Dental School In state vs Out of state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandabearsnake

Reaction score
Are there any disadvantages of going to dental school out of your own state? I am applying this cycle I just want to be wary of applying out of state.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Cost is one thing... you will likely have to pay out-of-state tuition for the first year (or all four if you aren't able to/don't want to gain residency). Other than that, nothing much?

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any disadvantages of going to dental school out of your own state? I am applying this cycle I just want to be wary of applying out of state.

Thank you!

Dentists are going to be getting paid 50% or more of their income for the remaining future..... why would you go to a school that costs more than $200k??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dentists are going to be getting paid 50% or more of their income for the remaining future..... why would you go to a school that costs more than $200k??
haha, where can I get a crystal ball like that? Dentists are going to be fine. We (dentists) went through this in the 80s with AIDS and came out fine.

On the OPs topic - 1) state schools have a quote/preference for applicants from their own state 2) in-state is cheaper

W
haha, where can I get a crystal ball like that? Dentists are going to be fine. We (dentists) went through this in the 80s with AIDS and came out fine.

On the OPs topic - 1) state schools have a quote/preference for applicants from their own state 2) in-state is cheaper

Well just think about the media and the scare. "Rich dentists will be fine". It is all conjecture. It will take a while for the market to come back until a vaccine is available, it would be at even 50% of capacity. The older people that need the bridge work and implants will wait. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Are there any disadvantages of going to dental school out of your own state?
1. Costs: higher costs (especially private dental schools). Plus, all the plane flights to come home for holidays if driving back is not a ideal option
2. Licensure: depending on the school/state they may offer only a certain board exam. For example, my classmate in dental school (TX) wanted to practice in Florida. TX offers only WREB and FL takes NERB. As a result, she had to fly patients and do her exam in Florida which was a HUGE hassle from what I can tell. Some dental schools are aware of this and will offer both WREB, CRDTs, etc. for licensure.

*Overall, costs and being and being close to family/friends are why I wanted to stay in-state. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the state. Georgia only accepts a regional board exam. My georgia classmates took two patients boards exams because of that. It's easier to network when you're in dental school in the state you want to practice.

Which schools specifically are you interested in and where are you from?

If you are worried about cost, there are some OOS schools in which you can switch residency that have reasonable costs like UNC, UConn, and UCSF but these are pretty competitive. Texas schools are also extremely competitive if you're OOS for them.

Rutgers alsoallows switching to in-state after the first year.