Department of Defense

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuropsyance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know much about how I could make myself competitive for a job with the Department of Defense (particularly anything related to TBI)? Also, do you know if there is much job security in these positions?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of job within the DoD? They probably offer a number of positions, depending on your area of expertise. Just a word of warning.....applying to positions at the DoD or any other gov't agency/quasi-gov't agency that works with sensative material can take a long time. Any position that requires security clearance can literally take 6-10+ months.

In my former career I was recruited by the DoD and some defense contractors, and the paperwork alone for the security clearance was a huge hassle. They spend a great deal of time, money, effort to dig through your past, so be aware that any position requiring security clearance will be invasive. They called every place I ever worked, lived, or spent any significant amount of time. They will also talk to friends, relatives, and known associates to make sure that you are not a liability. I took another position before they finished, but it was definitely an eye opener.

Depending on the position, they may hire you and pay you while you wait for clearance, though that is not common. My friend was paid for 6 months while she waited for her clearance, though she was "uniquely qualified" in her area of expertise, though this was almost 9 years ago now, so things may have changed. The good news is that once you receive your clearance, as long as you keep it up to date, you have a HUGE advantage over other applicants if you ever decide to change positions.