Dentistry in Saudi Arabia, UAE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abina81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about dentistry opportunities in these countries.

abina81

Members don't see this ad.

abina81 said:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about dentistry opportunities in these countries.

abina81

Maybe in the International Dental Forum you'll have more luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
abina81 said:
Hi,

abina81
I would like to know too. Especially UAE.

I want to know how easy it is to get a job as a U.S. citizen graduating from a US dent school.

In regards to saudi - the only place ull get paid amazing money and benefits is Saudi Aramco. they arent hiring the #of americans they used to but ull still find some positions. saad medical hospital in khobar also pays ok. But these days if hospitals do hire western expats they are going for south africans, or european passports. And lebanese, jordanian, egyptian and other arab/asian nationalities eat up the markets 1 to 3 grand a month is a lot cheaper than americans. my .2 cents from livin in the gulf my whole life

I lived in the Gulf my whole life too and I would definitely recommend UAE over Saudi.

As a middlle east born and raised I can say that even if Saudi gives a bigger paycheck, life in UAE is a lot better. If you are a woman or a married man, I would think twice about going to Saudi. UAE is one of the coolest places to live (on a world wide scale). Very liberal, lot of opportunities to have a great social life/ or have a life for that matter.

Bottom line: no one makes as much money as a Dentist in America. If you can accept that fact and stomach a pay cut along with a status cut, you'll be ok.

And in the UAE, focus on Dubai. Abu Dhabi is primarily diplomatic and less liberal than Dubai.

Second that. Dubai is the most liberal and very metropolitan. Although, the market may be saturated too.

AMMD said:
Bottom line: no one makes as much money as a Dentist in America. If you can accept that fact and stomach a pay cut along with a status cut, you'll be ok.

I can guarantee American dentists working for Saudi Aramco make more money

kash_711 said:
I can guarantee American dentists working for Saudi Aramco make more money
Any evidence/sources to back that up?

Here is the evidence

http://www.jobsataramco.com/index1.html

Housing provided, water paid, electricity paid, taxes paid, many benefits, MEDICAL, amazing schooling, boarding school paid, plane tickets (full fare) for whole family paid, cars are cheaper 5% duty, gas is cheaper, easy lifestlye - maids or houseboys, planned community, you only work from 7 - 4, 5 days a week, Bahrain less than 30 minutes away (mini dubai), and my friends dad who is a dentist would not have left a private practice in the states to go to saudi for less money, the only thing that brings americans to saudi is more MONEY and an amazing retirement plan. The PROBLEM is getting a job there check there website often

Don't waste your time on Dubai or another country in the middle east unless you are a specialized type of dentist. typical dentists make about 100k a year in the states and aramco. Salaries in the gulf are way less so ppl can't afford an american dentist. The only place that can afford an american is aramco

Although the pay is pretty high, you will always be a salaried employee. In the states you can build a practice which will add to your net worth and one that you can sell and cash out. Also, if you do go to Saudi then think about all the restrictions you have to live with. No alcohol, female relatives/ wife etc. have to wear a hijab all the time and they cant drive or work... who needs that kind of a lifestyle when you can make a decent living in the states? If you were say a primary care physician, then by all means go for the high pay which you cant get here, but the opportunities dentists have in the USA are unparallelled. Lastly, the middle east of today is not what it was in the 70's- 90's golden era (when my parents went there). Now the money is runing short, there is animosity towards expatriates and the society is a lot more radical. The UAE is the only country that has successfully made a smooth transition into modernity, Bahrain is on its way, and Oman better get there especially with their oil runing out in the next 2 years and all.

If you have proper legal status in the USA, stay here, you can achieve a lot more.

Sounds like the US rewards more to it's Dentists, although at some point later in my career, I wouldn't mind living at the UAE as a practicing Dentist.

Thanks guys!

Hey everyone!!! Thanks to Meggs for bringing this thread to my attention! :) I am of Indian origin, but I have lived the first 18 years of my life in Abu Dhabi. I never really planned to work there so what information I have is what I hear from my friends who are dentists there, and so here's the disclaimer: Double check!! :D

The primary question is: do you have a BDS or an MDS.. for the former, you will need to give (take!!) a Ministry of Health Exam (both written and clinical)which is getting increasingly difficult to pass, because, you guessed it.. saturation. Also you will need to have a few years of work experience (in any country).. I'm not sure how many, it keeps changing every year. For post grads, just a clinical exam is required.. when I say 'just' I don't mean its any easier to pass... I repeat, its getting very difficult, especially since the UAE is undergoing a nationalization program. While this took a long time to catch up with health professions, Asian graduates definitely feel the pinch now.

Regarding the old Abu Dhabi vs. Dubai issue.. I guess its natural for me to be a little biased towards my home-emirate. But it all depends on what you're looking for.. if you're used to a fast pace, enjoy partying and generally want to live it up, Dubai is the place. Abu Dhabi is more family oriented, quieter, the rents are lower and the Emirate is just as beautiful!!

I hope this was useful, sorry for being late, you can PM me if you have anything you want to talk about. :)

Tasha

hey cud u help me out wid more info abt dentistry in Dubai?? pls help out....... i want to settle in Dubai, n have completed my BDS frm India.. i have no clue as to whr to start frm.. can i pursue further studies thr, with the degreee tht i hold?? i guess gettin a job is pretty tuff thr, after the licence exam is cleared.. pls pls pls help me out!!!!!!!!!!!!