Dermatologist or Internal Medicine Clinical Volunteering/Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Protato

Reaction score
Recently got two opportunities over summer break. They call it internship, but it's probably just doing things in their clinic. My problem is that I'm unsure which opportunity is better. Normally I would just go for the internal medicine clinic because it's primary care and it's closer. However I think I have a chance at getting a different IM clinic opportunity next summer through some connections (due to some miscommunication, I was unable to obtain it this year because it was already full). But of course, there is always a chance I am unable to get it next year. Would it be bad if the only clinical volunteering I have on my app is at a dermatologist clinic and some hospital volunteering? This post is so neurotic but I really am unsure of which opportunity I should go for.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just a bit worried about my only clinical experience being IM clinic volunteering. Will more competitive schools care that it is IM?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I am just a bit worried about my only clinical experience being IM clinic volunteering. Will more competitive schools care that it is IM?
Will more competitive schools care that you didn't take the dermatology internship?? Do you think this because derm is competitive?

To answer your question, no.

IM clinic is a better volunteer experience. It will give you a better idea of what it is to be a physician.

Reactions: 3 users
So you are only going to do clinical hours in the summer? Why is that?
But IM is much better. It might give you a better chance to work face to face with patients. And don’t be disappointed if these “internships” don’t pan out into what you think. You might be better off getting a part time clinical job at a hospital year round or volunteer at a hospice center or at a free clinic.

So you are only going to do clinical hours in the summer? Why is that?
But IM is much better. It might give you a better chance to work face to face with patients. And don’t be disappointed if these “internships” don’t pan out into what you think. You might be better off getting a part time clinical job at a hospital year round or volunteer at a hospice center or at a free clinic.
I attend university in a different city and the city I attend school at is quite remote and I can't get anywhere without a car which I do not have. That's why I'm hoping to get most of my experience primarily in the summer months

As a shadowing experience, IM is better as it is longitudinal care (what most doctors do).
Schools like to see primary care experience far more than referral services.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users