dental school paid by coast guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ovega03

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im a predent student trying to research the best way to pay for dent school. i was told by a dentist that the coast guard offers a great program. ive been trying to research it online but there isnt anything detailed at all. i was hoping to find someone here to help me out. im curious to see what exactly you do after you graduate from dent school, whether you go through the coast guard training and practice dentistry or do other random stuff that they require. id appreciate any links and responses.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The Coast Guard is itself a branch of the US Armed Forces---although it is not as glorified as the 4 main branches it is operated in much the same way. I imagine you would be required to fulfill the same requirements that the other branches require---for every year paid you are to repay with one year of service. When I researched scholarships last year, I never found anything regarding the Coast Guard. Best of Luck!

ovega03 said:
im a predent student trying to research the best way to pay for dent school. i was told by a dentist that the coast guard offers a great program. ive been trying to research it online but there isnt anything detailed at all. i was hoping to find someone here to help me out. im curious to see what exactly you do after you graduate from dent school, whether you go through the coast guard training and practice dentistry or do other random stuff that they require. id appreciate any links and responses.

thanks

Here's some info:

If you are a physician, dentist, nurse practitioner, physician's assistant or pharmacist and would like more information about active duty positions for health care professionals, please contact:

Captain Mike Adess
Commandant (G-WKH-3)
USCG Headquarters, Room 5314
2100 2nd Street, SW
Washington, DC 20593-0001 Voice: (202) 267-0805
Fax: (202) 267-4685
e-mail: [email protected]

Call this dude and ask...

All the Coasties I've met were cared by the Navy or contract dentists...

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info. i would love to hear from someone who has experienced the coast guard or other branches of the US public health service.

ovega03 said:
thanks for the info. i would love to hear from someone who has experienced the coast guard or other branches of the US public health service.

I have a friend in the coast guard and he loves it, but he deals with helicopters and going on patrols near the bay. There are a lot of open spots for dentists right now in the coast guard. I know the navy and airforce are desperate right now,,,and the airforce has a $30,000 sign on bonus if you qualify, however, I would check out the military section of this forum, because it seems healthcare professionals in the military is a crappy job right now, mainly for gen prac's,,,but maybe for dents too, I'm really not sure what their situation is, and would also like some more info.

There is a really good website on this dentist who served in the army who got a scholarship and went to UOP http://members.tripod.com/~softballteam/dental.html

You wouldn't happen to be a bodybuilder, fan of Arnold, college student, undecided on careers, and thinking of becoming a dentist and joining the coast guard would you?

If so, I assure you, your not alone. :cool:

It was my understanding that the Navy and Coast Guard use the same program, so if you sign up to be a Navy dentist you could end up in the coast guard.