Dilemma on Where to Apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jason110

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Here's another one of those "where should I apply threads" but with a twist. Here is my issue: I'm an undergrad applying for medical school. I have significant clinical research experience and at some point would like a career in academic medicine doing clinical research. As it looks, all the reseach-oriented universities have extremely high entrance requirements; I'm worried I won't have the stats.

Here are my stats:
3.64 GPA, Biomedical Engineering major at a top 10 research university.
30Q MCAT
OH resident

What schools should I apply to that you think might accept a student like me, given my interests?

I have a (too long) list of schools where I might apply. If you would like to see the list, PM me.

Do you think it is wise for me to mention my goal in my personal statement? I'm worried it my leave me out of many "primary-care-oriented" schools (which I might otherwise have had a chance).

Thoughts?

Jason

Members don't see this ad.

there is really no such thing as an allopathic 'primary care school'. They can't control what you match in. But seeing as how you're from Ohio, here is a good list for starters:

OSU
Case
Wright State
(the other ohio state schools...OCM?)
Cincinatti

I think you'll probably get into one of the ohio schools that give preferance...probably more than one of OSU, Cincy, WSU, and the other Ohio state school. You can scatter your applications around if you want to go to a top 15 allopathic school, but I don't think your chances are great.

Jason110 said:
Hey guys,

Here's another one of those "where should I apply threads" but with a twist. Here is my issue: I'm an undergrad applying for medical school. I have significant clinical research experience and at some point would like a career in academic medicine doing clinical research. As it looks, all the reseach-oriented universities have extremely high entrance requirements; I'm worried I won't have the stats.

Here are my stats:
3.64 GPA, Biomedical Engineering major at a top 10 research university.
30Q MCAT
OH resident

What schools should I apply to that you think might accept a student like me, given my interests?

I have a (too long) list of schools where I might apply. If you would like to see the list, PM me.

Do you think it is wise for me to mention my goal in my personal statement? I'm worried it my leave me out of many "primary-care-oriented" schools (which I might otherwise have had a chance).

Thoughts?

Jason

Find a school that will let you switch to the MDPHD program after your first year of school. Apply regular and switch after one year.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should have no problem going to a research oriented university for your residency and that's what will really count.

You could save money on your medical degree by going to Ohio state universities and then focus on academia after that. Having a lower debt load will make it easier to stay in academia.

Look at the University of Chicago as well. They pride themselves on being the teacher of teacher's, so they love people who want to go into academic medicine, and they tend to really look past the numbers to get an idea of the whole applicant. You might also want to look at Stanford, which seems to subscribe to this policy, though to a less extreme extent.

A 3.64 in biomed engineering is no easy feat. I would even apply to the more numbers intensive schools like Baylor, Duke, Yale, Vandy... the only one I'd give up on is WashU. With numbers that far below their averages, and their focus on numbers, only significant research with a Nobel laureate might save you.

Look at UMich and Northwestern and the Cleveland Clinic program at Case. Cleveland Clinic's stated goal is to train physicians who have a research bent, so that would be in line with you you are. I think you can apply to both University and College program at Case. And if you have your heart set on Harvard and Hopkins or any other school, apply there. The process is so random, you never know when you might get rejected at school A but get accepted at school B, despite the fact that B is considered harder to get into than A.

My best advice is to apply to a large number and wide range of schools - from top-tier schools with top 10 NIH funding and expansive clinical facilities to lesser known schools featuring something you find attractive.

Thanks guys.

Any other suggestions on where I should apply?

I think that you should definitely mention your goals in your PS because I think that most applicants are not interested in academic medicine. You should maybe look into schools whose curriculum is flexible and might give you a chance to do research while in medical school. For example Harvard's New Pathway curriculum gives you most of your afternoons free so you could defenitely get involved in research. NYUSoM has an honor's program where you do research during the summers. Between NYU and Harvard NYU would be easier to get into but again with a goal like yours I think you will stand out a bit in a crowd of applicants with quite similar goals (no offense to those who are not interested in academic medicine, I know private practices are a cool way to go too.)

Jason110 said:
Thanks guys.

Any other suggestions on where I should apply?

Definitely take a look at Pitt. It is pretty amazing, research oriented, and very close to Ohio.