Dental School and Health Insurance for your Family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAthrowaway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those of you who are in dental school and have a non-working spouse, what do you do for insurance for your family?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1st of all: this is pre-dental, not the dental student forum. You'll probably get better responses here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/dental.18/

2nd, I believe that you can get health insurance through the school and add your family onto the plan. Obviously, that's going to raise the cost quite a bit, but loans/financial aid should cover most if not all of it.

3rd, look into private and government-funded insurances. If your family makes less than a certain amount, you should qualify for medicaid. If you are under 26, you should be able to piggyback on your parent's health insurance (assuming they have a plan). Finally, private insurance is always available and (again) should be covered by your student loans.

Disclaimer: not all points may be valid; I am not an insurance expert and would recommend that you talk to an insurance representative or actual dental students on the other forum.

Get that Obamacare. I am sure you will get approved as a student

Thanks. I will check out the dental student forum also.

If you are under 26, YOU can be on your parent's plan but your spouse and children can not. Your spouse could be on her parent's plan but you would need something for the children. Like said above, you can get coverage through your school, just price out plans on the exchange, medicare and the school policy to see what is the most reasonable, including out of pocket costs! I just looked at my in-state plan, it's $1100/month for a family plan, YIKES!!!

You can get coverage through the school or possibly your parent. Your wife might be eligible to get coverage through her parent, or she and the kids can get Medicaid or CHIP. They may count your loans as income, so I'm not sure what you will qualify for. Private insurance is also available, but make sure your family doesn't qualify for free/very low cost insurance first.