semester and really improve your profile. If expenses are really that much of an issue, you could qualify for finacial aid at community college.

Good luck!

I think you should apply to more programs, Disperse your opportunities.

I think you should give it a try. I've looked through this forum inside out and have seen people get into PT school below a 3.0 gpa.

Once you've hit your volunteer mark, good recommendation and wing your interview...you'll get in.

Don't give up

good luck:luck:

Thank you very much. If I can land an interview somewhere, I'm pretty confident in my ability to make it in, but I gotta take the right steps first and that's applying to more schools! I appreciate the kind words.

I think you should apply to more programs, Disperse your opportunities.

Definitely a wise decision. I plan on applying to about 5-10 schools this time around. If I can financially afford it that is. PTCAS app. starts July 1st. Can't come soon enough

Good luck everyone!!

I'm working on my GRE now, the Verbal part is so difficult for me, whose native language is not English.