developmental class problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w0rldw3y3d

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I'm a new member to the forum. I have used the search function for this topic, but I suppose I'm neurotic and want to ask a question regarding my personal situation. So, recently I was doing some research into how AMCAS calculates the BCPM gpa and I have a concern. I started at a community college when I was 16, and frankly I didn't give a **** about college let alone know I wanted to become a physician at that time. My first few semesters in college I had to take remedial math classes; one was a C, one was a B, and the last was an A. Well, apparently AMCAS takes into account EVERY class a student has ever taken no matter if it is a developmental class and is not a transferrable credit unless I read that incorrectly. My GPA when I left that CC was a 3.69 and my current university GPA after my first semester is a 3.71. The majority of my other math/science courses are A's with the exception of a B in college algebra, a B+ in O-chem I, and a B+ in integral calculus. I still have a couple of years of hard work to put in my undergrad degree before I am done. I'm just wondering how big of a problem those remedial classes are going to pose in the future.

-Thank you

If this is the only C on your entire transcript, don't let it deter you in any way. Small slip-ups like this are allowable. It may be a good thing to address in your personal statement, and even if you don't do it there, I will warn you that other people I know with less than stellar grades who received interviews consistently say they were asked to explain what happened. So, just have a good explanation as to what was going on in your life and what has changed since then to prove you're serious about becoming a good med school student and physician. It sounds like you're well on your way to a great GPA, especially that science GPA (do NOT underestimate the importance of that science GPA).

Members don't see this ad :)
I really appreciate your response man. Yeah O-chem I is the only actual science class I don't have an A in so far. Honestly, it is the pure math that has always given me a tough time, but I really enjoy the problem solving skills that it sharpens so I have continued to challenge myself and take even more math then what is required for my degree. I suppose if I needed to explain why in the world I performed poorly in remedial classes I could emphasize the fact that I ended up taking seven math classes after remediating and significantly improved my previously poor quantitative reasoning skills.

I think that as long as you keep moving in your current direction, and do well on the MCAT, you're not going to have any issues.