Dental School Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shazilla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm still a high school senior right now but i've been thinking about a future in med school... but then i realized why not become a dentist instead? it seems like a funner job to me.... but anyways i'm finding it difficult to find info on dental school so here are some questions:

i was just wondering how competitive admission into dental schools were compared to admission into med schools? how many years does it take to complete dental school? what colleges have dental schools?

I know there are only 125 med schools and acceptance into any one of them is a huge accomplishment, is it the same with dental schools? also do you know where i can find a list of acceptance rates at dental schools?

these are just a few questions to start... i'll post more if any come to mind.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Shazilla said:
i'm still a high school senior right now but i've been thinking about a future in med school... but then i realized why not become a dentist instead? it seems like a funner job to me.... but anyways i'm finding it difficult to find info on dental school so here are some questions:

i was just wondering how competitive admission into dental schools were compared to admission into med schools? how many years does it take to complete dental school? what colleges have dental schools?

I know there are only 125 med schools and acceptance into any one of them is a huge accomplishment, is it the same with dental schools? also do you know where i can find a list of acceptance rates at dental schools?

these are just a few questions to start... i'll post more if any come to mind.

thanks

competition to get into dental school is increasing every year. although competition has been cyclical, many believe it will only increase to the level of med schools as people begin to see the brighter side of dentistry (less school, more money, less insurance = better life).

dental school is 4 years long, except pacific in which it is 3 years. there are almost 60 dental schools in the country. check ada.org for a complete listing.

acceptance into dental school is a HUGE accomplishment. there are about 1/2 the seats as the number of applicants. therefore, only 50% of applicants get into at least 1 school. you are competing against gunners just like med school, plus reapplicants that have only improved their stats and qualifications.

i hope i answered most of your questions. this board is a great resource...i suggest you do a search for any future questions you have as i'm sure they've been answered a million times before. :)

good luck :luck:

WS