diversity of classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hnbui

Addicted to Yale Med
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much is this a factor in admissions? I mean is it okay if most of your classes are science classes, ie. alot of upper level bio classes. Is it okay that an applicant only has taken around 7-9 liberal arts classes so far throughout his or her undergraduate career?

Members don't see this ad.

hnbui said:
How much is this a factor in admissions? I mean is it okay if most of your classes are science classes, ie. alot of upper level bio classes. Is it okay that an applicant only has taken around 7-9 liberal arts classes so far throughout his or her undergraduate career?

It doesn't really matter -- diversity cuts both ways. Schools need both scientists and humanity majors in order to be diverse. Take the courses you enjoy, along with the applicable prereqs, and do well at them and you are likely fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really know, because I'm new to the whole pre-med thing, but I have always heard that medical schools look for applicants that will stand out among the rest. They see so many biology majors - anything that will make you look different will help you stand out. Taking humanities and liberal arts classes would, in my opinion, make you stand out. I don't really see a lack of these classes hurting you, but taking them might help. Anyone agree/disagree? Again, i may be wrong.

yeah. I really don't mean to be anal about it. It's just that i would really rather spend my time taking upper level bio courses than liberal arts ones.