Dental prerequisite for a community college student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UltraGood

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a Los Angeles City College District (LACCD) student aiming to transfer to the University of California (UC) as an undergraduate chemistry major. I'm aware that many dental schools don't accept online courses for prerequisites. Post-pandemic, numerous community colleges, including mine, continue to offer or exclusively provide online courses. I've completed English 1, 2, and Physics 1 online. These courses are transferrable to UC undergraduates due to agreements between my school and UCs, even if they're online. My transcript doesn't indicate the mode of instruction. Do you think also dental schools will accept these online classes for prerequisites?

If Physics 1 isn't accepted, could I combine Physics 2 and 3, which I took in person, to meet a one-year physics requirement for a dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should reach out to the schools to confirm. The California programs should be aware of the funding challenges with the state community colleges and should understand your situation. (I'm also sure other dental schools will sympathize too.)

Also i think you are on quarter courses, so you would need to complete the 3 course entire sequence anyway for Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Organic Chemistry/Biochemistry.

Reactions: 1 user
You should reach out to the schools to confirm. The California programs should be aware of the funding challenges with the state community colleges and should understand your situation. (I'm also sure other dental schools will sympathize too.)

Also i think you are on quarter courses, so you would need to complete the 3 course entire sequence anyway for Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Organic Chemistry/Biochemistry.
Thank you for your advice! I'll contact the dental school.

I'm on the semester system and the 3 Physics courses are equivalent to 4 Physics courses on the quarter system. The Physics class I took for the STEM major with Calculus.

Reactions: 1 users