Differences between the three main EM texts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this gets rehashed over and over but anyone care to comment on the main differences between the three texts? Better pictures in one, better coverage of the basic science and pathology, better for clinical management, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Buy whichever one your residency tests you on.

Learn from it. Base your practice on stuff that's perhaps a little more timely.

Was going to buy one to glance out now and then during 4th year when I want more in-depth reading on a disease. With all the shelf exams out of the way I figure I can tailor my reading a little bit more toward my own interests. I was leaning toward Harwood-Nuss since I figure it's the least likely to be provided by a residency...

Members don't see this ad :)
Rosen is a little longer than Tintinalli, two volumes instead of one larger volume. Tintinalli seems a little more to the point. Roberts and Hedges is the procedure bible.

So I skimmed through all three for a bit. The impression I got:

Hardwood-Nuss: shortest, purely clinical and straight to the important points
Rosen: longest, more comprehensive clinical information with some basic science background
Tintinalli: mostly hits the high points of both clinical information and basic science background

Does that sound about right?

Maybe I should go with Current Emergency Medicine Diagnosis and Treatment instead...

Do you have access to www.accessmedicine.com through your school? That gives you access to Tintinalli online.
Do you have access to www.mdconsult.com through your school? That gives you access to Rosen's - and also allows you to download a PDF of each chapter for reading on your tablet or laptop without the need for internet (top right button at the header of each chapter).
Unfortunately, no online Harwood and Nuss through the school as far as I can tell.

That said, I've been reading Rosen's because that's what the faculty/residents at my (upcoming) program use. I started by reading Emergency Medicine Secrets and First Aid for Emergency Medicine just to get a general background because it was easy at first to get lost in the detail of Rosen's or any of the other in-depth books.

I'm reading portions of Harwood-Nuss now. It is much better than Tintinalli's, but honestly, it's only better because I've already done a few years of residency.

I'm reading portions of Harwood-Nuss now. It is much better than Tintinalli's, but honestly, it's only better because I've already done a few years of residency.

Didn't like H-N during residency, felt like that the end of end chapter - 'call your consultant' was last line.

Reading the new Tint now - hard to do when you have a job and there's no such thing as reading group anymore, but I like it more.

Both have this uncanny ability to make me fall asleep within two pages, though.