WAMC reinvented applicant- personal problems in past

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi_I'mPaul

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad:
cGPA = 3.62
sGPA = 3.55
MCATs: 507 + 507

Grad:
sGPA = 4.0 (32 hours)
MCAT: 515 (130,126,130,129)

Extracurriculars:
Undergrad TA in Business Law: 130 hours
Tutor in Mathematics in underserved schools (continued in grad school): 250 hours
Researcher: 600 hours
Hospital Volunteer: 70 hours
Shadowing: 215 hours
Work (nonmedical): 400 hours
Intramurals: 150 hours

Achievements:
ETS Major Field Tests in Business: 94th Percentile
Graduate Certificate in Health Sciences
Student Ambassador for my graduate program

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
MD schools? Oh yes. More later
Good to know, just worried because I applied last cycle MD and got NO IIs (didn't have my grad GPA/MCAT though on AMCAS -- Got new MCAT score June 2018). Also, I see everyone on here devote so much time to their ECs and mine seem mediocre time-wise in comparison (I absolutely love the tutoring in math that I do, so mine are quality). Just not sure where I stand from a faculty standpoint since I am sure a lot of applicants have substantially more ECs than me, but I am also sure some people have a lot less... Any advice/criticism/compliment would be very much appreciated. Thanks for all you do on here, Goro. Not sure you always get the proper praise you deserve for consistently helping us out!

Reactions: 1 user
Patient contact experience is too low. My own student interviewers would eat you alive.
I understand and agree, I'll be trying to work on that during this app cycle (couldn't balance it this year will fulltime grad program, MCAT, and community service). Do you think that's a deal breaker tho?

I understand and agree, I'll be trying to work on that during this app cycle (couldn't balance it this year will fulltime grad program, MCAT, and community service). Do you think that's a deal breaker tho?
As of right now, yes. You'd get rejected at my school . You need to show that you understand what you're getting into, and that you really want to be around sick people for the next 30 to 40 years.

As of right now, yes. You'd get rejected at my school . You need to show that you understand what you're getting into, and that you really want to be around sick people for the next 30 to 40 years.
Well, that is surely disappointing to hear but I dug my own grave and now have to play catchup! Thanks for the input.

Well, that is surely disappointing to hear but I dug my own grave and now have to play catchup! Thanks for the input.
Marathon now, not sprint. You apply when you ave the best possible app, even if it means skipping an cycle.

BTW, the DO cycle is longer. If you can get another 75 hrs of patient exposure (NOT shadowing) before T-giving, then you're good to go for my school.

Marathon now, not sprint. You apply when you ave the best possible app, even if it means skipping an cycle.

BTW, the DO cycle is longer. If you can get another 75 hrs of patient exposure (NOT shadowing) before T-giving, then you're good to go for my school.

I already submitted my applications, and I believe that I am going to send updates/write in my secondaries once I get my volunteer position at my local hospital after my graduate program ends in about 3 weeks. I should be able to get a fair amount of hours in b4 Thanksgiving!

I already submitted my applications, and I believe that I am going to send updates/write in my secondaries once I get my volunteer position at my local hospital after my graduate program ends in about 3 weeks. I should be able to get a fair amount of hours in b4 Thanksgiving!
Sounds good.

Is 300 hours of patient contact really considered low now? Or does shadowing not count for that?

Is 300 hours of patient contact really considered low now? Or does shadowing not count for that?
Shadowing is a separate category for which 40 to 50 hours is plenty (primary care is especially useful).

Shadowing is a separate category for which 40 to 50 hours is plenty (primary care is especially useful).
At least I'm all good in the primary care shadowing lol. Could you give your opinion/impression of my overall application? would be much appreciated

Yeah, shout out to the college advisor that told me Shadowing and Volunteering were lumped into the same category. smh. Drug addiction also helped me to eliminate as many self-imposed "non-essential extracurriculars" tho, so shame on me in the end.

@Faha would you like to chime in with your opinions/impressions on my app? appreciate it.

For MD schools your best chances are your 8 Florida schools (including NOVA MD) . You could also receive interviews at these OOS schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
You are fine for most DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive interviews.