DO Bias in Residency Apps - any improvement this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Charting outcomes will come out this next summer after this current cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
A little off topic but does anyone know when the next charting outcomes for DOs will come out? I’m 3rd year and trying to figure out if it’ll be out before ERAS opens.
It's every 2 years. Last one was 2018. Next one is 2020. Probably after the match.

Last edited:
Except board scores get you past the screen as well as acts as a big part of the ranking process. All per directors survey.

Take a good look for Psychiatry.... look where USMLE Step 1 scores fall in importance. Now compare it to ANY OTHER SPECIALTY and tell me I'm wrong. Average rating of importance for Step 1 is a 3.6. And I can say this for fact as my school is fortunate enough to have multiple psych residency panels where I see applicants from multiple years matching into phenomenal psych programs with low to mid COMLEX scores and no USMLE's. Meanwhile I read on SDN how applicants with great step scores either are not matching or getting low on their rank lists. Ppl are just too quick to point everything to a step score, and I sure am happy many PD's don't see it this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where's your MyEras stamp? I don't want to hear any opinion about the residency application process unless you're currently a MSIV or above.

lmaoo because the person APPLYING knows more about what they look for then someone who's not an MSIV? If you at least said a PGY-1 or above in Psych I'd give you some credit... and even at that it would be limited due to how wildly variable each program is at selecting their applicants. And 2 I'll say as I please, it's a public forum.

lmaoo because the person APPLYING knows more about what they look for then someone who's not an MSIV? If you at least said a PGY-1 or above in Psych I'd give you some credit... and even at that it would be limited due to how wildly variable each program is at selecting their applicants. And 2 I'll say as I please, it's a public forum.

In essence, you don’t have any credibility. Got it.

I mean, we’re going to lose spots from AOA programs that don’t transition due to the merger in addition to adding several hundred students. Did anyone actually expect it to get easier?

I’m just glad I’m going into match next year vs this current class that has to deal with 5 new COMs worth of students.

I mean, we’re going to lose spots from AOA programs that don’t transition due to the merger in addition to adding several hundred students. Did anyone actually expect it to get easier?

I’m just glad I’m going into match next year vs this current class that has to deal with 5 new COMs worth of students.
?

There’s going to be more US grads next year than this year bud lol

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry meant the new OMS-I class.
You know your class will still have more students than the previous one did right? How is that a benefit. 'Only' adding 400 vs 1000 is still adding 400.

Reactions: 1 users
You know your class will still have more students than the previous one did right? How is that a benefit. 'Only' adding 400 vs 1000 is still adding 400.

It’s a relative thing. I’d so much rather be applying the year there are 400 more than the 1000 more. Each year is going to get worse and worse thanks to the geniuses at the AOA.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s a relative thing. I’d so much rather be applying the year there are 400 more than the 1000 more. Each year is going to get worse and worse thanks to the geniuses at the AOA.

Even though there’s all this talk of more and more students applying, it’s not gonna affect everyone equally. Regional preferences and school name will start mattering more. If your school historically matches into certain programs for specialties year after year, it’s highly unlikely your spots will be replaced by the new DO student class coming from a different state thousands of miles away.

My schools match list has stayed pretty consistent over the last 5 years, even though Campbell, Marian, ACOM, Liberty, and some other schools have had graduating classes.

Reactions: 4 users
We will start feeling it more once caribs get pushed out. Rock star IMG will always have spots.
time is coming

I don’t even know why this is a discussion since med school spots are increasing faster than res spots

Take a good look for Psychiatry.... look where USMLE Step 1 scores fall in importance. Now compare it to ANY OTHER SPECIALTY and tell me I'm wrong. Average rating of importance for Step 1 is a 3.6. And I can say this for fact as my school is fortunate enough to have multiple psych residency panels where I see applicants from multiple years matching into phenomenal psych programs with low to mid COMLEX scores and no USMLE's. Meanwhile I read on SDN how applicants with great step scores either are not matching or getting low on their rank lists. Ppl are just too quick to point everything to a step score, and I sure am happy many PD's don't see it this way.
US MD student, but I’m so glad someone was able to say this pointedly. People often forget about the sdn bias. There is someone at my school with 3 board failures with multiple interviews. In regard to psych, I have 3 classmates with step 1 scores ranging from a 1st time fail to 223 and each has 9 or more interviews. If sdn were real life everyone with a sub 230 would be cleaning toilets. My husband worked in meded and for a specialty like psych, things like dedication prior to m3, step 2, research, and lors can go a long way. Keep your heads up

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
US MD student, but I’m so glad someone was able to say this pointedly. People often forget about the sdn bias. There is someone at my school with 3 board failures with multiple interviews. In regard to psych, I have 3 classmates with step 1 scores ranging from a 1st time fail to 223 and each has 9 or more interviews. If sdn were real life everyone with a sub 230 would be cleaning toilets. My husband worked in meded and for a specialty like psych, things like dedication prior to m3, step 2, research, and lors can go a long way. Keep your heads up
You are talking about USMD students. I don't know any DO applying psych with a failed board who has 9 interviews. However, I know plenty that didn't fail anything with less than 9 interviews tho.

You are talking about USMD students. I don't know any DO applying psych with a failed board who has 9 interviews. However, I know plenty that didn't fail anything with less than 9 interviews tho.

Yup. LOL. There are going to be a lot of tears and bitterness coming to the DO land in the next couple of years.