Difference between MD and DOs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aarryda1234

Reaction score
I am unsure of how oestopathy differs from allopathy? What makes them so different? How does a DO degree differ from an MD degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• 6B5496E1-37EF-4512-A41B-5514327B3940.jpeg
    6B5496E1-37EF-4512-A41B-5514327B3940.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: 5 users
MDs are doctors, DOs are holistic bone wizards.

Reactions: 21 users
From what I think has been said around this site the major difference is that the clinical rotations for DO are not as well structured compared to those MD students do.

From what Goro has previously said on here:

These are all the fields that are DO friendly:
Emergency Medicine
Child Neurology
Transitional Year
Internal Medicine
Neurology
Internal Medicine/Pediatrics
Psychiatry
Anesthesiology
Pathology
Pediatrics
Family Medicine
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

A little more work, but still doable:
Radiology-Diagnostic
Obstetrics and Gynecology

Possible, but will require a lot more work:
Radiation Oncology
Surgery
Thoracic Surgery

Difficult to really difficult for DOs:
Vascular Surgery
Orthopaedic Surgery
Neurological Surgery
Otolaryngology
Plastic Surgery
Dermatology

Source: Program Director's survey.

Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

Reactions: 5 users
To sum it up - DO school is a backup if you absolutely cannot get into a US MD school.

Reactions: 1 users
I am unsure of how oestopathy differs from allopathy? What makes them so different? How does a DO degree differ from an MD degree?

“DO’s have the same training, with a little bit of physical therapy added on. “

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I think has been said around this site the major difference is that the clinical rotations for DO are not as well structured compared to those MD students do.

Emergency Medicine
Child Neurology
Transitional Year
Internal Medicine
Neurology
Psychiatry
Anesthesiology
Pathology
Pediatrics
Family Medicine

Radiology-Diagnostic

Radiation Oncology
Surgery
Thoracic Surgery

Vascular Surgery
Orthopaedic Surgery
Neurological Surgery
Otolaryngology
Plastic Surgery
Dermatology

Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

Id probably put Rad Onc in the extremely difficult section

Has anyone mentioned recently that “allopathic” is a bull**** derogatory term created by homeopaths?

Look into the origin of the word. It’s crazy and really should not be used as freely as it is here.

Has anyone mentioned recently that “allopathic” is a bull**** derogatory term created by homeopaths?

Look into the origin of the word. It’s crazy and really should not be used as freely as it is here.

Didn't know that... What does it even mean? Basically, "not homeopathy"??

Didn't know that... What does it even mean? Basically, "not homeopathy"??

You have to look into the origin of the term “homeopathy” as well.

Basically, homeopaths believe that you need to treat a disease with dilute quantities of something that causes the same (ie “homeo”) symptoms. So if toad venom causes headaches, you can use it to treat headaches in dilute quantities*.

If you use something that causes “other” symptoms (“allo”), eg liver failure with Tylenol, you’re practicing “allopathy”.

The entire concept is bonkers, bull****, and completely created by the homeopaths. It should not be used to refer to real medical schools.

*I have no idea what the side effects of toad venom, for further clarification, ask poison control or a homeopath/witch.

Last edited by a moderator:

why don't you take it up with nrmp?
if the official medical match system is using it, it seems reasonable to accept that it is a legitimate term recognized by program directors

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Seniors.pdf

why don't you take it up with nrmp?
if the official medical match system is using it, it seems reasonable to accept that it is a legitimate term recognized by program directors

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Seniors.pdf

Oh, I agree it’s a commonly used term.

That doesn’t mean it’s legitimate.

As for the NRMP, yeah, they shouldn’t use it, but I’ll leave that for people who still need to match to deal with that.

I always felt the continued professional use of "allo" was sort of tongue in cheek.

After lecturing at a state conference, I learned that some MDs loathe the distinction of “allopathic.”

I didn’t know that previously, so FYI.

It is a touchy subject, but just know that DOs are equipped with a few extra “tools” in their toolbox and are supposed to be taught Osteoapathic Principles and Philsophy interwoven into the basic sciences.

In the near future, it is likely that MDs can pursue training and certification in these extra tools (OMT).

Emergency Medicine
Child Neurology
Transitional Year
Internal Medicine
Neurology
Psychiatry
Anesthesiology
Pathology
Pediatrics
Family Medicine

Radiology-Diagnostic

Radiation Oncology
Surgery
Thoracic Surgery

Vascular Surgery
Orthopaedic Surgery
Neurological Surgery
Otolaryngology
Plastic Surgery
Dermatology

Nice list... OB is competitive though?