Dissecting the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulAg

Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suppose this is just another 'interview tips' thread but I was thinking perhaps we should dissect it instead. We are pre-vet students after all.

So I was thinking we should hit the major parts of the interview and how we should act, not just how we should respond. Things like sitting down (cross legs? How to sit in the chair?), meeting the interviewers (shake hands before, after, or both?), and stuff like that.

So what I have is:

When sitting down, if you cross your legs like I do where you rest one ankle on the knee of the other leg then you should wear socks that match your shoes. Seems like common sense but one of the adcom members is a professor of mine and she was talking about how many people will wear white socks with black shoes because they think they'll never see the socks, until they cross their legs. Just distracting really.

As for shaking hands, I shook hands both before and after the interview. Before when I was meeting them and after when I was thanking them. I was wondering if this was wrong? It seemed some what awkward to do it both times but maybe that was just the stress.

Also jewelry. Don't wear anything shiny as it may catch reflections as you move your head about. Being male, I don't wear much facial jewelry but I do remember one time watching a woman on stage and she was wearing diamond earrings that caught the reflection every time she moved. It was bedazzling, sure, but I still have no idea what she was doing to this day. You want to dazzle your interviewers with your words and personality, not your glittery bits.
Also if you have a ring then you may want to take it off to avoid fiddling with it if you get nervous. I do this from time to time and am debating on whether to take it off or not. I should, but don't want to.

Sitting up: Beware the bendy chairs. You know, the ones that lean back? Sit on the edge of the seat to avoid getting 'too comfortable'.

I think that's all I have to contribute. Anyone have anything else? Anything to add/correct?
book.png

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any suggestions about this? Where should you start. I figured you dont want to give them your entire life story, but how many accomplishments/activites should you cover. Should you be brief and just get on with the interview or really hit home specific points you want them to know regardless of length. How much (if any) of your personal life should you mention?

Flyonthe wall...I would love to hear your advice. Thanks in advance.

]Where should you start. I figured you dont want to give them your entire life story, but how many accomplishments/activites should you cover. Should you be brief and just get on with the interview or really hit home specific points you want them to know regardless of length. How much (if any) of your personal life should you mention?

You shouldn't have to worry about where to start. They have a plan. Your interviewers have read your file so you don't need to worry about your life story. Most interviews have a list of pre-set questions and a time limit. Let your interviewers ask the questions. Be sure to answer the question asked and nothing more. It's easy to get off topic. A good interviewer will pull you back in to the question asked if you wander.

Review your file and come up with things to add if they inquire about what you've been up to since the application was filed. For many people this will be the best place to talk about fall grades and additional vet jobs. Be prepared to share things we couldn't get from the VIMCAS application.

You're just talking to some people who are trying to learn about you. Relax, keep your eyes on them, and answer their questions in a natural way.

Many schools have employment offices with people available for mock interviews. If you haven't been through an employment interview in a while it's never a bad thing to practice (even if the questions aren't quite the same as you'll be getting for the admission interview).

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't have to worry about where to start. They have a plan. Your interviewers have read your file so you don't need to worry about your life story. Most interviews have a list of pre-set questions and a time limit. Let your interviewers ask the questions. Be sure to answer the question asked and nothing more. It's easy to get off topic. A good interviewer will pull you back in to the question asked if you wander.

Review your file and come up with things to add if they inquire about what you've been up to since the application was filed. For many people this will be the best place to talk about fall grades and additional vet jobs. Be prepared to share things we couldn't get from the VIMCAS application.

You're just talking to some people who are trying to learn about you. Relax, keep your eyes on them, and answer their questions in a natural way.

Many schools have employment offices with people available for mock interviews. If you haven't been through an employment interview in a while it's never a bad thing to practice (even if the questions aren't quite the same as you'll be getting for the admission interview).

Though some schools have "Cold" interviewers where they have not reviewed your file, and I think they ask you in the opening question to give some background on yourself.

Other than that - for interviews - I would stress being yourself. Your outfit likely won't make or break you, nor your socks or jewelry. As long as you are presentable and don't have any glaring interview faux pas' your interviewer will likely be focused on the content of your application and answers.

Last edited:
Though some schools have "Cold" interviewers where they have not reviewed your file, and I think they ask you in the opening question to give some background on yourself.
I personally think cold interviews are BS.. But a fact of life. One of the reasons that people get hired on at Universities and corporations (and payed all kinds of money) to determine the best way to pick the best people. Clearly after decades they still don't know.

Anyway my take on the goal with the cold interview is to see how well you communicate with a stranger and not any right or wrong answers. They still will have a few set questions. Try to be engaging but concise.

As an applicant for veterinary school, it has been implied that being a technician may actually be a deterant, so Im concerned about putting to much emphasis on this subject.
Experienced techs can be the best students and the worst. I like them because they fully understand the profession and bring a lot of animal handling and hands-on skills to the program. The problem ones already know it all and don't really want to learn from the faculty.

Play up your understanding of the profession, how all the time spent has solidified your career goals. Make it clear you want to learn and really come to understand the medical side .

Last edited:
Do wear a nice grey or black suit. Do pick out a conservative, but not dull tie. Do wear appropriate dress shoes and remember to shave. Do arrive early and try to remember names in order to send thank you cards. Most of all... remember to zip your damn fly prior to the interview with the president of the VVMA and the school's dean of professional programs.............I felt like such a putz, this guy wants to be a doctor but can't zip up the fly on a pair of dress slacks. I guess it didn't really matter to anyone else all that much. So just be yourself and show them you are an affable, intelligent person and you'll do great. Good Luck