DOs taking USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peanutbutterprincess

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know someone who matriculated at a DO school and took both the COMLEX & USMLE and was able to match into an allopathic residency? Just trying to get an idea of the extra work /studying that has to be put in to do this.

Members don't see this ad.

ALL residencies are "allopathic residencies now. ie, they're all controlled by ACGME.

I've had plenty of my DO grads get into historically ACGME programs, and good ones at that.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Plenty of people take both and match into their desired specialty/program. The time sitting for the additional exam(s) and cost are the biggest headache.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I pretty much just studied for Step and then crammed OMM the few days before COMLEX. Took the tests 5 days apart. Did well on both sets of exams.

I matched an academic surgery program for reference.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I pretty much just studied for Step and then crammed OMM the few days before COMLEX. Took the tests 5 days apart. Did well on both sets of exams.

I matched an academic surgery program for reference.
This is the way.

Did the same and matched academic radiology.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I would like to add a quick question.

I am a Canadian Citizen. I am enrolled in a DO Program in the USA.

I don't have time and money to take USMLE.

I will need J-1 Visa sponsored by ECFMG.

Will ECFMG sponsor my visa even if I don't have USMLE.

I believe I am considered an American Medical Graduate and may not have to be certified the same way as IMGs do.

I would like to add a quick question.

I am a Canadian Citizen. I am enrolled in a DO Program in the USA.

I don't have time and money to take USMLE.

I will need J-1 Visa sponsored by ECFMG.

Will ECFMG sponsor my visa even if I don't have USMLE.

I believe I am considered an American Medical Graduate and may not have to be certified the same way as IMGs do.
I am not an immigration lawyer, but my friend who was a canadian DO was required to take USMLE. You DO have time and money to take both. You need to consult with a respective lawyer, your school, your counselor, etc.

About 70% of my class took both and roughly 90% matched into ACGME on the last year it was separate. The other 10% was people going into ortho and stuff like that which was more attainable through AOA. Now all residencies are ACGME

Reactions: 1 user
I’m going to level with you:

I basically didn’t study any OMM at all for level 1, 2, or 3. Passed each by a wide margin despite my OMM performance being what looks like two standard deviations below the average.

I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

Reactions: 2 users