Did I ruin my chances for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badatbiochem24

Reaction score
I am a reapplicant. I have a 3.5 GPA and last year I received a 503 on the MCAT. Despite this I was able to get 2 MD Interviews. I studied to retake the MCAT and reworked my application this year. I was averaging a 510 on my FLs and was scheduled to take it 6/29 (which is later than I would have liked, but due to personal reasons I ended up having it to take it on that date). I ended up voiding and spent 6 days completely out of it. I rescheduled for 7/15, but the void has really crushed my confidence. I don't know if I should push to 7/29 or just give up for this cycle. Any input would help. I feel extremely lost and frustrated right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a reapplicant. I have a 3.5 GPA and last year I received a 503 on the MCAT. Despite this I was able to get 2 MD Interviews. I studied to retake the MCAT and reworked my application this year. I was averaging a 510 on my FLs and was scheduled to take it 6/29 (which is later than I would have liked, but due to personal reasons I ended up having it to take it on that date). I ended up voiding and spent 6 days completely out of it. I rescheduled for 7/15, but the void has really crushed my confidence. I don't know if I should push to 7/29 or just give up for this cycle. Any input would help. I feel extremely lost and frustrated right now.
Not sure why you are panicking so much about the MCAT this time?
A voided test won't affect you negatively.
If you can't get past the feeling of panic before your next test date then cancel it.
Re-apply with your current score and an improved primary application, including some things you had forgotten to mention last time according to your past posts and advice.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure why you are panicking so much about the MCAT this time?
A voided test won't affect you negatively.
If you can't get past the feeling of panic before your next test date then cancel it.
Re-apply with your current score and an improved primary application, including some things you had forgotten to mention last time according to your past posts and advice.
Thank you for the response. I think it just really hurt my confidence. I spent 6 months preparing, my practice exams were looking good, and then suddenly on the actual exam I have 5 min left in CP and 20 unfinished questions. I tried to review for the last two days but I end up panicking. I need to calm down but I am not sure if I will be able to in time for the 7/15 exam. 7/29 is very late in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
When do you think that you'd be 100% ready to take the exam?
I think if I could take a few days to mentally reset, I could be ready by 7/29. My MD application will have been submitted and then I would start pre-writing secondaries immediately after the MCAT to submit as soon as received. The information is in my brain and I feel like I can actually score a 510+, but I am mentally a bit of a mess right now. The issue is the results would come in at the end of August and I feel like that is very late.

I think if I could take a few days to mentally reset, I could be ready by 7/29. My MD application will have been submitted and then I would start pre-writing secondaries immediately after the MCAT to submit as soon as received. The information is in my brain and I feel like I can actually score a 510+, but I am mentally a bit of a mess right now. The issue is the results would come in at the end of August and I feel like that is very late.
Not too late for your state schools, but in you're not on the right mind state, best to not retake

Reactions: 1 users
First, if you had 20 questions left with time running out, you did the right thing to void your score.

Regroup and reassess. Why did you not have these issues in your practices for the last few weeks before the real test? Did you put yourself in realistic testing situations? If you are consistently scoring 520+ (I know what you wrote), you probably would be good to go with a July test. If you are not putting significantly high scores on your FL's compared to your original score (so shoot for 513+ or 515+), you may want to delay your attempt and try for what you have now. The fact you had two interviews means someone found the rest of your application interesting enough to interview.

Keep on building those community service/service orientation hours like we advised you last year.

Reactions: 3 users
First, if you had 20 questions left with time running out, you did the right thing to void your score.

Regroup and reassess. Why did you not have these issues in your practices for the last few weeks before the real test? Did you put yourself in realistic testing situations? If you are consistently scoring 520+ (I know what you wrote), you probably would be good to go with a July test. If you are not putting significantly high scores on your FL's compared to your original score (so shoot for 513+ or 515+), you may want to delay your attempt and try for what you have now. The fact you had two interviews means someone found the rest of your application interesting enough to interview.

Keep on building those community service/service orientation hours like we advised you last year.
Thank you guys so much. Its been a really rough few weeks and so hearing this from people in the field means a lot. I will follow your instructions and move forward.

OP, though I understand your anxiety, I think you should take comfort in @Goro statement. Granted, I applied for medical school 9 years ago (I feel so old writing that,) but if Goro says your stats are good enough for DO school, I say go for it if you like the mission statement/curriculum of the school. Practice scores are one thing, but what if you have a bad day? Not trying to be a jerk, I am just saying, you already have a 503, which is above the 50th percentile, right?

Reactions: 1 user