Deportation Case Count On Background Check?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SirCourageWolf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

Combed through for a similar case but have been unable to find one so please pardon me. I'm applying in the spring and understand that it is possible to be asked regarding any criminal record on secondaries (and
the AMCAS app itself).

As an undocumented immigrant (infant with parent), I was eventually able to apply for employment authorization and then permanent residency. However on PR interview day, my petitioner was overseas working and when I showed up alone, was fingerprinted and released upon my own recognizance with a later notice for deportation. Pre-DACA. 3 years later, at court, I was granted a formal cancellation of removal w/permanent residency. Passed background checks to intern, volunteer, and work in hospitals.

The rub is that I cannot bloody find out if that is an actual "pop positive" on a med school/FBI level check.
Specifically, it has been difficult to ascertain whether that "counts", so to speak. I have emailed my former immigration lawyer and am pending reply.

It is the right thing to do in being clear about the situation, if asked, but is a true point of concern? Has anyone had a similar situation?

**edit**
Found enough info, so for anyone searching through: Deportation is considered a civil matter and not a criminal offense. With a successful resolution, the likelihood of this being a fatal flaw in an app is low. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Glad it worked out.

FYI there are a number of legit sites that you can pay for a background check to be done on yourself.

Certified Background is one if I remember correctly.

Glad it worked out.

FYI there are a number of legit sites that you can pay for a background check to be done on yourself.

Certified Background is one if I remember correctly.

Thanks! I will likely do this as well for the sake of peace of mind.