Dental hygienist in Florida!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbde2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends..
What are the requirements to get a dental hygienist license in Florida for international dentist?
Anybody who took the exam recently pls help me with the same..

Any Florida residents please reply this..

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi nbde2011. As a foreign trained DDS, i decided back in 2006 to pursue hygiene in FL. I was practicing as one till 2013. I am currently doing my AEGD. I will tell you now, do not proceed with hygiene. It is not worth your time. I will never advise any foreign grad to become an RDH. If you are unconvinced and still want to be one, I will walk you through the process.

Hi nbde2011. As a foreign trained DDS, i decided back in 2006 to pursue hygiene in FL. I was practicing as one till 2013. I am currently doing my AEGD. I will tell you now, do not proceed with hygiene. It is not worth your time. I will never advise any foreign grad to become an RDH. If you are unconvinced and still want to be one, I will walk you through the process.
Hi i am foreign trained dentist . I have taken my NBDE part 1 Exam . I have applied to the universities but did not receive any call . I am interested in becoming a dental hygienist . Can you please guide me through the process.I am distressed sitting at home without a job . I do have my EAD.

Reactions: 1 user
Please reply soon

I am not familiar with EAD. Tell me if you have taken the NBDHE. The FL dental board website is full of information as well. I still would discourage you to become a hygienist. But if you insist-
http://floridasdentistry.gov/licensing/dental-hygienist/
Thank you for the information. I have not taken NBDHE exam but have taken only NBDE part 1 . I also wanted to know if one is eligible to work in any city
after becoming licensed dental hygienist in Florida ? or Does the licensure permit working only in Florida ?

Thank you for the information. I have not taken NBDHE exam but have taken only NBDE part 1 . I also wanted to know if one is eligible to work in any city
after becoming licensed dental hygienist in Florida ? or Does the licensure permit working only in Florida ?

Unfortunately I did not search for any other state that would allow a FTD get reciprocity after getting the FL license. Most states require that you graduate from an ADA accredited dental hygiene program. I am pretty sure you are limited to practice only in FL. I hope you find a loophole. Good luck.

Dear Jules711,

I am RDH and currently practicing hygiene in Fl. Planing to apply this year to AEGD at Hialeah,and I would like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind?
It seems like very stressful process and your help would be highly helpful.
Please,let me know if I can shoot with some questions.Thanks a lot!

Dear Jules711,

I am RDH and currently practicing hygiene in Fl. Planing to apply this year to AEGD at Hialeah,and I would like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind?
It seems like very stressful process and your help would be highly helpful.
Please,let me know if I can shoot with some questions.Thanks a lot!

Ask away.

Hey, thanks for reply.
Where are you doing your AEGD program?
Did hygiene experiences had any positive effect on your selection to the program? Can you give me some insights regarding the actual interview process? I don't have any clue what to expect at all.... :)
I hope I'm not a big pain in a butt!:)

Hey, thanks for reply.
Where are you doing your AEGD program?
Did hygiene experiences had any positive effect on your selection to the program? Can you give me some insights regarding the actual interview process? I don't have any clue what to expect at all.... :)
I hope I'm not a big pain in a butt!:)

Hello Bujilaboris.
I am doing my AEGD with Lutheran Medical Center. You should check them online. Lots of resources available on their site.
I once asked my program director how i got picked and he said "i thought you could potentially bring in some maturity". I am not well decorated -GPA is average, but because i had been working for some time, he must have thought I could work well with other people. You see, LMC sites are in community clinics. You actually work as a dentist. Didactic is approx. 20-30%, the rest is clinical work. So being able to play well with others makes a difference.
Treat the interview process like any interview. Be honest and open. I was introduced to all the integral staff, was asked a bunch of questions and was shown the facility. I only went to one AEGD interview and it was for this one I am already in. Hope this helps.
Best of luck.

Thank you so much, you helped me a lot. Best of luck in your future carrier.

Hi everyone.

I would like to know if it's possible to do the license exams (NBDHE) with a tourist visa. I don't have the citizenship neither the Green Card so my plan is to get the License, look for a Job in Florida and get a H-1B visa.

But I don't know if I can get the licence without being a permanent resident.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you