Des Moines University Match List 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coloradoguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Des Moines recently posted their match list, and it was a school I was interested in. However the match list seemed fairly week. The things I specifically noticed were they have few matches for Emergency medicine and Anesthesiology.specialties that are typically osteopathic friendly. I was hoping some people might chime in with their thoughts.

http://www.dmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/2013-Specialties.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• des moines match.pdf
    293.6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Des Moines recently posted their match list, and it was a school I was interested in. The things I specifically noticed were they do not have many matches for Emergency medicine and Anesthesiology, typically strong osteopathic matches. I was hoping some people might chime in with their thoughts.

For any school, more students will match into internal medicine, family medicine, and pediatrics than emergency medicine and anesthesiology.

3 plastic surgery matches is pretty good. Overall it looks like a solid list.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 plastic surgery matches is pretty good. Overall it looks like a solid list.

Absolutely.
And... GENERAL SURGERY!!?!?!
ani_bouncy.gif

Absolutely.
And... GENERAL SURGERY!!?!?!
ani_bouncy.gif

DMU has a strong surgery prep focus. They have a 30 hour pre surgery rotation surgery tech class. But yah, it's easily one of my top DO choices.

DMU has a strong surgery prep focus. They have a 30 hour pre surgery rotation surgery tech class. But yah, it's easily one of my top DO choices.

It has become my top DO choice :laugh:

Des Moines recently posted their match list, and it was a school I was interested in. However the match list seemed fairly week. The things I specifically noticed were they have few matches for Emergency medicine and Anesthesiology.specialties that are typically osteopathic friendly. I was hoping some people might chime in with their thoughts.

How do you look at that and say that it is weak?

Just because a large chunk of the class did not match into a specific residency doesn't mean that they weren't "qualified" to. Match lists are based on the desire of the students as much as everything else- I know there are a lot of matches on this list that I would personally be very happy with, and that's not because they are in "competitive" specialties.

How do you look at that and say that it is weak?

Just because a large chunk of the class did not match into a specific residency doesn't mean that they weren't "qualified" to. Match lists are based on the desire of the students as much as everything else- I know there are a lot of matches on this list that I would personally be very happy with, and that's not because they are in "competitive" specialties.

He's just blowing steam to compensate for RVU's weak list this year.

I am going to be starting at DMU in the fall. To me, the match list seems pretty solid. I am actually surprised at the number of people who matched into pretty competitive specialities. These are the numbers for those who didn't go into FM, IM, or Peds:

3-Anesthesia
5-Diagnostic Radiology
13-EM
11-General Surgery
18-OBGYN
2-Ophthalmology
3-Plastics
7-Orthopedic Surgery

The "plastics" isn't really plastics. It's ENT, which is still good. There are no AOA integrated plastic surgery residencies. There are, however, aoa plastic surgery fellowships.

You missed the 2 urology at the end of the list, heh.

Seriously looks like one of the best match lists I have seen at an Osteopathic college

Seriously looks like one of the best match lists I have seen at an Osteopathic college

It's good in the sense that there are a lot of surgery spots, but few of the hospitals are very "impressive". Indiana university and mayo are good. The university hospitals in Iowa, wisconscin, Nebraska, and Ohio are decent. Penn state is decent. University of illnosis, university of Chicago (I'm guessing north shore), john hopkins sinai are okay.

Nycom, for instance, had matches at "better" programs.

This prestige stuff is kind of nonsense. The training is probably fine at most, if not all, of dmu's matches.

Let me fix that for you

"A very week list"

I think its great, it has all of the programs I think I could possibly be interested in. I dont care much for prestige. I just want to do what I want to do and any program that allows me to do that is high on my list. Although I have to admit the Mayo PM&R makes me a little excited :)

Reactions: 1 user
It's good in the sense that there are a lot of surgery spots, but few of the hospitals are very "impressive". Indiana university and mayo are good. The university hospitals in Iowa, wisconscin, Nebraska, and Ohio are decent. Penn state is decent. University of illnosis, university of Chicago (I'm guessing north shore), john hopkins sinai are okay.

Nycom, for instance, had matches at "better" programs.

This prestige stuff is kind of nonsense. The training is probably fine at most, if not all, of dmu's matches.

Isn't case western good too?

Isn't case western good too?

Yea, case is pretty good.

Its pretty hard to tell if a program good or not. You can't just go by name recognition or US news rankings.

I think the best way to tell if a program is "good" is to check out the fellowship placement of the program, which is usually posted online.

That's why people want to go to prestigious programs because it makes it easier to get your choice of fellowship, and the better fellowship you get the more job opportunities you'll have.

Im not sure how much it really matters, though.

Last edited:
Yea, case is pretty good.

Its pretty hard to tell if a program good or not. You can't just go by name recognition or US news rankings.

I think the best way to tell if a program is "good" is to check out the fellowship placement of the program, which is usually posted online.

That's why people want to go to prestigious programs because it makes it easier to get your choice of fellowship, and the better fellowship you get the more job opportunities you'll have.

Im not sure how much it really matters, though.

Hey cliquesh can you enlighten me on how fellowship works, and what do they look at when you are trying to apply for one (how can someone be competitive for fellowship) ? Also, can you be attending and be in a fellowship at the same time?

Hey cliquesh can you enlighten me on how fellowship works, and what do they look at when you are trying to apply for one (how can someone be competitive for fellowship) ? Also, can you be attending and be in a fellowship at the same time?

Fellowships are additional training after residency. You generally will apply to fellowship the year before your last year, so if you're doing internal medicine, which is three years long, you'll apply during your second year. If you're doing anesthesia, which is 4years, you'll apply during your 3rd year. The application process for some fellowships, like internal medicine fellowships, is standardized. There is a national application service run by the NRMP and you match into your fellowship like you'd match into your residency.

Other fellowships, like bone and soft tissue pathology, do not use any standardized service. Instead you apply directly to the program and, if they like you, they'll offer you the position; you do not have to wait for match day.

Reputation of your training program is arguably the most important factor. Research, LORs, board scores, medical school transcripts are also used. Some specialities use the scores from in-service examinations, which are speciality specific exams all residents need to take once a year.

It's pretty much just applying to residency all over, but more research is probably expected.

It's in your best interest to go to a residency that has the fellowships you are interested in, and has a history of taking their own internal candidates.

No, you cannot be a fellow in training and attending at the same time. However, you can be a fellow of your speciality college and an attending at the same time. Like, if you're an established cardiologist, you can become a fellow of the American college of Cardiology and stick FACC behind your name, so you'd be Dr. Night, D.O., FACC.

inb4 someone screams Bayview is not Hopkins.

Hah, serenade knows what's up. That John Hopkins/Sinai match, is Sinai hospital in Baltimore and it has an affiliation with John Hopkins in name only; few, if any, attendings from the main hospital work there. Similarly, I'm pretty sure the university of Chicago internal medicine match is at the UofChicago north shore campus, which is a community hospital. Many hospitals have satellite campuses, like mayo in arizona, clevelnd clinic in Florida, Yale, univ. penn, etc, and they are generally no where near the same quality as the main campus.

Last edited: