Guidance on Psy.D vs Ph.D and resume/CV for programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trissydersh61

Reaction score
Hi all!
So I’m currently between education and getting working experience as I’ve been struggling to figure out what I want to do with continuing education. I wanted to pass on where I’m at to see what may be the best move forward and how I also may strengthen my CV/resume for applying to programs. So I’ll give some background before I ask the questions.

I got my Bachelors in psychological science, and I did get some research experience but I would say it was pretty limited and was in social psychology. I was a part of the lab for 2 years but it was also during the middle of Covid. I also now know I want to do clinical/developmental. I did partake in writing a poster for presentation at the universities research conference, it doesn’t seem it was a published work and I wasn’t able to present that as my collaborator on the project did instead. I also didn’t get to do any internships undergrad. I did have a 3.9 GPA.
As of work experience, I worked at a crisis unit for 6 months before moving to working at a clinic being a psych technician under a Psy.D where we do psychological assessments. This March will be my 2 years in the field. I will also be trying to get certification for the national psychiatric technician.

I feel like i’m behind in research so the first question would be what can I do outside of being a student to get research experience? And where can I find/look in my state? I would love to just volunteer but I don’t know where to look. I don’t really want to have to do a Masters but I don’t feel i have a strong enough resume for application.

My second inquiry on the matter, is I’m unsure the best way to go between Psy.D and Ph.D. So I wanted to state my intentions and see what anyone would suggest. So first, I would like to be able to do psychological assessments, being involved in that currently, I really enjoy it. Second, I am more interested in documenting, researching, hypothesizing, and writing, then doing Therapy. I know I want to be in Clinical Psychology, but which would be best for allowing the ability to research, as well as licensing for being able to do testing?

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

From what you've said, I'd honestly just apply and see where you end up.
3.9 cGPA, 2 years of research (+1 poster because it counts even if you didn't present it in-person), 2 years of tech work. If you applied broadly to practitioner-scholar programs I think you'd more than likely get a few interviews. I applied with worse stats and got three interviews and an acceptance to a funded PsyD. Fit is the most important aspect of the graduate school application processes, in my opinion.

If you want to go somewhere like an Ivy or other scientist model programs then you probably should take some more time to research and get productivity. But if I were you I'd throw my hat in the ring and see where I end up.
Second, I am more interested in documenting, researching, hypothesizing, and writing, then doing Therapy.
Also, this definitely leans PhD. There are PsyDs who become researchers, but you'll be better served with a PhD.

Reactions: 1 user
Second everything said above as I went the more expensive PsyD route because I didn’t have the research experience and a few other issues as well. Your career goals are exactly what many psychologists are interested in and do so you’ll fit right in. 😁