Dental school scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, for the average dental school of about 100 students, costing about $70,000 in total ($45,000 in tuition):

- How many full tuition scholarships are given out?
- How many half tuition scholarships are given out?
- How many scholarships are given out in total?
- Are there many institutional scholarships given out that are less than half tuition?
- What are the average GPA and DAT scores for the above types of scholarships?
- How much of does interview performance, financial need, and cultural background weigh on scholarships?
- Can you get a scholarship for having a family member already go through dental school?

Obviously this is hypothetical because this is so broad, but what are the general answers to these questions?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally speaking, for the average dental school of about 100 students, costing about $70,000 in total ($45,000 in tuition):

- How many full tuition scholarships are given out?
- How many half tuition scholarships are given out?
- How many scholarships are given out in total?
- Are there many institutional scholarships given out that are less than half tuition?
- What are the average GPA and DAT scores for the above types of scholarships?
- How much of does interview performance, financial need, and cultural background weigh on scholarships?
- Can you get a scholarship for having a family member already go through dental school?

Obviously this is hypothetical because this is so broad, but what are the general answers to these questions?

this question is beyond hypothetical, and to be frank...there is no cookie cutter formula. it really depends on the school...

At the Buffalo interview day I believe they said they offered 2 full scholarships and 2 half scholarships. Sounded like the factors considered were all of the ones you named. One of the scholarships in particular was reserved for matriculants who took "the road less traveled". I imagine that the number of scholarships and factors considered would be similar at other schools, but none of the ones I interviewed at were transparent regarding the process.

As for actual numbers, this is a pre dental forum so no one is going to know them. You would have to be on the admissions committee to be in the know, and even in that case it would only be for one school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For UF, it's not merit based because it's a state school. It's financial needs based. I guess the better option in my opinion is the military scholarships.

For UF, it's not merit based because it's a state school. It's financial needs based. I guess the better option in my opinion is the military scholarships.
I know of several state schools that offer merit-based scholarships.

- How many full tuition scholarships are given out? I didn't even know schools gave full-tuition scholarships, but looks like it's based on the school. I'd research that.
- How many half tuition scholarships are given out? ^ Same.
- How many scholarships are given out in total? Depends on the school, but usually not a lot I would think. They need to make money somehow.
- Are there many institutional scholarships given out that are less than half tuition? Yeah, my school gives out like $25,000 and $10,000 per year for whoever receives the scholarship, I believe.
- What are the average GPA and DAT scores for the above types of scholarships? They're not all merit-based.
- How much of does interview performance, financial need, and cultural background weigh on scholarships? I don't think interview performance has anything to do with it, and neither does cultural background.
- Can you get a scholarship for having a family member already go through dental school? Nope, not that I know of.

If you really want to be guaranteed to have your tuition covered without loans, you might want to look into HPSP/NHSC scholarships.

UOP and Upenn are the only ones I know that give out significant scholarships.

Uconn gives out a full tuition scholarship (not including fees). i imagine both UB and Uconn being less than 140k for COA if someone received one. Even cheaper than Texas.

For the need based scholarships, just how "needy" do you have to be? Really, how many people can afford dental school out of pocket?? Also, for the other awards, are those mostly for URM? I'm just trying to get a handle on the chances of getting scholarships/aid that is not loans to plan ahead. No DAT yet, taking next year, GPA is 3.6-3.8 depending on how it will be calculated when all is said and done.

Last edited:
For the merit based scholarships, just how "needy" do you have to be? Really, how many people can afford dental school out of pocket?? Also, for the other awards, are those mostly for URM? I'm just trying to get a handle on the chances of getting scholarships/aid that is not loans to plan ahead. No DAT yet, taking next year, GPA is 3.6-3.8 depending on how it will be calculated when all is said and done.
Merit based scholarships are based on your application (stats) not on your finances.