Dismissed from Pharmacy School...advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azchipharm53

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I need some advice about the current situation I am in. I just finished my first semester as a P2 in pharmacy school. I recently struggled my first year and ended up with two D's and was able lot remediate over the summer to place me back into academic good standing. I finished the summer courses with receiving an A and a B in the classes I previously got D's in. So this fall I worked very hard and have improved my study habits to make sure I pass all my classes. I struggled in my PK class all semester as I have difficulty in word based math questions and ended up receiving another D in this class. Also, I ended up getting a 69.65 in my Lit Eval because I didn't do well on the first exam but have passed all my other assignments and the final but was not rounded up to a passing grade of a C. Since I received the two D's my first year and these I was dismissed from the program. I have heard that I can appeal this decision but would like some advice from anyone who has been or knows anyone who has gone through this situation. I know that a few students were already held back from not passing classes the P1 year and were not dismissed. Some of these students were in 3 or 4 classes when I started the program so I found this to be very strange. I feel that I have proved over the summer that i was able to succeed in the classes I did not do well in and this past semester I feel like I only struggled in one class. I was practically passing my Lit Eval class and even passed the final with less than 2 points away from the points needed to get a C. The school handbook says that in order to stay in academic standing i must receive a 2.00 or higher, with the two D's this past fall I am still in good academic standing with a 2.24 (I know its not great but I am trying), I can't imagine myself doing anything else as a career and know that I am capable of succeeding in the program. If anyone has any advice for me in this appeal process it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools require 2.7 or higher in their professional courses to keep advancing. You might hang on for another semester, another year, but some schools are designed to fail good number of students. You need to cut yours loses and look for alternative path. That is what I would do if I was in your position.

Reactions: 1 users
So I need some advice about the current situation I am in. I just finished my first semester as a P2 in pharmacy school. I recently struggled my first year and ended up with two D's and was able lot remediate over the summer to place me back into academic good standing. I finished the summer courses with receiving an A and a B in the classes I previously got D's in. So this fall I worked very hard and have improved my study habits to make sure I pass all my classes. I struggled in my PK class all semester as I have difficulty in word based math questions and ended up receiving another D in this class. Also, I ended up getting a 69.65 in my Lit Eval because I didn't do well on the first exam but have passed all my other assignments and the final but was not rounded up to a passing grade of a C. Since I received the two D's my first year and these I was dismissed from the program. I have heard that I can appeal this decision but would like some advice from anyone who has been or knows anyone who has gone through this situation. I know that a few students were already held back from not passing classes the P1 year and were not dismissed. Some of these students were in 3 or 4 classes when I started the program so I found this to be very strange. I feel that I have proved over the summer that i was able to succeed in the classes I did not do well in and this past semester I feel like I only struggled in one class. I was practically passing my Lit Eval class and even passed the final with less than 2 points away from the points needed to get a C. The school handbook says that in order to stay in academic standing i must receive a 2.00 or higher, with the two D's this past fall I am still in good academic standing with a 2.24 (I know its not great but I am trying), I can't imagine myself doing anything else as a career and know that I am capable of succeeding in the program. If anyone has any advice for me in this appeal process it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
If you had a legitimate medical reason for academic failure at my school (e.g. ADHD) you could retake classes as many times as you want. Ask academic support services about any diagnoses you may have.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be perfectly blunt. First year and PK/lit eval are the tip of the iceberg. Classes will only become harder next semester and p3 year. What makes you so certain you're capable of succeeding in the program when you have a 2.24 GPA?

I'm going to be perfectly blunt. First year and PK/lit eval are the tip of the iceberg. Classes will only become harder next semester and p3 year. What makes you so certain you're capable of succeeding in the program when you have a 2.24 GPA?

Because C's get degrees.

If pharmacy is truly what you want to do, then appeal it. Not saying you should do this, but I know a girl who was in a similar situation and became extremely suicidal/depressed at the dismissal, and she was able to be given one more chance just because she talked about being depressed. If they give you one more chance, study like your life depended on it. No goofing around, wasting time online, etc.
I don't know what the other posters are saying about schools having a minimum # of students to fail--- thats not true. Pharm schools WANT you to pass because a low graduation number is reflected negatively on the school.
Keep your head up and give it one more go! Writing a strong appeal letter is the first step.

Reactions: 1 user
Do pharmacy schools really try to fail a certain number of students every year? Why? Is that how they demonstrate to the accreditation boards that the rigor of the program is legit?

My experience is that Most students accepted into pharmacy school have what it takes to graduate, at least in terms of intellect. Barring some special circumstances like health or emotional reasons, there are 2 major reasons why students dont succeed. First is the more obvious - inadequate self-discipline. Second is not knowing how to teach yourself effectively. Everyone learns a bit differently - the students who struggle but make it through are the ones who eventually figure what works for them in term of learning. Some are auditory, some are visual. Some need to spend 2 hours to learn something their classmate can learn in 30 mins. Some need to review their lecture notes every day, meet the professor for tutoring, plus pull all-nighters while their friend can do it all in 2 days. I think it will help if you take some time to think how you best learn and figure out a consistent routine you can stick to.

Hey, so what did you end up doing?

Hey, so what did you end up doing?

Just making an observation here: you've posted in this in three different threads relating to dismissal from pharmacy school. Since all of those threads are at least a year old, I doubt the original posters will be coming back any time soon. I get the impression you're doing this because you're facing a similar situation, so if that's the case and you need help, you'd get better advice if you just started your own thread. (However, if you're just being nosy, ignore this post. :) )

I graduated almost a decade ago and anyone who failed a class was expelled. Of about 10 in my class to fail out, only one was allowed to come back because she was pregnant when she failed and got lawyers involved.

It surprises me that they'd keep a student who failed two classes.

I graduated almost a decade ago and anyone who failed a class was expelled. Of about 10 in my class to fail out, only one was allowed to come back because she was pregnant when she failed and got lawyers involved.
It surprises me that they'd keep a student who failed two classes.
'

Whoa, what kind of school expels students for failing one class? This is not the norm. Probation yes, repeating classes yes, but expelling for failing one class? I'm curious, was this a private or state and for-profit or non-profit.

'

Whoa, what kind of school expels students for failing one class? This is not the norm. Probation yes, repeating classes yes, but expelling for failing one class? I'm curious, was this a private or state and for-profit or non-profit.

There’s a lot of mistruths spread in this type of thread... I would take that post with a grain of salt.

I’ve yet to see evidence of any pharmacy program not giving people at least a second chance to pass a course. Unless they booted you for failing academic integrity, cheating, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile