Disclosing Criminal Record to Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmmmm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q1: Would medical schools, residency hospitals and licensing boards find out if I altered the story of a misdemeanor conviction and omitted that it was a felony charge?

Additional info: I was charged with grand larceny but convicted of petty larceny. Applications ask if you were charged/convicted then ask for an explanation. A background check shows the conviction, not the charge.

Q2: I do know the licensing boards are able to access arrest records in addition to the background check; does anyone know if this arrest record shows more information than just a misdemeanor conviction? and do you think at any point I would be asked to provide the police reports?

Additional Info: I can alter my story to downplay the role I played in the crime, which would be beneficial if no police report was asked for. Please let me know thoughts!!!

As an FYI - this happened 5 years ago (when I was 19) and at the time I'll be applying to med school it'll be 6-7 years in the past. I have no other criminal activity and have taken vast steps to improve myself and learn from my mistakes.

Members don't see this ad.

Please let me know if further information is needed. Thanks!

Absolutely do not lie about anything, be as forth with and open about it as possible, lying will only make it worse. Be honest and show that you have changed. I would highly recommend contacting the admissions office of a school you want to apply and ask their opinion before spending a lot of money to try to get in when you have no shot. Crimes of moral turpitude, of which larceny is certainly considered, are looked upon in an extremely unfavorable light. You will have to go out of your way to make up for it.