Did I just ruin my chances at medical school with a bad SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fifimoss

Reaction score
So I don't know anyone that's been in my situation before and honestly I'm having so much anxiety I feel like I'm dying as dramatic as that seems. I am currently enrolled in the Columbia SMP program and my first semester was not good at all. I'm pulling low B's and C's. My undergraduate GPA was a 3.74 and my science GPA was a 3.6. I know I shouldn't have done the SMP I just got absolutely terrible advice from everyone around me and my SMP advisor convinced me not to withdraw so now it's too late. I am retaking my MCAT after bombing it the first time and hope that I can score at least a 510 on that but I know I just destroyed my chances at medical school, is there anything I can do now? is there a way to still get in? I'm losing sleep and honestly faith in myself at this point I'm just so anxious all I can think about is the fact that I ruined my future. Does anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

This was your chance to show that you can handle medical school, and I can't sugarcoat this: if you're doing this poorly now it's not going to look good at all for medical school no matter what your MCAT score is.

You should be acing this material, not getting B's and C's

Your one chance of redemption is if you can Ace your finals, and then Ace the spring semester. Can you do that? If you have doubts, then it's time to go to plan B

I suspect your advisor doesn't want you to leave the program because they want your tuition for another semester.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
This was your chance to show that you can handle medical school, and I can't sugarcoat this but if you're doing this poorly now it's not going to look good at all for medical school no matter what your MCAT score is.

you should be acing this material not getting B's and C's

Your one chance of redemption is if you can Ace your finals, and then Ace the spring semester. Can you do that? If you have doubts then it's time to go to plan B

I suspect your advisor doesn't want you to leave the program because they want your tuition for another semester.
I think I can do better in the spring, this semester was just terrible as I got sick and was displaced and had to move home. Thank you for your advice

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can pull Bs this semester and As next semester, it's salvageable.

If you continue to tank this semester and pull a bunch of Cs, I think you're sunk barring a very high MCAT with a squeaky clean Spring semester.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish I had better advice man. I think all you can do is plow on ahead and give it your all.

Enrolling in it was a bad idea. Your application is "solid" for an MD and it doesn't net you anything because your GPA is good. The MCAT was your problem.

I really don't know how SMP is going to factor into it, but that GPA leaves you in pretty good shape for any DO school. And while it might be disappointing to hear with a 3.7 GPA that might be your best shot.

Reactions: 1 user