Discogram system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

painroddin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What discogram manometer are ya'll using and what kind of price? I don't really care if electronic etc. Just trying to find a decent one that doesn't cost what the whole procedure pays nowdays.

Members don't see this ad.

I use my thumb. Either the disk leaks or it doesn't and it either is concordant pain or it's not.

Quantitated mumbo-jumbo is still mumbo-jumbo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I document the existential pain of dealing with questions like that one.

What discogram manometer are ya'll using and what kind of price? I don't really care if electronic etc. Just trying to find a decent one that doesn't cost what the whole procedure pays nowdays.

Neurotherm CDS. Expensive but accurate press readings if you find them important. Other systems I have used the pressure readings bounce all over the place as you manually inject contrast. The CDS pumps it in automatically and at a constant rate. If I paid for it perhaps it wouldn't be so nice. Really nice on someone else's dime.

stryker pressure control and monitoring system. I use this 5-10 times a month

stryker pressure control and monitoring system. I use this 5-10 times a month

The tactile feedback on the buttoms is horrible. I've had to redo levels becuase it did not record. Abandoned years ago and now use manual manometer. But since discos mostly useless, I do 10 per year max.

The tactile feedback on the buttoms is horrible. I've had to redo levels becuase it did not record. Abandoned years ago and now use manual manometer. But since discos mostly useless, I do 10 per year max.

Is 10 your target number for "useless procedures" per year?

Why not shoot for zero?

Just sayin'.

you mean NON radicular pain..........

Fusion for axial low back pain without radiculopathy sounds like bad practice. And does not relieve pain. As there is no deficit on exam for these folks, there is no need for surgery for pain. So yes, I mean radicular pain.
Listhesis and trauma are different stories.

Fusion for axial low back pain without radiculopathy sounds like bad practice. And does not relieve pain. As there is no deficit on exam for these folks, there is no need for surgery for pain. So yes, I mean radicular pain.
Listhesis and trauma are different stories.

Are you happy now, steve? Pinch's brain just exploded.

are there pain doctors that beleive fusion helps for axial back pain?

Fusion helps everything, recommend it to all my patients( particularly multi-level really seems to work well)

Patient pre-spine surgery #1: Tramadol, 1-2 tab q 6 hr prn, #60

Patient 3 months post up: roxicodone 30 mg q4hr, #180

Patient post fusion #2: OxyContin 80 BID plus roxicodone 30 prn

Patient: "Doc, I'm hurtin'. I wanna get off these meds."

Surgeon: "No chance. You'll be on these for life. But there's another surgery that can help..."

Patient: "If so, why the hell didn't you do that one this first time?"

Surgeon: "Do you want the surgery or not?"

Patient: "No, well I..."

Surgeon: "Okay, done. Go to Pain Management. Bye."... >poof< out the door...

Patient pre-spine surgery #1: Tramadol, 1-2 tab q 6 hr prn, #60

Patient 3 months post up: roxicodone 30 mg q4hr, #180

Patient post fusion #2: OxyContin 80 BID plus roxicodone 30 prn

Patient: "Doc, I'm hurtin'. I wanna get off these meds."

Surgeon: "No chance. You'll be on these for life. But there's another surgery that can help..."

Patient: "If so, why the hell didn't you do that one this first time?"

Surgeon: "Do you want the surgery or not?"

Patient: "No, well I..."

Surgeon: "Okay, done. Go to Pain Management. Bye."... >poof< out the door...

You are forgetting that post multi fusion for axial back pain
--the patient comes to pain doc saying

"my surgeon said my surgery was a success, I just need to be followed by pain management now."

I use my thumb. Either the disk leaks or it doesn't and it either is concordant pain or it's not.

Quantitated mumbo-jumbo is still mumbo-jumbo.
I can make almost anyone hurt with enough pressure. Pain with <50psi over opening pressure really isn't all that hard to figure out, even for an old school guy like you.