Disrobing in clinical practice labs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheFakeDoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does your medical school make you disrobe for clinical practice labs/OMM? (e.g. women in shorts/sports bra, men in shorts) I have a bit of a privacy concern. :/ Please name your school.

Members don't see this ad.

Does your medical school make you disrobe for clinical practice labs/OMM? (e.g. women in shorts/sports bra, men in shorts) I have a bit of a privacy concern. :/ Please name your school.

Like get naked? Or just take off your shirt and stuff? KCU sometimes has us do them for ultrasound labs and stuff like that. But for normal labs and comps? Nope.

I'll name them for you: All of them may require you to wear gym clothes, and for some labs, both men and women will remove their T shirts. The girls are in appropriate sports bras. Both are in shorts or leggings or whatever.
For 1-2 weeks it may be a little weird, but OTOH you are cutting a human body into tiny parts on your lab time; you get used to weird in med school quickly. No one "disrobes" like an object at a nude art class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Naked as in sports bra and shorts..

Well yeah I didn't mean naked like birthday suit. I mean sports bra and shorts. I had to take off my shirt for my OS lab and it kind of sucks but everyone gets over it and it's not awkward. Everyone is there to learn!

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure all schools do for OMM lab - one of the big things that gets drilled into you is to ensure skin contact whenever possible. At LECOM males wear gym shorts/plain t-shirts (shirts get taken off often), females wear gym shorts, a plain shirt(which gets taken off often) and a sports bra. We also have a very strict professionalism policy - if there's any sexual comment/gesture, anyone being made fun of, etc (haven't seen it happen) then you will fail the course and face administrative action.

Patient's come in all shapes, sizes and conditions - we are trained to put personal bias/judgement aside and treat the patient (or simulated patient in this case) with respect.

You'll wear gym shorts and sports bra (if female) and gym shorts only if male.

What they don't tell you is that you change into those clothes in a big room with the rest of your classmates. Sorta pointless to wear the gym clothes when your whole class has seen the goods already isn't it?

Kidding of course!

You'll wear gym shorts and sports bra (if female) and gym shorts only if male.

What they don't tell you is that you change into those clothes in a big room with the rest of your classmates. Sorta pointless to wear the gym clothes when your whole class has seen the goods already isn't it?

Kidding of course!
This actually isn't true everywhere. At my school everyone still wears shirts for most labs.

If you are a woman, plan on a sports bra. If you are a man, plan on being shirtless. It's non-sexual, and you and your classmates are all in it together. Really, nothing to freak out about.

This is what's it's like at my school.

I'll name them for you: All of them may require you to wear gym clothes, and for some labs, both men and women will remove their T shirts. The girls are in appropriate sports bras. Both are in shorts or leggings or whatever.
For 1-2 weeks it may be a little weird, but OTOH you are cutting a human body into tiny parts on your lab time; you get used to weird in med school quickly. No one "disrobes" like an object at a nude art class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think my school might be the strangest one then. For the first few labs, it was shorts and a t-shirt and after that. The default was scrubs*.
*Professors might have made one or two requests for a change in attire during the year.

I think most schools require students to wear gym clothing in OMM and Clinical Practice Labs. A few of my classmates actually suggested to the administration to separate these labs by gender because some students were uncomfortable.

I think most schools require students to wear gym clothing in OMM and Clinical Practice Labs. A few of my classmates actually suggested to the administration to separate these labs by gender because some students were uncomfortable.

So the female DO's only learn to deal with/assess Female MSK anatomy and the males, male anatomy? There are differences.

That's got to be one of the stupidest complaints/suggestions/ideas I've heard from pre-clinical med-students, and that's saying something.

Reactions: 11 users
So the female DO's only learn to deal with/assess Female MSK anatomy and the males, male anatomy? There are differences.

That's got to be one of the stupidest complaints/suggestions/ideas I've heard from pre-clinical med-students, and that's saying something.

Agreed. Also, I've had a couple awkward moments in lab, everybody has, but (as an example) I'd rather my male classmates learned to count ribs on me in class than on real patients in 3rd year.

I've worn jeans and a hoodie to almost every single lab to date. The only ones I haven't are when I wanted to wear scrubs. Women have always had shirts on (i.e. no one has ever been in just a sports bra) and dudes have always had shirts on.

Seriously.

When on my tour at TUCOM the students were in sports bras and shorts and it was a minor shock but now I know it's the norm I'll be ready for it. Time to get my P90X on

I only said some students suggested it to the administration, some students come from cultural and religious backgrounds where it is considered inappropriate to be around someone of the opposite gender who is not dressed.

I only said some students suggested it to the administration, some students come from cultural and religious backgrounds where it is considered inappropriate to be around someone of the opposite gender who is not dressed.

I reserve zero remorse for people who use this as a crutch. When you sign your agreements for medical school and OMM lab that agreement should void all excuses that will hinder your ability to learn appropriately and accurately. I understand religious beliefs are a major influence on individual's everyday lives, but you can't keep it from allowing you to learn the correct way to treat OTHERS.

guys this is why u hit the gym before M1 so all the girls can mire

;)

Reactions: 5 users
I reserve zero remorse for people who use this as a crutch. When you sign your agreements for medical school and OMM lab that agreement should void all excuses that will hinder your ability to learn appropriately and accurately. I understand religious beliefs are a major influence on individual's everyday lives, but you can't keep it from allowing you to learn the correct way to treat OTHERS.

True but with some obvious limitations -- can't force med students to do an abortion rotation.

I attend all OMM labs naked to maximize my palpability.

Well at least your lab partners can tell if you are "appropriately adjusted" prior to checking the symmetry of those pubic tubercles. :rofl:

True but with some obvious limitations -- can't force med students to do an abortion rotation.
Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no such thing as an "abortion" rotation, but I would bet more times than not that OB/Gyn is a core rotation that is required for you to graduate medical school. Even then, abortions aren't in the category of saving lives necessarily, but if it ever came down to an abortion being the life or death decision then you better hope you know what you are doing.

Reactions: 1 users
A 3-item confidential survey requesting information about abortion education throughout the 4 years of medical school was mailed to the OB-GYN clerkship directors of the 126 accredited US medical schools.
Seventy-eight surveys were returned, for a response rate of 62%. Overall, 17% of clerkship directors reported no formal education about abortion either in the preclinical or clinical years. In the third-year OB-GYN rotation, 23% reported no formal education, whereas 32% offered a lecture specifically about abortion. While 45% of third-year rotations offered a clinical experience, participation was generally low. About half of schools offered a fourth-year reproductive health elective, but few students participated.
Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005 Feb;192(2):640-3

I personally did not have a problem disrobing in labs, but I knew a few classmates who took issue and most of them took issue with it out of religious reasons.

Last edited:
I personally did not have a problem disrobing in labs, but I knew a few classmates who took issue and most of them took issue with it out of religious reasons.

We're their hangups about disrobing themselves? Or just being around disrobed members of the opposite sex?

If the latter, how do they plan to practice medicine? Being OK with bodies, and maintaining professional decorum in such settings is critical.

guys this is why u hit the gym before M1 so all the girls can mire

;)
You joke but one of my incoming M1 peer got his acceptance early sept, and has been on his bulking cycle for, I kid you not, "Osteo-aesthetics".

Reactions: 2 users
There is a reason the "get ripped before OMM" thread is so long. Frankly, that is my plan. We have 8 months until school starts, people, no excuses!!

OP, if your concern isn't weight related, say if you have an embarrassing scar or deformity, you might consider therapy before school starts. You will see way worse in your medical career and so will your classmates/future colleagues. 99% of people I know view these things with a great deal of empathy and even sympathy, more than many people with disfigurements probably imagine. There is also makeup that can cover tattoos, scars etc.

If your concern is religious or cultural in nature, therapy could help as well especially if it is with a trusted, liberal-minded rolemodel of the same religion or culture.

If you are just uncomfortable and a very modest person, you could try going to a public gym and slowly getting used to the idea of being in that sort of clothing and around people who are dressed the same.

Last edited:
We're required to wear scrubs for OMM and clinical skills labs. Most people just wear scrubs all day on those days, since our labs are scheduled in the morning. Women wear sports bras underneath. No one is forcing you to take your shirt off, but it's helpful when we were learning thoracic OMM treatments or learning the heart/lung exams for example. Some girls leave their tops on or wear tanktops without issue (i.e. for religious reasons), but basically 98% of people of all shapes and sizes go shirtless when applicable.

We're their hangups about disrobing themselves? Or just being around disrobed members of the opposite sex?

If the latter, how do they plan to practice medicine? Being OK with bodies, and maintaining professional decorum in such settings is critical.

They were some female students from certain religious backgrounds, and they felt uncomfortable being disrobed in a room full of men, my school is nearly 70 percent male. These students had no issue with examining patients, which you usually do behind closed doors, and its just you and the patient.

They were some female students from certain religious backgrounds, and they felt uncomfortable being disrobed in a room full of men, my school is nearly 70 percent male. These students had no issue with examining patients, which you usually do behind closed doors, and its just you and the patient.

I guess those concerns are understandable, but not really practical. The obvious alternative would be to bring in standardized patients for OMM lab, but nobody is going to want to see how much that increases tuition.

Some times it's best to hold your nose and do what needs to be done, or don't participate at all.

I guess those concerns are understandable, but not really practical. The obvious alternative would be to bring in standardized patients for OMM lab, but nobody is going to want to see how much that increases tuition.

Some times it's best to hold your nose and do what needs to be done, or don't participate at all.

In my experience females have more issues disrobing than men because females tend to feel unsafe more than men, also women are supposed to wear sports bras while male students wear t-shirts. I personally have no issue being in gym clothes, but some of my female classmates were uncomfortable.

In my experience females have more issues disrobing than men because females tend to feel unsafe more than men, also women are supposed to wear sports bras while male students wear t-shirts. I personally have no issue being in gym clothes, but some of my female classmates were uncomfortable.
I thought if the school had women wear sports bras, then men would be shirtless? If men are required to wear t shirts, why not have the women wear the same thing?

I can't believe this thread. If you can't go shirtless/ sports bra in front of classmates how in the world can you expect patients to go full-on naked in front of you? Part of medicine is growing up, being mature, and understanding that the human body is more than just sexual.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't believe this thread. If you can't go shirtless/ sports bra in front of classmates how in the world can you expect patients to go full-on naked in front of you? Part of medicine is growing up, being mature, and understanding that the human body is more than just sexual.

Difference is, those classmates are not their trusted physicians, and there aren't other students necessarily standing around ogling while examining the patient--unless person doing the exam is doing so w/o being taught to show respect for pts' modesty. I like to listen to heart and lungs sounds on bare skin. Many don't, but I am very particular and always have been. But I can usually do it while maintaining a reasonable amount of modesty for the patient. Anterior lung and heart lungs can be tricky, given some women's, well, proportions.
Babies don't necessarily give a damn, unless the scope is cold or they just don't like to be touched or they want to play with the tubing of the scope. Tweenies and teen girls, well, they will be sensitive. So I think it's good that some of the girls are sensitive, b/c you have to keep in mind that you will have patients that may be as well. And then there are very large people, where you literally have to move tissue around to hear the best you can.

I can see some heavy set students feeling uncomfortable about this--or perhaps people with serious scars or birthmarks.

Scrubs seems like a reasonable way to go. They are loose enough that you should be able to examine one part at a time and go under w/o causing anyone too much distress.

Last edited:
I go to OSU-COM and no one has ever taken off their shirts for OMM or Clinical skills. They request that you wear scrub bottom and loose fitting T shirts.

When I was much younger, I envisioned medical school as a place where all petty social taboos are discarded with the liberating knowledge of the human body. I guess I was just a silly idealist.