Disappointed with Ohio State's pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DisappointedOSU

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have toured Ohio States' pharmacy facilities, have any of you been a little disappointed? It felt like everything was in a basement, there were no windows, they had barely any open study space, etc. This just isn't what I'd expected from The Ohio State University. Am I missing something or are the pharmacy facilities actually this rundown?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about the pharmacy lab, or the entire pharmacy building?

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to ohio state and I agree it's very old and felt like a basement with no windows. columbus was a nice city to live in though.

You must have been really disappointed if you registered a screenname on here about your disappointment. Haha anyway, if it's in state then just go there and you'll thank me later when your not buried by over 200K in loans. You have no idea what taxes do to a pharmacist salary. It's sad but someone has to pay for Trulicity and Viibryd for all the lazy Medicaid folks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
WI spent many years in the "crypt" and got Rennebolm when I started pharmacy school. MN had Wulling Hall which doesn't have air conditioning in the entire building nor central heat in the offices (which really sucks in the Minnesotan winter) before Weaver-Densford and was still used as office space until very recently for faculty in exile. Get used to the basement, it's how most Burton-Hill hospitals are built, and that's where you'll find most pharmacies today.

Why don't you go to Toledo or Northern (ugh)?

Reactions: 1 user
WI spent many years in the "crypt" and got Rennebolm when I started pharmacy school. MN had Wulling Hall which doesn't have air conditioning in the entire building nor central heat in the offices (which really sucks in the Minnesotan winter) before Weaver-Densford and was still used as office space until very recently for faculty in exile. Get used to the basement, it's how most Burton-Hill hospitals are built, and that's where you'll find most pharmacies today.

Why don't you go to Toledo or Northern (ugh)?

Isn't it harder to get into Toledo or Northern since you'd be a transfer student? Most of the schools in Ohio (4/7) are 6 year programs, I think there's just OSU, Cincinnati, and NEOMED. All 3 cost about the same if I remember correctly. Somehow I got accepted into OSU but Cincinnati wouldn't even give me an interview, lol.

Living in a basement with no windows for 4-6 years is probably good preparation for hospital pharmacy.

Reactions: 6 users
+ who cares about the facility, it's the program that matters !

Isn't it harder to get into Toledo or Northern since you'd be a transfer student? Most of the schools in Ohio (4/7) are 6 year programs, I think there's just OSU, Cincinnati, and NEOMED. All 3 cost about the same if I remember correctly. Somehow I got accepted into OSU but Cincinnati wouldn't even give me an interview, lol.

That's the out of state bias due to state funding at work. Ohio State does take out of state, but the others have conditional rules about taking anyone from out of state as it's not the state's R1. Same thing with UF and FAMU in Florida, UF is the state's R1 and is given discretion about out of state, where FAMU is not only state-centric, it's also an HBCU which is discouraged from accepting out of state but also very encouraged to take underrepresented minorities. One of my colleagues at UF who used to talk about the politics about competing against FAMU for desirable profile underrepresented minorities, UF would try to arrange for very generous Foundation scholarships for them in the past. And if you're wondering, it has a lot to do with federal funding for diversity programs that drives the competition.

But in terms of buildings, I wouldn't want to be a ed major at Minnesota in particular as their buildings have no air conditioning and have older style heaters where central forced air doesn't always heat the room enough in the winter. Thankfully, most pharmacy schools don't have that problem of having A/C or heating problems as the chemicals and animals in the labs are more important than the students to keep at optimal temperature.

Living in a basement with no windows for 4-6 years is probably good preparation for hospital pharmacy.

And retail feels like being trapped in a zoo cage.

Reactions: 1 users
+ who cares about the facility, it's the program that matters !

Very true. How many undergrads have spent an extra 10k, 20k, or more because "I liked the campus and the culture of the school!" lol

Ok. First, I agree the building is not as modern as other pharmacy schools around. However, they just announced that they are completely re-doing the labs to make them state of the art facilities. Second, who cares about the building. That is such a superficial thought. It is the strength of the program that truly matters. Take a look at ANY of the pharmacy school rankings and tell me where Ohio State is ranked... ALWAYS in the top 10. I agree with your concern as I, myself, was a little disappointed in the facilities. BUT was it really THAT bad? No. Plus, did you see the pharmacy school library? Beautiful location overlooking the shoe. Did you see the multi-million dollar hospital across the street? No it isn't as nice as other schools, however, it isn't THAT bad and, ultimately, the strength of the program is what really matters.

For those who have toured Ohio States' pharmacy facilities, have any of you been a little disappointed? It felt like everything was in a basement, there were no windows, they had barely any open study space, etc. This just isn't what I'd expected from The Ohio State University. Am I missing something or are the pharmacy facilities actually this rundown?

Clearly this is a post from a University of Michigan student. Heh.

All joking aside, many colleges I remember have disappointed me in the looks dept when I remember touring campuses that were supposedly top-rated schools. However, as people have stated before, what counts is the program's strength and opportunities you can exploit there.

Good luck.

Hi everyone! This is a long shot cause this thread is 4 years old but I just got into OSU and am really considering going. Have the facilities been updated since then?? I know they're advertising that in a few months they'll have a bunch of renovations done!