Dental Programs for Foreign Trained Dentists - USC, UCLA, UCSF etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

pankajs

Hi Everyone,

I am applying for the Dental programs in these universities now. Most of them have a Dexterity test or a Clinical test.
Can you please guide me as to what preparation one can do for these tests, if at all.

Thanks so much.

Dipti

Members don't see this ad.

pankajs said:
Hi Everyone,

I am applying for the Dental programs in these universities now. Most of them have a Dexterity test or a Clinical test.
Can you please guide me as to what preparation one can do for these tests, if at all.

Thanks so much.

Dipti

Hi, Dipti
I would also like to know the same from someone who has gone through these tests.It will be really helpful.
Thanks
Toothzone
USC School of Dentistry

Satisfactory completion of and competence in the following academic and artistic entrance examinations to be given in November:

fixed prosthodontics (practical);

complete removable prosthodontics (written and practical);

operative dentistry (practical);

spatial relations (practical).
UCSF

Applicants who complete Part I of the application procedure and show potential for success in the program will be required to participate in Part II, which will take place at the UCSF School of Dentistry. Instruction manuals will be provided prior to the Technical Skill Examination. Part II will consist of:
1) Basic Dental Assessment Test
2) Technical Skill Examination (Technical Exam Fee is $200)
3) Personal Interview

Get hold of a Dentist in the area where you live and convince him/her to be an observant in the practice. Go to the nearest Dental school and buy the necessary Dental Materials for practice. Find out if the Dentist where you are observing will let you use the compressor facility off-hours for you to practice on the tooth that you bought. This way you could also get an experience letter from the dentist that you were observing with them.

If this does not work out try to find if any Dental Labs allows you to do so. If that does not work too, then you may want to buy a small compressor.

I personally did not have a chance to go through any of the structured training programs like Duggans. But, people say it helped them.

Having gone through the selection process, I could say that the practical test is pretty important in the overall selection process. Hope this helps.