Repeating a prerequisite for the third time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BodegaCat

Reaction score
I'm an international fourth-year pre-dental student in Canada and I'd like to apply to several schools across both Canada and US. My cGPA is 3.46 and my science GPA is 3.39. I'm taking the American DAT later this summer, but I have taken the Canadian DAT and got 20 on all categories (only one try). I'm hoping for a higher score this time.

Biochemistry at my university has been a nightmare for me. In other schools in the province, biochemistry is usually distributed across 2 semester, but it's condensed into one in mine with the same content and very limited methods of assessments (all exams, no lab or writing component or quizzes). Given these things and the school struggling to back to normal after the pandemic in Winter[Spring] 2021/2022, I've received a D on my first attempt. I've retaken the course this past semester (Winter 2022/2023) and I've received a C-.

Now my university's advisor at the Faculty of Dentistry is advising me to repeat biochemistry for the third time, even though they're going to eventually get the average of all the attempts. However, there's one higher-level course offered that I was thinking of taking instead, because I also don't want the other universities to look down upon my record if there's going to be three attempts for the same course on it.

What do you think and which option do you think is better?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Biochem is a tough course, I won’t fault you for struggling. But if you want to prove to adcoms that you can handle dental school, you’re gonna want to try your best on this third attempt and really strive for an A/A-

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally get you. I remember dealing with a similar issue with my course. Luckily, they didn't cut it short and we had two semesters to get through it. But it wasn't easier, especially after we got a new teacher in the second semester. Let's just say he was a bit green when it came to the subject matter, so we had to buckle down and learn a lot by ourselves - tough times indeed. It's been a few months, so I'm hoping you've been able to re-do the course.
If I could pass on a piece of advice to anyone else in this pickle, it would be to always retake these kinds of courses. Why? Well, a biochemistry course is practically tailor-made for dentistry. So even if you stumble the first time, dust yourself off and try again. You can lean on classmates' notes or those from previous students. And if you can't get your hands on hard copies, there's a wealth of electronic resources. As far as I know, there are sites with notes on all sorts of subjects from various universities, like edubirdie.com/docs/kansas-state-university/bioch-765-biochemistry-ii/33241-concept-of-enzymes-big-lecture-with-questions-and-answers at least they were a lifesaver when I was working my way through inorganic chemistry. This choice might not be the top pick, especially if you find the topic a bit tough. It's usually better to find a buddy who can work alongside you

Last edited:
Biochemistry is not required in 70% of US dental schools.
I took it as an Extra. Didn't need it
Anyway. Can't you take biochem in another college?

Yep, you're going to have to repeat biochem, or take an equivalent biochem course elsewhere. A C-minus is still NOT a passing grade in dental school admissions.
C- is a passing grade.
It's not a great grade, but if his other grades are good, his DAT is high, he has volunteering hours, shadowing hours, leadership, good PS, good LORs,
This C- will not be a big deal.
However, this C- is def bringing his GPA way down

C- is a passing grade.
It's not a great grade, but if his other grades are good, his DAT is high, he has volunteering hours, shadowing hours, leadership, good PS, good LORs,
This C- will not be a big deal.
However, this C- is def bringing his GPA way down
Check with the schools. It may be passing for undergrad but at my grad schools, 75% is passing, and a C-minus does not meet that.

Check with the schools. It may be passing for undergrad but at my grad schools, 75% is passing, and a C-minus does not meet that.
[SIZE=17px][B]I agree with[/B] Mr.Smile12[/SIZE] that it is best to check with the schools you will apply to and get advice. Don't waste a lot of time and money without knowing the facts. If you don't mind posting again if you get any information from the schools, it will help other students.

Wishing you the best...Nancy