DiPiro vs. Koda-Kimble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which book do you use?

• Total voters

Praziquantel86

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which book does your school require? We're supposed to get DiPiro, but I've found that Koda-Kimble is much more helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I bought and read both in school. DiPiro for the theory, and then KK for the sample cases/applications.

Posted via Mobile BlackBerry Device

What a go-getter!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so proud of our dean :thumbup:

They are both pretty useless in the digital age.

I'd go with Dipiro because it explains the pathophysiology much better and at least you have a better conceptual idea of what going on...because the second it goes to print, it's obsolete...science keeps evolving...

My Pharmacotherapy class requires us to have Diprio's book, but trust me, I never read it...and I just found out the book is actually available through AccessPharmacy, so what a waste of almost 200 bucks :( In this internet age, you don't need an actual printed textbook anymore.

my school is ridiculous; for third year therapeutics, Koda Kimble was required. Then for fourth year therapeutics, DiPiro was the required text instead. Money grab anyone??

I like the didactic style text of DiPiro. Koda Kimble is kind of neat for case study, but I found it takes too long to get to the information you actually want/need.

Although I agree with WVU, I mostly just use the internets and e-resources for my purposes.

My Pharmacotherapy class requires us to have Diprio's book, but trust me, I never read it...and I just found out the book is actually available through AccessPharmacy, so what a waste of almost 200 bucks :( In this internet age, you don't need an actual printed textbook anymore.

Yeah, too bad that the dean sent out the book list and then a week later sent out an e-mail saying certain books were available on AccessPharmacy and we didn't have to order them. Of course, I had ordered my books the same day I got the book list.

Problem with the e-books is that, what if you don't have internet access and you need to study.

Just wondering, the individual subscription to accesspharmacy is $595. Is there a less expensive subscription?

We use the Dipiro, and I find it very readable (yes, I know *gag*). I have never heard of the Koda-Kimble.

I've found the question "Okay, so what do I do in this situation?" is answered much more clearly in Koda-Kimble. DiPiro is definitely better for pathophys and whatnot, but I would use other references for that.

If I was looking for a what to do, I'd probably be more apt to go to current guidelines. I like Dipiro for its shear amount of info. If I need to know about something, it's there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never even heard of AccessPharmacy. So basically you can access all those books online for $600? That's a lot of cash though. Whoa.

I like DiPiro and use it still as a reference, but I have nothing to compare it to. Frankly, I love Up to Date more than anything :love:

Is that $600 for a year or forever?

We use DiPiro's. Some of my profs are authors of chapters in it. I still refuse to read the chapters though. :smuggrin:

DiPiro's handbook is nice and much more succinct though. I've never heard of Koda Kimble either.

Dr. Mary Ann Koda Kimble is the dean at UCSF and an expert in diabetes. She's considered the orginator of clinical pharmacy. I could go on, but I don't want to bore anyone with the details.

Dr. Mary Ann Koda Kimble is the dean at UCSF and an expert in diabetes. She's considered the orginator of clinical pharmacy. I could go on, but I don't want to bore anyone with the details.

And she wrote a wonderful editorial about how the ACPE is a crock. I want to meet her just for that.

We use the Dipiro, and I find it very readable

:eek:

I think half of Dipiro is just studies backing up the guidelines. I'm sure they're fascinating, but I'm on a timetable. (Which is why I'm posting here, of course...)

And she wrote a wonderful editorial about how the ACPE is a crock. I want to meet her just for that.

She is a very cool Pharmacist!! She does not hold back about the changes that still need to happen in Pharmacy. If you ever get a chance to meet with her it is worth it. She is very dynamic and down to earth and she insists on being called Mary Ann and not Dean.

I have the Dipiro handbook, I would say it is pretty good. Koda-Kimball is case based and the book is massive.

I was looking on line to try and find a book that would be good reference to go back to as a refresher as I keep forgetting alot of the stuff we just learned about 2-3 weeks after the test.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of either of these two books:

Evidence based pharmacology: by L. Michael Posey

and another book by same author:

Pharmacotherapy in Primary Care

Found both on amazon with really no reviews, wondering if any of you had come across either of the two books.

Thanks,

Michael

She is a very cool Pharmacist!! She does not hold back about the changes that still need to happen in Pharmacy. If you ever get a chance to meet with her it is worth it. She is very dynamic and down to earth and she insists on being called Mary Ann and not Dean.

Of course she doesn't want to be called Dean. Dean is a guy's name. :smuggrin:

They are both pretty useless in the digital age.

I'd go with Dipiro because it explains the pathophysiology much better and at least you have a better conceptual idea of what going on...because the second it goes to print, it's obsolete...science keeps evolving...

You guys prefer to read 100s of pages on your computer? How uncomfortable that can be!! :eek: Let alone the ease of annotations, notes, comments, etc...on paper.

I'm all for technology, but when it comes down to studying and reading 100s of pages, I prefer paper.

Does anyone kno where I can get the online version of Koda Kimble or DiPiro?
Thanks! :)