This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blkgrlwhtecoat

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently just graduated college with a cGPA of 3.29 and a sGPA of 2.8. I intended to apply to different degree granting post-baccs for Fall 2021, but at the last minute decided not to apply due to financial reasons. In undergrad, while I struggled in some of my science courses, I was still able to participate in great pre-health programs and internships each summer. I know that I have a strong resume, but I felt like I needed to build my sGPA before taking the MCAT and applying to medical school. Now, I am starting a DIY program in the fall that only consists of taking the required pre-reqs for medical school, there is no integration of graduate school course work. My pre-health advisor from my old college insists that I just apply as a non-degree graduate student and take a few upper-level grad courses to get into a graduate program next fall or spring, and sit for the MCAT just in case. My new pre-health advisor is recommending that I only take the classes I struggled with over and that I shouldn't take graduate level course work because that is "frowned upon."

I guess my question is, do schools look at taking graduate curriculum more favorably than just retaking pre-requisites? I've researched post-bacc programs like Columbia, Drexel, Meharry, and Johns Hopkins and while some programs like Columbia just go over undergraduate coursework, other programs like Drexel incorporate graduate coursework into their post-bacc curriculum?

I also intend to email the prospective graduate programs and medical schools I would like to attend to see what they say. Classes start next week so hopefully I figure out which route to take sooner than later.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea what your old advisor is talking about, but your new advisor seems to be on the right track. To boost your sGPA, you should be taking undergraduate classes. Graduate coursework is not highly regarded by medical schools (grade inflation is rampant), and besides, any grad courses you do take are factored into a separate GPA on your medical school applications. So undergraduate coursework is the way to go in a DIY grade repair postbac.

Further, you should not be retaking any prerequisites in which you earned a C or better - it's not clear to me which ones you've completed, but if you earned at least a 2.0 the first go around, do not retake it. You can instead boost your sGPA by enrolling and excelling in upper division science courses (e.g., 300- or 400-level chemistry or biology courses).

Reactions: 1 users