Do all pre-req courses have to be taken with a lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stupendous

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As title says, do all the pre-req courses have to be taken with a lab? For example with chemistry, biology, physics, etc. I'm wondering because my majors didn't require the lab with 2nd semester Physics.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe so. If they have a lab then they require a lab. i suggest you take the class with the lab.

I had another question as well - do you have to have all of your prequisites completed before you apply. I will be done my last prereq class in the summer but only everything up to spring will be on my transcript. so can i still apply at that time?

as far as i'm concerned, med schools do want you to have that science course plus a lab.

check the school website to see what their requirements are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking at the UofAZ website and all I found was

2. All applicants must successfully complete two full semesters (three quarters), or equivalent, in each of the following areas: general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, general biology or zoology, and English (composition, literature).

I guess I'll go to the library tomorrow and look at the MSAR and see what it says. Crap. If they require it I am screwed because I'm applying for 2005. Why didn't I think of this sooner.

I'm starting at Wash U (STL) this August. I have taken only 1 quarter of Intro Bio lab and have not finished O Chem or Physics labs either. For that matter, I am not even going to actually earn an undergrad degree.

Other schools I know of that don't require labs are UCSD and UC Irvine.

You will have to weigh your options. If you have compelling reasons to not take certain classes, it IS possible to get into a good med school without labs and without a BS or BA degree.

What I did was not mention those things on my app's, and I was careful to not apply to schools that expressly require a degree or lab courses. After I was accepted I called them to say I wasn't graduating, and the admissions office said it was no big deal to them.

Hopefully you'll be able to offset these weaknesses with some big strengths (mine were my ER experience and a big MCAT score).

-Dalo

There was someone in my ochem class this semester who was accepted to two schools without Ochem II. She was just taking the lecture to fulfill their requirements, but it might be different for you since she was already accepted...