Difference between Ph.D in Counselor Ed and Clinical Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labmomto1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between a Ph. D in Counselor Education and a Ph.D in Clinical Psychology? I am a Master's student in Counselor Education. I want to be able to teach, do research, and run a private practice with varying health professions.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the difference between a Ph. D in Counselor Education and a Ph.D in Clinical Psychology? I am a Master's student in Counselor Education. I want to be able to teach, do research, and run a private practice with varying health professions.
A Ph.D. In clinical psychology allows you to become a licensed psychologist, conduct psychological assessments, and you will be able to teach, conduct research, and bill insurance as a doctoral level provider. It generally requires a minimum of 3-4 years of classes and a 1 year PREDOCTORAL internship, 40 hours a week. A Ph.D. In Counselor Education will allow you to teach (usually in counselor Ed programs), do research, and work as a masters level counselor. You are not eligible to become a psychologist with the Counselor Ed doctorate. You will not be able to bill as a doctoral level provider. You will probably take classes to supervise other masters level providers. The internship hours are not as many as the psychology PhD from what I have noticed.

Reactions: 1 user
Different license level (as MAClinician described), different accrediting body for the program (so requirements differ), and different focuses on skills (counseling psych will include more testing/assessment and research courses). Among other things. Read up about the accredation and requirements of the American Counseling Association versus the American Psychological Association to get a good idea of how the training is different