Destiny medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, a few facts about your choice of med school:

90 credit hours of undergrad required (not even an undergrad degree mentioned as a requirement)

No MCAT required

Out of one graduating class, only 4 are now doing residency and no mention of what specialty they're doing residency in

Don't believe me? Here's the link: Behold!

http://www.comhssl.net/casa/index.php/about-us/faqs.html

Hey, a few facts about your choice of med school:

90 credit hours of undergrad required (not even an undergrad degree mentioned as a requirement)

No MCAT required

Out of one graduating class, only 4 are now doing residency and no mention of what specialty they're doing residency in

Don't believe me? Here's the link: Behold!

http://www.comhssl.net/casa/index.php/about-us/faqs.html
Finally a mature response to my post , thank you so much , I appreciate that .

Members don't see this ad :)
dr.match2015 or whoever the **** you are. How dare you insult skip? You are a bloody son of a bitch. He has been there and his advices help us greatly. Destiny med school my foot you idiot. Go rot in hell you *******.

The sniping on this thread is amazing, I am surprised it has not yet been closed.

To the OP:

1. It sounds like you're plan is to re-enroll in medical school to improve your YOG. As you have discovered, very few medical schools will let you do so. You can interpret this one of two ways: 1) it's a completely crazy idea that makes no sense, hence why most schools will not let you do it, and Destiny will let you do it because they are deperate and want your tuition at any cost; or 2) Destiny is very forward thinking and reasonable while other schools are close minded. As you can probably tell, most of us believe option #1. Hence why we are warning you that this is a bad idea.

2. Will it work? Sort of. If you were to enroll at Destiny, graduate, and then apply in ERAS, your new YOG would be listed. There's only one spot for YOG, so any filter based upon YOG would see your new graduation date. Therefore, programs that electronically screen out applicants over a certain YOG would now not screen your application. Does that mean that you might get more interviews? Maybe, but there are problems with your plan:

A) You will not be able to retake the steps. Any stories you have heard of people retaking the steps by going back to medical school (which I have seen once, in the NYCOM emigre program) likely happened because the person didn't take Step 3. Then, their Step 1/2 scores "expired" and their school was able to petition for them to take the steps again. If you've already passed Step 3, it is very unlikely / almost impossible that you will get another chance to take the steps.

B) When you apply via ERAS, you'll only be able to submit a single transcript. If your school can't / won't include your prior transcript, that might be a problem.

3. This medical school's track record, based only upon what they have posted on their website, isn't reassuring. They have been in business since 2002, so presumably started graduating students in 2006, so 7 years of graduates. Their total number of graduates for all 7 years is 33. They state that 4 of their "most recent" graduates got positions but don't mention in what field. So, even their own descriptions (which are probably biased in their favor) make this sound concerning. If we look at the NRMP "Charting Outcomes" focusing on IMG's, they break things down in Table 15 by country. St Lucia has 3 medical schools with graduates (and, apparently according to wikipedia, two more that have started / are starting). All of those schools combined had 12 people match, and 40 not match for US IMG's. Spartan is more established, so Destiny's match might be worse than this. And if you're not a US citizen, it's certain to be worse.

4. I don't know you, and behavior on an online anonymous forum may be different than IRL. However, you do seem quick to insult people who honestly are trying to help. Skip has been here for a long time. He (I think?) is not mean, and does not randomly insult people. He does try to speak the truth, even when others don't want to hear it. He went to the Carib, and has been very successful. His salary (if we use that as a measure of success) is much higher than mine. But he has stated multiple times to multiple people that the Carib is a last resort, an uphill battle, fraught with difficulty, and can be a disaster. Your situation is very atypical, already has "problems" (Step scores that are low for an IMG), and you're considering a very low ranked school.

Bottom line:

The honest truth is that this is a really bad idea. There is some small chance it will work, and you will get a residency. If you're willing to take a huge financial risk for that small chance, it's your choice. More likely than not, you'll end up in the same boat -- no residency, but now much more debt. Educational debt is not dischargable in bankruptcy, so you'll be forced to pay it back no matter what. Not finding a job after school will not (in general) be an acceptable excuse for getting rid of your loans. With only 33 total graduates ever, it's unlikely you're going to get much input from students there. There is very little, if any, traffic on the ValueMD site, which should also be telling.

And, insulting others on this site is unacceptable, IMHO. It's an anonymous, free site where people post their opinions. If you don't like someone's attitude, you can block them. If you think someone is attacking you, you can report their post. As a completely outside observer, it's your posts on this thread that are the most concerning.

Reactions: 3 users
The sniping on this thread is amazing, I am surprised it has not yet been closed.

To the OP:

1. It sounds like you're plan is to re-enroll in medical school to improve your YOG. As you have discovered, very few medical schools will let you do so. You can interpret this one of two ways: 1) it's a completely crazy idea that makes no sense, hence why most schools will not let you do it, and Destiny will let you do it because they are deperate and want your tuition at any cost; or 2) Destiny is very forward thinking and reasonable while other schools are close minded. As you can probably tell, most of us believe option #1. Hence why we are warning you that this is a bad idea.

2. Will it work? Sort of. If you were to enroll at Destiny, graduate, and then apply in ERAS, your new YOG would be listed. There's only one spot for YOG, so any filter based upon YOG would see your new graduation date. Therefore, programs that electronically screen out applicants over a certain YOG would now not screen your application. Does that mean that you might get more interviews? Maybe, but there are problems with your plan:

A) You will not be able to retake the steps. Any stories you have heard of people retaking the steps by going back to medical school (which I have seen once, in the NYCOM emigre program) likely happened because the person didn't take Step 3. Then, their Step 1/2 scores "expired" and their school was able to petition for them to take the steps again. If you've already passed Step 3, it is very unlikely / almost impossible that you will get another chance to take the steps.

B) When you apply via ERAS, you'll only be able to submit a single transcript. If your school can't / won't include your prior transcript, that might be a problem.

3. This medical school's track record, based only upon what they have posted on their website, isn't reassuring. They have been in business since 2002, so presumably started graduating students in 2006, so 7 years of graduates. Their total number of graduates for all 7 years is 33. They state that 4 of their "most recent" graduates got positions but don't mention in what field. So, even their own descriptions (which are probably biased in their favor) make this sound concerning. If we look at the NRMP "Charting Outcomes" focusing on IMG's, they break things down in Table 15 by country. St Lucia has 3 medical schools with graduates (and, apparently according to wikipedia, two more that have started / are starting). All of those schools combined had 12 people match, and 40 not match for US IMG's. Spartan is more established, so Destiny's match might be worse than this. And if you're not a US citizen, it's certain to be worse.

4. I don't know you, and behavior on an online anonymous forum may be different than IRL. However, you do seem quick to insult people who honestly are trying to help. Skip has been here for a long time. He (I think?) is not mean, and does not randomly insult people. He does try to speak the truth, even when others don't want to hear it. He went to the Carib, and has been very successful. His salary (if we use that as a measure of success) is much higher than mine. But he has stated multiple times to multiple people that the Carib is a last resort, an uphill battle, fraught with difficulty, and can be a disaster. Your situation is very atypical, already has "problems" (Step scores that are low for an IMG), and you're considering a very low ranked school.

Bottom line:

The honest truth is that this is a really bad idea. There is some small chance it will work, and you will get a residency. If you're willing to take a huge financial risk for that small chance, it's your choice. More likely than not, you'll end up in the same boat -- no residency, but now much more debt. Educational debt is not dischargable in bankruptcy, so you'll be forced to pay it back no matter what. Not finding a job after school will not (in general) be an acceptable excuse for getting rid of your loans. With only 33 total graduates ever, it's unlikely you're going to get much input from students there. There is very little, if any, traffic on the ValueMD site, which should also be telling.

And, insulting others on this site is unacceptable, IMHO. It's an anonymous, free site where people post their opinions. If you don't like someone's attitude, you can block
them. If you think someone is

Ookay attacking you, you can report their post. As a completely outside observer, it's your posts on this thread that are the most concerning.

Okay program director ,
I appreciate the time you have taken to advice me .
Let me start by talking about the insult thing, then I will go and talk about the most important stuff.
1. Skip who ever he is , has started the insult first , I am here to hear advice , ask questions , ect.. Like any normal forum discussion. He on the other hand has no business telling me I am trolling , nor pass judgment , nor racially profile me by comparing me to his east European girl friend ( who was narrow minded ) so since I am too according to him I am from east Europe . This behavior IMHO is not professional and not ethical , so if you gonna start hammering some body here why don't you start with him ???
The fact that he gives advices to people doesn't mean that those people HAS to follow every thing he says or else they are doomed . He is human being and his opinions can be right or wrong .
2. My post was not asking shall I go to Caribbean school or not , it was about what if I graduate caribbean school and have those credentials probability of matching into primary care. Then it was about destiny school.
Now the real talk here ,
1. Going into Nycom DO school means
That I will have fresh graduation year , be American graduate , have 2 years habds on us clinical experience , chance of show casing my self in from of PD and getting excellent LORs not to mention research opportunity

Last edited:
And so on , so even if don't redo my step scores that is fine , I don't think and American graduate with 202/231/220 all first attempt will have difficulty matching into primary care at all . But to my knowledge once in American medical school you have to retake ur steps again . Coz now you have fresh account with NRMP and fresh ID number , no more ECFMG and ID. The exam is same but the process is diffident and most of the people go to that school are ECFMG certified and the program was established basically to help them .
2. Step 3 rule is that even after taking step 1 and 2 past 7 years . You can't retake then again ( they can't expire ) and has nothing to do with the above situation. My usmle exam will be reported to ears by nrmp not ecfmg .

Last edited:
4. Graduated now adays ( IMG) are paying thousands of dollars for having USCE but those are mostly getting observership , paid externship ( which I think it's illegal) some lucky student get clerkship while still in medical school , but again hard to get and expensive . Going to any Caribbean school can give me a real hands on USCE in hospital with residency programs , so student if he is good and hard working , have a chance to impress X or Y program director and might as well take him or at least write him a good letter that might help his case .

Last edited:
I am going to tell you the same , insulting people on this site and any site is unacceptable and it's shocking knowing that it comes from doctors ! Now having said that , I don't see you say any thing to the person who had used the S word????
Trying to tell the truth and being honest should be accompanied by being fair too , don't you think ?
I am also really curious , what does a program direct do on Caribbean forums ? I thought may be you would be giving advice to match forums , medical student forums or even resident forums . I don't get that

Now the Caribbean thing it's not going to be full 4 years . It's going to be like transfer students from another medical school , I will have to do only 1-1.5 years ( which is only the clinical part ) and yes I can't retake my steps , and yes I am us citizen ( to be soon ) . So the diploma will be new , the transcript . All of that , I called ECFMG and eras , both says I can have 2 medical diplomas , technically for them it's fine.
Now wether the school is good or not it's irrelevant here ( I don't need learning ) I am already practicing physician. The reason why so many medical student fail in Caribbean because simply those are rich kids who thought money can buy them MD degree , why else they will go to Ross , Saba , ect.. Coz thy didn't have good GPA , they didn't do well on MCAT . So why they would perform better in usmle ? Does being in Ross suddenly increases IQ? I am not saying all Caribbean grad are like that , each has his own circumstances . I think if was born n raised In America I think I will not find it that hard to get into us medical school.

See, here's the scoop. I'm trying to be helpful. And much of your above rant is insulting and demeaning, both to me and to others on this board. Honestly I hope you have limited insight into how your posts come across, because the alternative is that you're purposefully being mean and arrogant.

Why am I here on the Carib forum? Perhaps it's to help answer questions that carib students (or students to be) have about matching to residency programs. And yes, I post on all of those other boards also. What do I get for all this? So far, a grand total of: 1 free coffee mug.

If you think the carib is full of rich kids, that's crazy. It's full of US (and canadian) students who, for one reason or another, just didn't have the GPA/MCAT/Application to get into a US school, and are looking for a "chance". And many of them do really well on the USMLE despite this. Some fail out. That's life.

So, you say that if you were here in the US you wouldn't find it hard to get into medical school? Perhaps you can explain why you didn't do well on the USMLE, and now can't get a residency. Because I review lots and lots of IMG applications every year -- and some are absolutely stellar. Yours is not (per your description). If you were really as good as any other US medical student, your performance on the USMLE should reflect that.

If I sound angry, its because I am. Your posts are petulant, frustrating, and infuriating. Even with that, I'm going to leave you with several bits of helpful information, so please pay attention:

1. Going to the NYCOM program would be a fantastic option. You will become a US grad. That will open many, many doors. You will take "the steps" again -- because as a NYCOM student you will (probably) need to take the COMLEX exams. So you would get a chance to improve your scores. It's very competitive. If you can get in, it's a huge step forward.

2. Insulting people who try to help you will not forward your career.

3. You seem to be quite upset at Skip. This website has a handy function called "Ignore User". All you need to do is click on his name next to any of his posts, and you will see an "Ignore" link option. Just click it and you will no longer see any of his posts, PM's, etc. It's really great. I just ignored you, so I will no longer be bothered. Try it sometime.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry dear PD , that is in case you really are one ( seriously doubt it )
I HAVE no time to read your long comments . Unlike you I live in a real world and I have more important things to do.
Please go find some one else to bother , you are not helping .

Have been following this hilarious posting train. Can not agree more with Skip and aProg. statements. I think dr. match"never"- just keeps it going for some unknown "getting her rocks off" reason. We can only wish her good luck in her future endeavors and close this stream of now non useful gibberish on SDN. Regards Dr B (34 years in practice) and my son who did it as US/IMG to licensed in 3 states to practice medicine.

Have been following this hilarious posting train. Can not agree more with Skip and aProg. statements. I think dr. match"never"- just keeps it going for some unknown "getting her rocks off" reason. We can only wish her good luck in her future endeavors and close this stream of now non useful gibberish on SDN. Regards Dr B (34 years in practice) and my son who did it as US/IMG to licensed in 3 states to practice medicine.
I don't know the reason of you post ? Was it to insult me or wish me luck ? If both ... Then I think you might be borderline .

PLEASE, moderator close this thread. Totally useless to offer anything if the person does not care to hear what all are saying.

Reactions: 1 user
Dr match, I went to destiny and can answer your questions. What did you want to know?

Dr match, I went to destiny and can answer your questions. What did you want to know?
Amazing , thank you so much Jamie , I would like to know about the clinical rotations . Were you place at a hospital with residency program ? Were given a fair chance to see patient and learn like any American school student ?
What do you think over all about the school?
How did you get your financing ?
I really appreciate your help .
Thank you so much

Sorry dear PD , that is in case you really are one ( seriously doubt it )
I HAVE no time to read your long comments . Unlike you I live in a real world and I have more important things to do.
Please go find some one else to bother , you are not helping .

If you had made time to read AProgDirector's "long comments", you would see that he just gave you some valuable advice. We've been giving you advice, and instead of considering it, you respond in a very childish fashion. Sorry if you don't like the tone of our posts, but that's because we're incredibly frustrated with you. We're beating our heads against the wall giving you advice, and instead of considering it, you're behaving like a spoiled teenage girl who isn't getting what she wants. Anyway, you want to waste your time and money with Destiny, no skin off our backs. Just be aware that even after graduating, you could very well end up not matching, and with your medical career dead before it even begins.

And by the way, did you even read that link I posted about Destiny? The facts that I posted about the school are not good things, in case you didn't notice. The fact that the school doesn't even require a bachelor's degree or MCAT for admission speaks volumes about the caliber of students who are admitted to Destiny. Also, only 33 students have graduated since 2007, and only 4 of them have managed to find residency spots. Yeah, sounds like a pretty solid track record to me.

If you had made time to read AProgDirector's "long comments", you would see that he just gave you some valuable advice. And his tone was probably far more patient than that of the rest of us. He's been posting on these forums for a long time, and always provides excellent advice. We've been giving you advice, and instead of considering it, you respond in a very childish fashion. Sorry if you don't like the tone of our posts, but that's because we're incredibly frustrated with you. We're beating our heads against the wall giving you advice, and instead of considering it, you're behaving like a spoiled teenage girl who isn't getting what she wants. Anyway, you want to waste your time and money with Destiny, no skin off our backs. Just be aware that even after graduating, you could very well end up not matching, and with your medical career dead before it even begins.

And by the way, did you even read that link I posted about Destiny? The facts that I posted about the school are not good things, in case you didn't notice. The fact that the school doesn't even require a bachelor's degree or MCAT for admission speaks volumes about the caliber of students who are admitted to Destiny. Also, only 33 students have graduated since 2007, and only 4 of them have managed to find residency spots. Yeah, sounds like a pretty solid track record to me.

I am frustrated and furious by you and the others comment . I am here seeking help and advice not trashy and immature behavior .
Your program director thought going to American medical school will not let do my steps again , he first advices me about it , then he goes and say it's no good ( you can't retake the steps) then he say it's good and you can take them. Then he talks about step 3 with wrong info . That tells me your PD doesn't know what he is talking about.
IF YOU have red what he had to say , you would have came to same conclusion .
If you don't have some thing to beneficial to say . I advice you to go do some thing better with your time .

I red what every body had posted about destiny and it did stop me from preceding with the process . Still waiting Jaime response thou

In my opinion according to the school own website info ,?it should have been closed long time ago. But the story might be a bit different for me . Still thinking , nothing has been done yet!

I am frustrated and furious by you and the others comment . I am here seeking help and advice not trashy and immature behavior .
Your program director thought going to American medical school will not let do my steps again , he first advices me about it , then he goes and say it's no good ( you can't retake the steps) then he say it's good and you can take them. Then he talks about step 3 with wrong info . That tells me your PD doesn't know what he is talking about.
IF YOU have red what he had to say , you would have came to same conclusion .
If you don't have some thing to beneficial to say . I advice you to go do some thing better with your time .

PD did tell you right. The program he was talking about will allow you to re-enter medical school via a DO program. This will allow you to take the COMLEX( the DO version of the USMLE) but your USMLE is locked into stone since you completed the sequence.

No I am not . I have double checked . Called the people in concern . Locked means the 7 year expiration rule is gone after step 3. Mine is different situation.i can take usmle and complex ( like the PD said )
Can't believe I am still just giving explanations !!!!!!!!

..... You cant take the COMLEX unless a school approves that you have finished 2 years at a DO school. No DO schools accept transfer IMGs at equal standing, so you would need to enroll as an M1 and start from scratch. Before you jump on this post....this is not me passing judgement or insulting you or however else you may misinterpret it. Its a fact. You can not take the COMLEX without 2 years at a DO school.

OMG...I know that ! The EPP at nycom that I am talking about( only ) states that .

Amazing , thank you so much Jamie , I would like to know about the clinical rotations . Were you place at a hospital with residency program ? Were given a fair chance to see patient and learn like any American school student ?
What do you think over all about the school?
How did you get your financing ?
I really appreciate your help .
Thank you so much

Hi dr match:

I was placed in hospitals around the country, but mostly in New York. Setting up the rotations was very difficult and the school didn't help much. However, once at the hospital the rotations seemed to be the same as other students (Carib and some md/do) that rotated through the hospitals. Electives were similarly very difficult to set up- most hD never heard of Destiny sadly.

Overall, the school was good for a Caribbean school I think. I have not attended another school and cannot directly compare but I was given a chance to match as an MD. If you can get into a LCME accredited MD school, I'd pick that over Destiny.

Finances were not really an issue. If you are a US citizen, you can take out private loans fairly easily from banks.

Hi dr match:

I was placed in hospitals around the country, but mostly in New York. Setting up the rotations was very difficult and the school didn't help much. However, once at the hospital the rotations seemed to be the same as other students (Carib and some md/do) that rotated through the hospitals. Electives were similarly very difficult to set up- most hD never heard of Destiny sadly.

Overall, the school was good for a Caribbean school I think. I have not attended another school and cannot directly compare but I was given a chance to match as an MD. If you can get into a LCME accredited MD school, I'd pick that over Destiny.

Finances were not really an issue. If you are a US citizen, you can take out private loans fairly easily from banks.

So did you match and why destiny with more established schools around? I'm curious

Hi dr match:

Thank you so much . I was waiting so long for such response and I finally got it .
I appreciate your help and wish you luck with your future carrier .

It really comforts me knowing that Dr Match will never be a doctor.

I have been enjoying this thread. You guys/gals should continue duking it out.

??????????????
You are so weird seriously . I think you need a therapist are you on drugs ?

Yeah, at least I made better decisions when it came to my medical career, and therefore succeeded.

Yeah, at least I made better decisions when it came to my medical career, and therefore succeeded.
May be professionally you did . But as a person you still need to grow up kido

Last edited:
Yeah I matched in IM. I chose Destiny because I was poorly informed at the time :-/
Thank you for all the valuable info . Can you please share your step scores ? I just need to see my chances .
Congratulations on the match .

Stay tuned for this thread up dates when I match .
Then I will be laughing at you loser

Your attitude is a pretty tell tale sign that the only thing you will be matching is ticket orders at a fast food joint.

Good luck though. I honestly wish you the best, and I will very happily admit that I was wrong if you do match.

Your attitude is a pretty tell tale sign that the only thing you will be matching is ticket orders at a fast food joint.

Good luck though. I honestly wish you the best, and I will very happily admit that I was wrong if you do match.
I am surprised you are still following this thread ?! !!!!!!!And making nasty comments about person you know nothing about . Don't you have some thing better to do with your life, I wasn't going to respond to your stupidity until I red the good luck talk and I was like .. WHAT ?!!!!!
You and your gun friend really know how to use street and gangster language . I seriously doubt that any of you is in any kind of successful job not to mention health care ! Shocking behavior and attitude. Shocking !!!

I was being sincere.... It sounds like you have a couple different plans that you are weighing, and I really hope you make whatever decision is best for you.

I'm so disappointed I've reached the end of this thread. It has been wildly entertaining. DrMatch, I think the best thing you can do to increase your chance of matching is get a full psych evaluation. You've just displayed some serious personality flaws that will be hard to hide at interview and a profound lack of insight into their existence. I can't believe how rude you have been to people who are trying to help you.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm so disappointed I've reached the end of this thread. It has been wildly entertaining. DrMatch, I think the best thing you can do to increase your chance of matching is get a full psych evaluation. You've just displayed some serious personality flaws that will be hard to hide at interview and a profound lack of insight into their existence. I can't believe how rude you have been to people who are trying to help you.
And what you know another bag of stupidity thrown on my way.
You know what ... I believe strongly that you need a psych evaluation for taking all that time to read this forever long thread and at the end be sad that it came to an end , so u stated your trashy wards to me to restart this thing again. You are so sick beyond description. So I am gonna go a head and block you ( among all the ppl above ) you are the first one I am blocking . Coz you came out of no where , read the whole damn thing just to be sad the fights are over !!!!!!!! Wohooooo
You re define the word CRAZY

Last edited:

Imagine her dealing with difficult patients and families!