Dish on UIUC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madspacecadet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign MSP. You all already know about the program but just as a recap: 5 years PhD fully funded, year 1 med school falls somewhere in there, 3 years med school paid for but a much smaller stipend. I know the biological sciences are strong there but I can't find a good objective review of the medical program. does anyone know anymore information on it?

my other choices are not MD/PhD but these other schools are have good rankings and I have a good feel for them.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump...I have the same questions...or more specifically if any current UIUC MSP students want to chime in with their experiences???

Earlier in the application cycle, I had questions about how the funding worked there, and I ended up PMing drdr2010, who was able to answer my question. He's an MD/PhD student in the program, and will probably be able to give you more info about whatever you want to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign MSP. You all already know about the program but just as a recap: 5 years PhD fully funded, year 1 med school falls somewhere in there, 3 years med school paid for but a much smaller stipend. I know the biological sciences are strong there but I can't find a good objective review of the medical program. does anyone know anymore information on it?

my other choices are not MD/PhD but these other schools are have good rankings and I have a good feel for them.

From what I understand their medical program is basically UIC.

specific questions folks?

Do you like the program and do you enjoy living in Urbana? Do you have any regrets about choosing that program? Is the fact that 3rd and 4th year are not fully funded a big deal?

Do you like the program and do you enjoy living in Urbana? Do you have any regrets about choosing that program? Is the fact that 3rd and 4th year are not fully funded a big deal?

No problems/regrets with location. For those who did their undergrad either on the west coast or NE (most of the MSPs, myself included), CU is certainly provides a small town feel. It's a matter of personal preference.

Pros of CU are the low cost of living and inexpensive property. Over two-thirds of my class bought a house within a year of moving here. Cons, well, as before if a city life is important CU is not NY/Boston/LA/SF. Chicago is 2-3h away and I have friends who make it a point of spending a weekend up there once a month or every couple of months. Personally, I'm fine with CU and I find everything I need here. The cornfield mazes still haven't gotten old :)

Re the program:
-The MD portion for MSPs is taught entirely in Urbana by med school/hospital faculty separate from UIC. The small M3-4 class sizes (almost all MSPs) translates into more hands-on time and personalized focus.
-The program director emphasizes that the MSP is research focused, and that's true. The strength lies in UIUC's science/engineering grad programs. Avg PhD in my dept is ~5 years. While most depts are understanding/accomodating of the MD/PhD program, they're unlikely to cut MSPs slack in terms of requirements.
-Support for M2-4 years includes the usual tuition waiver and ~7k per year. Can be supplemented by an M1 TA position. A good portion of us carry F series NRSAs to get us through that period. NB 2008-2010 application cycles seem to be cash laden.
-As usual, program admin are attentive, accessible, and very helpful, like all MSTP and MD/PhD program staff I've met.

Feel free to PM if there are other specific questions. Good luck deciding!

The MD portion for MSPs is taught entirely in Urbana by med school/hospital faculty separate from UIC.

So, you are not in the same class with MS1's from UIC Urbana tracks?

So, you are not in the same class with MS1's from UIC Urbana tracks?

M1s from the "UIC Urbana track" complete only M1 in CU, after which they move to Peoria or Rockford for M2-4. MSPs share the same M1 classes as M1 students in Urbana, but the M2-4 classes in Urbana are almost entirely MSP. This Urbana/Rockford/Peoria program has separate faculty from UIC that is based in Chicago, although both fall under the University of Illinois admin umbrella.